Options

Checking brake and turn signal lights when you're solo

A friend suggested that I use one of my hiking trekking poles for this. Place the pointy end on the brake pedal, and the handle end up against the seat. It works pretty well. What do other solo flyers do for this?
2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Turn on your headlights also so you can check the running lights plus all of the lights on your tow vehicle
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    4ncar said:
    Headlamps on AND emergency flashers on all at the same time.
    Correct hazard lights turn signals and brake lights are all on the same circuit.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Well well well. I sure like learning new things....
    I've always used the turn signals.

Right one - run back and check (or ask DW...)
    Left one - go back and check...

Hmmmm.

Use the four ways instead! What a concept!

Thanks @XenanMe
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ChanW said:
    Well well well. I sure like learning new things....
    I've always used the turn signals.

Right one - run back and check (or ask DW...)
    Left one - go back and check...

Hmmmm.

Use the four ways instead! What a concept!

Thanks @XenanMe
    Sometimes we just need a little nudge get get rolling down hill! 😉
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Yeah, some of us get stuck with that little stone behind the front right tire!   :|  
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW, I’ve always done this going back to the “Circle of Safety” from my early Bell System days. Turn on headlights and turn signals then touch each light (except the roof beacon!) as I checked it. I still touch each light as I check it, except those three running lights above the 400’s rear window. 

I find myself counting the connections and closures between the T@B and the hitch and if I don’t come up with the correct number, I start again until I reach the correct number. (That includes closing and locking the truck shell, closing and making sure the rubber closure on the front tub is locked). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    For me my memory has always sucked, as a pilot it's all about check lists. After many trips this summer my checklists are still being updated. Like this one, but it may be false economy, you activate them all once but you still need to verify each light. Good idea, wish I'd thought of it!
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2020
    When I used to pull a car hauler and would frequently hook up solo, I would try to connect at night. With no other lights on it was easy enough to check brake light glow in side view mirrors. If I had to check brakes in the day, I would stand my white Igloo cooler up on end where it would reflect the light to see in side view mirror (not as effective as night check, but could see the glow). All other lights got checked as others have mentioned, hazards and lights on and a walk around.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Technology at it’s best!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2020
    HAHAHA! Good job @Kr@cken. That tech didn't exist back in my racing/big hauler days when I attached trailers solo. Flip phones were a new thing (didn't even have qwerty keypads, let alone video cameras).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    MarkAl said:
    For me my memory has always sucked, as a pilot it's all about check lists. After many trips this summer my checklists are still being updated. Like this one, but it may be false economy, you activate them all once but you still need to verify each light. Good idea, wish I'd thought of it!
    My list for anyone with iOS who wants to use it as a starting point:
    https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0nqJGbAUcmp_1WLdpJhfaQgQw#Shared_T@B_Checklist
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    QUESTION regarding using the emergency flasher to check the brake, hazard and turn indicator lights........will that also demonstrate that your turn signal switch (left and right) and brake pedal switch will also activate the light bulbs?

Although using the emergency flasher will confirm you have power and operable bulbs, I'm not sure that independently confirms that the switches are working properly, without also depressing the brake pedal or activating the turn indicator from left to right.  [On second thought:  Confirming the brake switch operation can be accomplished by testing for power to your trailer brakes as you are driving away from your campsite.]
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited September 2020
    @Bayliss, I knew someone would bring that up!

Solo traveling has it’s challenges, and sometimes you just have to accept that you can’t be 100% all the time. 

I used to check my brake lights before I closed my garage door because I could see the lights in the glass on my storm door inside the garage. I sold that house. Sometimes I can get a glimpse of a reflection in the paint of a vehicle or on the side of a camper. Even at a stop light and in the reflection in the paint of a car behind me. I do the best I can.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Bayliss said:
    QUESTION regarding using the emergency flasher to check the brake, hazard and turn indicator lights........will that also demonstrate that your turn signal switch (left and right) and brake pedal switch will also activate the light bulbs?

Although using the emergency flasher will confirm you have power and operable bulbs, I'm not sure that independently confirms that the switches are working properly, without also depressing the brake pedal or activating the turn indicator from left to right.
    The switching is done on the TV side. Depending on the time of day I can sometimes see the glow of my rear TV lights in the front of the T@B. But I would honestly be interested to hear of a case where the taillights and 4way flashers were properly operating on a trailer but the turn signals didn’t work properly. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    Wow I hadn't anticipated such a lively discussion on my post! So interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this. Thank you!
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    edited September 2020
     :o 
    Just wait til we start talking about how much pressure to put into our tires! .....
    jules2go said:
    Wow I hadn't anticipated such a lively discussion on my post! So interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this. Thank you!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    ChanW said:
     :o 
    Just wait til we start talking about how much pressure to put into our tires! .....
    jules2go said:

That was going to be my next question!
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    @jules2go, if you have the stock tires, pay attention to the sticker on the side of the T@B. If you have replacement tires, pay attention to the new tires’ PSI printed on the tires. I always put 5 less pounds of air in them than the sticker or the tires have printed on them. 

Now the real discussions start.......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I guess I'm lucky that if my wife is not there I can use the key fob which has a trailer check light function built into the truck! 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    @Verna
    mum's the word!....
    Nope! You can't get me to commit. 
    Nosirree!
    Always go with the manufacturer, I say!
    All right. I've said it..
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    I have a window in the front of my home and if I back the trailer up to it, I can see the reflection in the glass in my side mirror. If I'm away from the house and want to check just to make sure, I pull into a strip center and can back up toward the store front glass.