Options

Our Maiden Voyage

Hello, All. My wife, Sara and I (John) are on our maiden voyage in our brand new T@B 320S Boondock pulled by our Toyota Highlander Limited. We traveled from Little Rock, Arkansas to Houston, Texas to see our children and grandchildren. We have not seen them since February and that was the inspiration to get the T@B. We wanted to be safe and self-contained. Everything has really gone well, but we have already had a few near-mistakes. We will return to Little Rock this weekend after a couple more nights camping and I'll give a full update. But, there are a few things I've learned so far:
1-Put the step in before hitting the road.
2-Never arrive on the first night of your maiden voyage after dark. 
3-Put the step in before hitting the road.
4-Leave yourself plenty of room between you and the car in front of you. Even with the electric brake kit, it is different when having to brake suddenly.
5-Put the step in before hitting the road.
6-Lock the generator to the rig even if you are in the vehicle. More on that theft-attempt later. 
7-Smile and be friendly to every motorist who drives by pointing at your trailer yelling, "YOUR STEP IS OUT!"

Comments

• Options
    Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    @JPRoland thanks for the laugh on1,3,5,and 7...reminds me of my motorcycle, I have a sticker that says "Turn the Gas on Dummy".....Need something for the trailer " Put up Step before hitting the Road"  Safe travels....

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Hahahaha

I bet you won't forget to put the step back, again.

Welcome and congrats!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Too funny......everyone has some kind of first outing event. Ours was neglecting to bring toilet paper..it's not happened since. :)
  • Options
    KajakcamperKajakcamper Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for sharing this adventure. You were so fortunate, and it is kind of you to post your experience. We will all learn from this. My TAB 400 will arrive in the future, and I am reading everything I can find about it.
  • Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    Well, Kajakcamper, you are going to love your T@B. I read everything I could and practiced in the driveway, but actually getting out there is the best way. You'll make some mistakes, but you'll continually get better at it.  I know more today than I did a week ago. Have fun.
  • Options
    More on the attempted generator theft: I had read that you should lock down your generator because they are desirable. They're worth cash and easy to pawn. I had mine strapped to the front platform of the trailer but I didn't lock it on the way down to Houston because I knew I would be with it the whole time. I started getting tired in some little east Texas town so we stopped in a Builder's Supply parking lot so I could take a twenty minute nap while Sara made sandwiches. We pulled the night shades up and it gets very dark and perfect for taking a nap, but you can't see out. While I was sleeping I thought I heard something. Sara said someone pulled right up next to us when we first climbed into the camper. She said they were admiring it. Well, after my nap we stepped out to find  one of the straps off and on the ground and the other one was loosened and it appeared someone had attempted to take it, but I suspect they heard us inside which probably surprised them. We were fortunate. I almost lost a thousand dollars! It stays heavily locked on the platform now! Lesson learned. 
  • Options
    BaileyBailey Member Posts: 37
    What great advice, and funny! We are pop-up campers with loads of stories, getting ready to purchase a 2021 320 Boondock trailer now. Can you comment on how you bargained for your price of the 320, how many added features you ordered, costs. Thanks- Bailey
    2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Bailey said:
    What great advice, and funny! We are pop-up campers with loads of stories, getting ready to purchase a 2021 320 Boondock trailer now. Can you comment on how you bargained for your price of the 320, how many added features you ordered, costs. Thanks- Bailey
    We went from a PUP (our old Coleman was a 8 x 8 body) to a 320 last fall.  You will be surprised how much more storage a PUP has over a 320.  So be prepared to start paring down your "essentials".
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @JPRoland   first timers too with same rig as yours. Drove from Ohio to Galveston to meet son’s family (incl our 3 grandchildren) at the beach. Stayed one night each way at a campground in Hazen Arkansas. Remembered to leave the step up, but briefly lost our 7pin connector. Torrential rains in Houston forced us to detour off of our planned route. Detour took us to a highway on-ramp which looked a “little flooded” . Big truck ahead made it through so I gunned the 4Runner to get through the 20 foot long water ditch. Felt like our T@b hydroplaned for a very long two seconds and we made it onto the highway with severely backed up traffic. Felt uneasy about what I did, so pulled off to inspect. 7pin connector was out, no other visible damage. Got to Galveston and no water inside the T@b either. Whewww what a relief.  Wouldn’t recommend this camper as a flotation device, but somehow we dodged this bullet. Will lock down everything going forward to avoid these parking lot bandits. Assume they are everywhere. Enjoy all your future adventures. I am hoping our new adventures will be on hiking trails, beaches and music-fests, not at on-ramps !
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @JPRoland - so glad you got to see your kids and grandkids!  Sometimes in the bigger scheme of things, money is not top priority.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    That's how we feel, Sharon. In the past, we always drive down and spend the night in Shreveport so I can play Blackjack. When we get to Houston we spend three nights at a Residence Inn. Plus, we eat lunch and dinner out and breakfast is free. We also stay in a hotel on a return trip, too. With tax and tips we normally spend a little over a thousand dollars for lodging and meals alone. This trip, we spent two nights in campgrounds and made our own food and we camped in our trailer with the grandkids in the back yard for free. For food and lodging plus tax and zero tips we paid about $125.00 total! So, let me just say, "It's the perfect time to buy a T@B!" The money we will save over the next few years will make this little RV a bargain!
  • Options
    Saw a FB repost about an RV dealership.  The dealership posted that they had no RVs for sale, anything on the lot and coming in thru the end of the year were already spoken for.

They said they could take deposits for campers being delivered spring of 2021.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    I don't doubt that Tampakayaker. By the way, are you a Florida native? It's such a rare thing that I have to ask. I come from an old Florida family that lived in south Florida since the 1930's. Florida was still very jungle-like in those days. My brother's and sister and I are all natives from Miami and three of my children are natives born in West Palm. We have lived in Little Rock since 1994 and there is some awesome, camping, fishing, and hunting here in Arkansas. But, if you are in Florida and you are ever in The Jupiter area, there is a great camping area that is still REAL Florida and not far from a beautiful beach: Jonathan Dickinson State Park. If you read about the Dickinson shipwreck and how the Indians saved the Dickinson family, it makes it even more fun to stay there. It's still very pristine.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2020
    @JPRoland, what is this additional brake assist/light kit you keep referring to?  A trailer brake controller for the tow vehicle or ?
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Hi, Denny. Since I am not a mechanic, I am probably not even calling it the right thing, but here is my best   layman's answer: The way I understand it, the 2021 T@B Boondock I purchased comes with "electric brakes." I'm not sure all T@B's come with them, but this Boondock is pretty loaded up. The electric brakes assist your vehicle's ability to stop better while pulling 2500-3000 extra pounds. I have a 2018 Toyota Highlander Limited which I have used to pull my little 4x6 cargo trailer for the past ten years and that little trailer does not have electric brakes. They are unnecessary because it is very light and I hardly notice it's back there even when braking. Consequently, my Highlander was fitted at U-Haul with that typical four-pin flat connector, like you would use for pulling a small boat trailer. While searching for a T@B, each dealer I spoke with mentioned that my car would have to be fitted with a larger, cylinder-shaped connector that would accommodate the lights and electric brakes. Part of this light/brake assist kit includes a small black box with an LED readout that is mounted below and to the right of my steering wheel. I have no idea what that read-out means. I just notice that when I brake the numbers go up rapidly. To me, it means it is functioning. A dealer in Mississippi said it would cost an extra $500.00 to install it and the dealer in Arkansas quoted $750.00. I purchase my T@B from the Arkansas dealer who ended up throwing it in with the deal. (He probably felt bad because it is such a "seller's market" and he knows we are all paying full retail right now.) He threw in the little anti-sway bar, too, which I highly recommend to prevent "fish-tailing" or sway. I can tell you that the electric brakes make a big difference. I have already had to slam on my brakes once and they worked perfectly. Normal braking with them is effortless. However, last week when I didn't allow enough slack in the electrical cord from the trailer to the car and it became disconnected during my brilliant U-turn, I noticed a palpable difference in the thirty minutes I drove before I discovered it. Well, Denny. There you have it. A non-mechanical man's explanation of the "light/brake assist kit." I hope that helps. 

• Options
    @JPRoland - that is your 7 pin and brake controller that you are referring to and it should come with a charge wire to charge your battery while driving.  What brand did they install?
  • Options
    I am not sure of the brand, Sharon. I realized later on after the purchase that I have no manual for it and know very little about it, just that it works. Once the mechanics at the dealership realized my level of mechanical expertise, they probably figured the less I know the better. I will get in there and check on the brand once the sun comes up. 
  • Options
    JPRoland said:
    I don't doubt that Tampakayaker. By the way, are you a Florida native? It's such a rare thing that I have to ask. I come from an old Florida family that lived in south Florida since the 1930's. Florida was still very jungle-like in those days. My brother's and sister and I are all natives from Miami and three of my children are natives born in West Palm. We have lived in Little Rock since 1994 and there is some awesome, camping, fishing, and hunting here in Arkansas. But, if you are in Florida and you are ever in The Jupiter area, there is a great camping area that is still REAL Florida and not far from a beautiful beach: Jonathan Dickinson State Park. If you read about the Dickinson shipwreck and how the Indians saved the Dickinson family, it makes it even more fun to stay there. It's still very pristine.
    My wife and I are probably more "native" than most of the transplants.  We moved to Tampa in 1978 from NY (60 miles up the Hudson from NYC).

All 4 of my kids were born in Tampa, so I guess they are 1st generation natives.

Thanks for the info on the park.  Between Covid, the rain and the oppressive heat we only camped once this year so far, back in February.

A friend had recommended Oleta River State Park, but that is even closer to the Miami hot spots.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    That's awesome. Yep, I'd say if you have been there since '78, you are truly a Floridian. My grandparent's from Georgia moved to West Palm Beach in 1930 during the depression. My grandfather moved down there to sell used cars to the only people that were buying used cars during the great depression-rich Palm Beach folks. We always loved Homosassa Springs just north of you because the kids loved the clear water and the manatees, but I don't remember if you can actually camp there. Have fun! 
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2020
    Just to make sure you know -- the round 7-pin connector has a lip on it. When inserted far enough into the plug on your vehicle the spring loaded cap on the plug will snap down and lock onto the connector. This doesn't prevent it from being jerked out if there isn't proper slack in the cable between trailer and TV, but it does prevent it from vibrating loose while towing.
    Your brake controller LED also tells you when the connection is working or not.
    There is a manual lever you can use to test/adjust the trailer brakes. Try it sometime in an empty parking lot. :)
    Let us know the brand/model controller and we can locate instructions for it.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yes JP, a brake controller and new vehicle tow wiring harness would add up to $400-800.  As long as the dealer adjusted the brake controller, you should be fine.  When you apply the vehicle brakes, the controller activates the trailer’s brakes.  All the TaB models now come with electric brakes, and have done so since nüCamp has been building them.

If your trailer ever starts swaying (very unlikely) then you can use the lever of button on the brake controller to activate the trailer brakes (without engaging the vehicle brakes) for a few seconds to help get the trailer back under control and towing straight. Not all controllers may have this feature.  Refer to the instructions that came with your controller.
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Here is the brake assist controller they installed at the dealer.
  • Options
    Perhaps, this is a better size photo:
  • Options
    I notice the electric brakes working very well. I have done an "A/B" comparison and it is a big difference. I don't see a button that is readily available to push if experiencing sway, but it may be on the other side. I have an anti-sway bar and my max speed is 64, so I have not had any sway or towing problems with the T@B.
  • Options
    I am up early this morning making sure the heater works as it has begun to turn cooler in Arkansas. It works! Tonight we head to a local park, Maumelle Park, which is an absolutely wonderful campgrounds situated along the Arkansas River in Little Rock, Arkansas. It is just a practice run for one night as we attempt to get better at setting up and taking down our campsite. It is only five minutes from our house in the woods so if we forgot anything we can make a quick run. This practice night is in preparation to see our grandson in Nashville next weekend. He can't wait to camp out in his big back yard in Belle Meade. If you know of a good campground between Little Rock and Nashville, please let us know. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @JPRoland - does the brake controller unclip from the mount?  Is there something on the back?  Anyone ever seen one of these?  Show us a picture of the front with the lights.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    The button is on the top right in your photo. Push torward the the left. The further left you push the more braking is applied. 
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Yes, the easy way would be to use yiur thumb, while holding yiur first finger on the left side, then squeeze, pinching the button to the left to engage the brakes.
    When backing up, that requires a turning maneuver, remember to disconnect the sway bar first.  Backing up straight is not an issue with the sway bar.  Have a grand trip, and be safe JP.
    cheers