Options

No place for my spare after dealer mod

Hi there. I need a bit of advice. I have a 2020 T@B 320 Boondock. I wanted a bit off extra storage in the front bin and also a battery upgrade. My dealer put the larger NuCamp tub on the front with dual 6V batteries. We also installed the Quattro at the same time. I went to pick up my camper and the dealer says the tire doesn’t fit on the front anymore and that he didn’t realize it until they were done the modification. I asked if I could mount the tire on the rack in the back and he said that wasn’t recommended due to lightening the tongue weight and that he was going to mount it under the tongue. They walked me out to a 2021 400 and said it would be mounted underneath in a similar fashion. I got down on the ground and couldn’t see any room for that kind of a modification without it going directly onto the tongue and then I only have about 3-4 inches of clearance. I am now driving around with the tire in my TV because I have no where to put it and my dealer isn’t responding to my emails. 
I am not opposed to mounting the tire on the back but wonder if there is a reason I shouldn’t. My other option is to find a machinist that might be able to do a welding modification to give me the tiny bit of space I need. Per the dealer it is about 1/2”. My son suggested I deflate  the tire to allow it to fit and then refill with an emergency canister if needed. I am not sure that would be good for the tire. Lastly I could  just undo the modifications and go with the lithium battery in the smaller tub. Not a fan of this as I have already spent enough money and think the service manager should have verified there was space before going down this path. Has anyone run into this problem?
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited August 2020
    Before deciding anything, I’d get that tongue weighed as is. You have two heavy batteries in the tub. Even with the Quattro weighing down the back a little, you should be around 250 on the tongue fully loaded (assuming food in the fridge and normal gear in the cabinets). Mine’s at 225 the minute I load the fridge, with only one battery, and my tire’s in the back already.

I highly doubt you’d end up too light with it on the rear rack as a result, but we won’t know until you get a weight. If you need help getting that, PM me. 

Regarding getting the tire on the front, there was a thread on this just a week or so back. They had to knock out the studs on the mount that hold the tire in place and use bolts instead, so the tire gets squeezed into position between the jack and the tire mount, and then the bolts are threaded in to lock it into the mount. (Edit: Found it...  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11532/resolved-perplexed-with-tire-carrier-woes  I’d forward this to the dealer and ask if it will solve the problem.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Kr@cken said:
    We also installed the Quattro at the same time.
    Forgive my ignorance @Kr@cken. What is a Quattro?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    It is the newer model of the Purpleline self driving mechanisms for campers. I live on a sand spit that is a one lane narrow road and a slightly uphill gravel driveway. I was unable to get the camper out unless my neighbor moved his car and someone could help with the tailor dolly in the gravel. The Quattro made it possible for me to get in and out by myself in a matter of minutes.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Thanks for educating me @Kr@cken!

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Thank you for the link. I sent it to my dealer this morning. I am cautiously optimistic. Will check my tongue weight today with and without.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa