Just a wee bit of early snow...

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited November 2014 in Camping & Travel
Hi Jenn. 

Missed your message (too busy shoveling!)

We were lucky. The snow band was kind to us this time. We only got 3 or 4 feet here at home, but 15 miles north is where people were getting buried with 5-7 feet - or so they say - travel bans have prevented us getting out to be able to confirm the crazy news reports! 

The snow has compressed now, down to about 2½ feet.

I think I'm tired of plowing and shoveling already, and winter hasn't even begun....

;-) 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Keep it, please.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Go see if it really is 7 feet like the news says and let us know! Ha! We are having rain in Oklahoma. When one has a cold it is super dreary.
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    And I thought my T@b was covered the last two weeks - Wowzer.
    Are you having the extreme cold also? I had a foot of snow with highs of 10-15 and lows down to -1.

Waited for the roads to clear (blowing snow) and a couple of FedEx shipments and am finally on the road headed south to below the freeze and heavy snow line. Playin gypsie with no set itinerary.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks Allie, we're breathing easier here. 

We've had it much easier than others a bit further north.

I think Lancaster is probably still digging, but most of the snow is gone now from our back yard.

Still praying the runoff stays out of basements though.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389

Chan, so glad you posted the pictures. We had freezing rain between here and the NY border or else I would have tried a little road trip to see some of the deep snow yesterday. It probably won't be the last we see of crazy snow this winter. Joe Bastardi, who is the best long range forecaster around, is comparing this winter to 1976-1977.

The east coast will get a nice little dump just in time to disrupt holiday travel this week.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Frightful, Chan.  Last year was sleet, ice, and wind.  This year it looks like snow.  Makes me want to escape to Arizona.  Stay safe and warm all you T@bbers.    :((
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Snow is all gone here in Mid-Michigan and thoughts and prayers are with those impacted by all the lake effect snowfall in the Buffalo region.  What a mess!!!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    From a Floridian's point of view, that SNOWT@B is gorgeous. :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Question: We are expecting a one day snow storm down in the teens (maybe 19 degrees overnight) but then it's supposed to get warm again. We have plans to camp later this month and in Oct so hate to winterize the T@B now! Thoughts?
    Thanks, K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It depends on how cold and how long if it will do damage. Water still freezes at 32f and if it breaks you have to fix it, not us. If it is going to be 19 for a few hours, probably should winterize
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Done properly, winterizing takes less than an hour, even at my painfully slow speed...faster for most folks. Are expensive frozen pipes really worth saving an hour? Not worth the risk in my book.

For a short term winterization like this: Blow out the system with a compressor, dump some RV antifreeze into the drains, and literally all you’ll have to do to go camping again is fill your water tank back up. You won’t even have to sanitize, because there’s no antifreeze in the water lines.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @KAR, I'm with @VictoriaP.

I made the mistake one year, after coming back from a nice winter road trip, of leaving the Tab un-winterized for the last part of April, figuring I could just keep the heat on and keep everything warm inside, and the pipes would be fine.

The inside pipes were fine. The Alde kept it nice and warm in there.

The thing I didn't think of was the black and gray drain valves, which are outdoors exposed to the weather! They had water in the mechanism, in the blade-slide area, which froze and cracked the valve.

I learned how to replace the black water gate valve that year!

So remember when you winterize to run a little antifreeze out the drain valves into a bucket or something, and operate them while the antifreeze is going out, to make sure the antifreeze gets into the mechanism.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Thanks all! We lucked out and got to put Tabby in a heated garage up the street! Will use this info for the next storm though! THANKS!
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Even though we store our TaB in a heated facility, we still winterize.  No guarantee the electricity and/or generator won’t fail.  Plus, it would be ready to travel at a moments notice.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio