Options

Inverter failure on TaB 400

Comments

• Options
    SimbionicSimbionic Member Posts: 23
    When I first brought my brand new 2021 tab 400 Boondock home last week the inverter was making a high pitched whine when I entered the unit. The inverter red light was on so I turned it off (switch in cubby by the bed). It seemed to be working on our initial walkthru. Haven’t  been able to turn it back on. Neither I nor anyone at the dealer can figure out why, including having a technician at NuCamp on the phone with us. Among other things, he was referencing a glass fuse on the inverter itself, which we could not identify. I’m taking it back tomorrow for them to spend more time trouble shooting and determine if we should replace the inverter. No fuses are blown in the fuse box. Any insight to this issue?
    Simbionic
    Tab 400BD
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX460
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Not an insight on that specific inverter, but I've lost three over the last decade. Even when carefully shock mounted and fused on all connections, they don't always last a long time. If you read Amazon reviews of most inverters over 1000W, you'll see hundreds of reviews of folks who had one for 3 or 6 months, then suddenly pfffft. Several on this forum have said that Samlex or Victron inverters are far more reliable, but they cost twice as much.

But in your case it should relatively quickly be swapped out as a warranty item, if it has sadly passed on from its happy duties supporting your T@B.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Is battery low? Otherwise I suspect bad unit since brand new. There is probably a fuse between battery and the inverter, but I don't have one to know for sure.

I have two Samlex inverters that are several years old, good brand IMO.

On my list to add to the 400 is a Victron inverter, charger, but need to save a few more pennies
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2020
    Follow the red batrery wire from the inverter to the battery and you will find the large in-line fuse, the case is about 3/4-1 inch square, can’t miss it.  Remove the cover to access the fuse (cover lifts up and snaps off, some need to be pulled up then off.  Newer inverters seem to come with an internal fuse inside the inverter case.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SimbionicSimbionic Member Posts: 23
    Tech at NuCamp kept saying there’s a ‘glass fuse’ on the side of the inverter but we couldn’t find it. 
    Thanks for your thoughts! Likely going to replace the inverter under warranty. 
    Simbionic
    Tab 400BD
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX460
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,703
    @Simbionic The fuse for the inverter may be inside the unit.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Here is what the fuse looks like and it’s approximate location on a 2018/219 build TaB400:

The fuse is located between the battery box and inverter.  On a 2021 his location is in the middle back area behind the lift up storage compartment.  You need to remove the screws on the cover plywood panel under the bunk.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    frankleofrankleo Member Posts: 1
    This happen to me on my 2021 tab 400 while bondocking today. I had an electric kettle fired up and pop, the aims shut off. Replaced the fuses in the breaker and the one by the reset switch on the outside panel and nothing. Hit the yellow reset switch 10 times, still nothing. Have not looked to closely at the inverter itself but I don’t see a fuse in it or around it, think it might be in another compartment. Was really hoping it was an easy fix, but alas back to the radio! Working with Nucamp service to see what else I can try.