Maiden voyage completed! Lessons learned and a pair of wet shoes.

andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
Well we did it! Our first trip. Two nights out in our 2021 320S Boondock not too far from home. I've been stressing and overthinking things enough that I had my checklists---both mental and written---all checked off before we hit the road. Of course there was one hitch, literally, at first. Crank the hitch jack up, not down. Never mind....We got to the campground and entertained the masses with trying to back in. After so many attempts, most the people got bored and went about their business. Kind of a weird angled entry point so it was hard to get a straight shot at it and once you get jack-knifed doesn't seem like anything will make it better. Finally did an illegal move and got backed in just fine. Got set up in no time. Then went about organizing the inside.
First lesson learned: "Would you just get out of the way? PLEASE!" is not a good way to start a trip. Claustrophobia and disorganization make me grumpy.
But then we learned a lot. When it's 98-degrees out, the air conditioning can only do so much. We don't need extra plates and bowls and silverware; wash and dry as you go, there's no room to do anything else. And don't let the water run when doing dishes when you're not hooked up to city water. Or brushing your teeth. And the hot water tank isn't very big.
I learned to duck when going outside, that doorway is short. And I ducked maybe every other time. Hard on a bald head like mine. Close the cassette toilet trap door when we're done. And on a related note, careful as to how much holding tank treatment you use. We used Thetford Aqua-Kem. I think I used a bit much. In the middle of night, that smell nearly drove us outside. It wasn't pleasing any longer. The cassette door was left open. Thank goodness for the ceiling fan and open windows. By then it was 80-degrees and Iowa humid. The AC was saying, "there's no way I can help much." It was mostly right.
Th next day, we organized and re-organized and figured out we needed, what we didn't and what we needed to get, like space-saving food and liquid containers. Also we learned sometimes 3M Command Strips let go, usually in the middle of the night when we also learned the Alde control panel is quite bright unless you figure out how to dim it. We did. At like 2 a.m. No light needed.
The second day, it felt like home. Our list of needed things and what we need to do different continued to grow.
And still does.
And when it was time to go, we got packed up, hitched up and ready to go with precision.
Got to dump station. Pulled out the toilet cassette and emptied it without issue. What a wonderful invention. I can't imagine life without one. Got the gray water hose already to go. Opened the hatch and that waste water came rushing out all over my shoes, gallons before I could get the hose attached. Seems as though the valve had been left open after sanitizing. Lesson learned. You open it, you close it. It doesn't close on its own. Glad it was gray water and not black. VERY glad.
First trip down. A wealth of knowledge gained. And we're readying for the next trip out on Tuesday. We can hardly wait. We love this t@b life.

2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments

• brianbbrianb Member Posts: 8
    That was awesome.  Looking forward to your next report... :)
    2021 TAB320S Boondock
    2021 Ridgeline
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    really appreciate your ...whimsical account.  T@b life is good.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @andyboy - that Aqua Chem is nasty.  Just go get some Happy Camper and call it a day.  Fabulous stuff.  Just remember, you tend to learn and remember those lessons you learned the hard way😂
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    A better solution is silicone bags and containers that collapse, are reusable and more environmentally friendly.  When we use Ziplock bags, mostly the larger gallon size, we get the freezer type which are more durable and wash them for reuse.  But the silicone containers are easily washed and last much longer.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Verna said:
    Your friends for food storage, and for small odds and ends, are Ziplocks. Quart size and gallon size, toss the boxes they come in and use rubber bands to keep each size together.  

By the way, go to the women’s hair section and get a package of pony tail holders as they last longer than rubber bands.  
    @Verna shared this tip before and I adopted it. Ziplocks really help ypu maximize your space.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    Happy Camper! Sounds like  lit that’ll make for happier camper! So many lessons learned right here! Thanks!
    Ziplocs for sure. We’re so experienced—one time—we transport cold food in a cooler in our Jeep and then transfer it  to the refrigerator when we get to the campsite. Our thinking was to allow the refrigerator to get to temp. We were thinking smaller Tupperware-ish things that are leak proof and non-squishable.
    we have got some small silicon tubes for confiments and such.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
    @andyboy - make sure to pre cool your frig before leaving if at all possible.  My DH cools and fills it the day before we depart.  If you can’t pre cool (like if you depart from a storage facility): then put multiple frozen bottles of water in the frig to get it colder faster.  You can then drink the water as it thaws.
    Ha! I followed your advice on the frozen water!
    just wondering how long it takes the refrigerator to get to temp? Yes, from a storage joint, so basically from hot.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
    I think it will take a LONG time if you are starting with a hot frig!  Stuff as many frozen bottles as possible into the frig.  As long as you are towing in very hot temps, it will be a struggle.  Hard to overcome high temps and cycle the frig continuously while towing through high temperatures.  
    Autumn will come to the great Midwest too soon. We can deal. Then it’ll be winter. Dang it...
    Until then, sounds like  the cooler transport will work just fine.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @andyboy, I took a short overnight trip in the 400 last month. It was 98* in the 400 when I turned on the fridge. I put 6 frozen 16.9 oz bottles of water on the top shelf of the fridge, the night before I left. 

The next morning, I put 6 more frozen bottles of water in the fridge, on the top shelf, moving the partly thawed ones to the bottom shelf. And I put my drinks and breakfast in the fridge before I left. By 6 pm, when I arrived at my destination, the fridge was cold, my wine was chilled and I was happy. 

So, start cooling the night before, giving the fridge some help with frozen water bottles, or whatever, add more frozen water bottles if needed. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Sounds great. I’ll get bottles freezing tonight and start cooling down the fridge tomorrow night for a Tuesday departure. Nice to know I’ll have chilled tequila waiting  after set-up. Cheers! And thanks. 
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2020
    I really enjoyed your post! Keep them coming.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    Love how you took the learning curve in stride with a good dose of humor 😅
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Hello!  We are awaiting delivery of our 2021 CS-S in late September and will then be making our maiden voyage :-). 😊. I have a few questions, and would be so grateful if anyone can chime in. Cheers!  

1)Does anybody know if T@B supplies the water hose to connect to water supply at campground?  If not, any recommendation on what to purchase and length, 25feet?  
    2) Do you need any type of hose to drain the black cassette tank, or do you just open it up and dump it? 
    3) what type of hose do you need to drain the grey water tank?  And how do you clean it out after dumping (same for casette tank)
    4). Water pressure regulator - any tips on which one to purchase?  

Isla 

• kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2020
    @andyboy fwiw we camped in your exact same model (2021 320s BD) in Iowa during that heatwave in early July - 99deg 99% humidity... effectively a jungle in Iowa! 

BUT our AC worked marvelously and kept the Tab super cool during even the peak of the day!

You just need to read through the stickied thread on how to adjust the Air8 to run properly, it makes a night and day difference.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11301/elwell-air8-air-conditioner-programming-change

Cheers! And great write up lol’d many times! 
    Thanks for the tip. I'll devour that thread. Sure will make for a happier marriage! That was a nasty heat wave. Glad to know the AC can handle it.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
    edited September 2020
    @crescentmooncamper - Welcome to the forum.  

Although dealers may throw in a goody bag with “stuff”, nuCamp does not supply any of the items listed.

1.  Most owners have a 25 ft white, potable water hose.  You can always pick up an additional 25 ft later.  Depends on where you camp, how you turn the trailer, etc.

2.  The cassette toilet is new and it is designed to be lifted and dumped.  @jkjenn did a YouTube video on it.

3.  For the gray water tank, prior to the cassette toilets, most owners used their sewer hose to drain the gray and black tank.  If you want, you can pick up a special cap with a garden hose outlet that allows the gray tank to drain without the large sewer hose. Be aware that it will be slow to drain this way.  We use a short black washing machine hose (very slow), but you can pick up a short section of garden hose to use at the dump say 10 - 15 ft.

4.  Go to Amazon and get a brass water regulator.  Plastic won’t last.

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @crescentmooncamper..check and see what your dealer is providing... we'll be getting our first grey water hose..assuming we'll be upgrading  it but at least we'll have one...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Here's the initial list I was provided by Sharon_is_Sam and others on this forum, which will probably echo some of which that has been listed. Some you asked about, some you didn't but I think are good things to have.
    In no particular order: a surge protector, water pressure regulator, sewer hose and drinking water hose,  stabilizer pads, coupler/wheel locks, water filter and a patio sized Thermacell for bugs!

Here's what I got from advice listed on this forum:
    --an  EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector by Progressive Industries. (got it on Amazon. Like $440. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    --for the sewer hose, got this Camco RhinoFlex. LOVE IT! I got a 15-footer. Amazon has them of course but I got mine at Walmart. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFLEX-Translucent-Frustration-Free-39742/dp/B01HPHR30U/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=rv+sewer+hose&qid=1600007039&sr=8-6
    --drinking water hose: I have two. A CAMCO EVO-Flex 10-foot  and a Teknor Apex RV/Marine Hybrid Hose 50-foot. Got the CAMCO at Walmart, the Apex from Camping World.
    --the Thermacell bug thing. Love it. Amazon.

Now these last two, there's as much discussion about what is best as there are options. I opted for these.
    --Coupler lock: I got this from Proven Industries; https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2178-a
    --Wheel locks:I got the Trimax TCL Wheel Chock Lock. Amazon

So that's for starters. The more time you spend here on the terrific forum, the more you'll learn about what's out there. And it's a jungle.

And more thing! The toilet cassette--I can't imagine life before it and glad I never knew. Ewwww! Use Happy Camper holding tank treatment. I don't know all it does but it sure keeps the odors away and has no odor of its own. It will definitely make you a happy camper. This is another Sharon_is_Sam recommendation. She's got the answers.

Hello!  We are awaiting delivery of our 2021 CS-S in late September and will then be making our maiden voyage :-). 😊. I have a few questions, and would be so grateful if anyone can chime in. Cheers!  

1)Does anybody know if T@B supplies the water hose to connect to water supply at campground?  If not, any recommendation on what to purchase and length, 25feet?  
    2) Do you need any type of hose to drain the black cassette tank, or do you just open it up and dump it? 
    3) what type of hose do you need to drain the grey water tank?  And how do you clean it out after dumping (same for casette tank)
    4). Water pressure regulator - any tips on which one to purchase?  

Isla 

2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
    edited September 2020
    Yes, I think we are finally catching up to Europe, with the switch to cassette chemical toilets here in the US.  But before they get wide spread acceptance here, we need to add the dumping infrastructure used in the U.K. and a Europe, where the cassette is inserted into a dumping box.  Some add a rinse system also.  Newer ones look like a big vending machine.  You do not see or get smells back at you.  Once we get the dump stations established, black tank systems says are numbered.
    Seems like a very clean method, and addresses the issues and mess when dumping the cassette into a toilet.  In UK (and most of Europe), you can only dump the cassette in what they call a chemical toilet dumping station.
    cheers
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, I think we are finally catching up to Europe, with the switch to cassette chemical toilets here in the US.  But before they get wide spread acceptance here, we need to add the dumping infrastructure used in the U.K. and a Europe, where the cassette is inserted into a dumping box.  Some add a rinse system also.  Newer ones look like a big vending machine.  You do not see or get smells back at you.  Once we get the dump stations established, black tank systems says are numbered.
    Seems like a very clean method, and addresses the issues and mess when dumping the cassette into a toilet.  In UK (and most of Europe), you can only dump the cassette in what they call a chemical toilet dumping station.
    cheers
    That was a prototype and Thetford isn't making it in Europe any more.

I have dumped at a FHU site, dump stations, and a home toilet. It is super easy and clean.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Toto bad, ‘‘twas a grand idea...
    cheers