Options

Air compressor for winterizing

SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
In a pinch, with a flat tire in the boonies, I had to purchase this tire inflator (only one available in a tiny town)... Slime 40034 dual purpose inflator.  Will this work for winterizing my T@B? or will I need something more substantial?  Hardware guy said it would work, but I'm just not so sure.

I'm hoping someone will show me the ropes at next week's Fort Warden gathering ;)
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If it is the Slime model that will inflate tires to 100 lbs, yes, you can use it for the blow-out method of winterizing. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Is the line side regulated? If it's putting out greater than 50psi...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    I don't know what you mean by "line side regulated".

Can someone recommend an air compressor that won't break the bank.  Won't be using it more than once a year.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    I think someone mentioned that you can put your water regulator on at the water line to keep the pressure from blowing a pipe.  
  • Options
    Aussie said:
    I don't know what you mean by "line side regulated".

Can someone recommend an air compressor that won't break the bank.  Won't be using it more than once a year.
    Sorry, @Aussie! The line side being the air hose. Some compressors will give you pressure readings of the tank(measured in PSI) as well as "line pressure"(the hose) also measured in PSI.  Reason being is that the plumbing fixtures are rated to hold 50PSI of water pressure. You do not want to exceed this in air pressure either, or run the risk of plumbing fixture & or fitting failures.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Using this thread as a placeholder to warn about Slime reliability. I bought the high-ish volume ($60 Model 40031 1.25CFM) inflator this year, despite some warnings in Amazon reviews that they don't all last that long. Used several times for adjusting all 6 tires as I changed elevation / temperature in the mountains and for winterizing a couple times.  Still runs, but is now more like 0.00125CFM. Guess I should have sprung for the Viair.

Although maybe if I always carry two Slime or Ryobi compressors at least one will work when in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire for the same average cost per year when averaged over the lifespan of one of the pricey compressor / inflators.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2020
    If you open the taps when you connect the air compressor, you will not pressurize the water lines, just blow them out.  Open one tap, get the compressor going then go around opening and closing one tap at a time to clear out the water.  This way no real back pressure will build up with at least one tap open at a time.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Was likely my fault on the Slime?  I found a label on the bottom that said 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off duty cycle.  Inflator never even got warm, and I was using it in zero psi / just high-ish volume blowing out mode, as you suggest. But winterizing does take a little longer than ten minutes for me if I'm being thorough.  Just bought another mid-priced GSPSCN inflator that sez it has dual overheat protection or something like that.  Fingers crossed.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    For winterizing air volume is key.  The exhaust from a shop vac or a high volume air bed type inflator can be quite effective compared to the very low volume tire inflator type compressors.  You also eliminate any risk of over pressurizing the system as the pressure will only reach a coupe PSI with these air sources.  The one tap at a time method helps assure every line is cleared.  The blower hose can usually just be held over and/or sealed with a rag at any convenient tap or inlet because a small leak just doesn't matter.

• Options
    ...in theory, using your water pressure regulator could also insure that you do not over pressurize during the blowout process. Never tried it, as my pancake compressor has a line regulator (as previously mentioned). But, water & air are regulated similarly...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Denny16 said:
    If you open the taps when you connect the air compressor, you will not pressurize the water lines, just blow them out.  Open one tap, get the compressor going then go around opening and closing one tap at a time to clear out the water.  This way no real back pressure will build up with at least one tap open at a time.
    cheers
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun