Options

2021 T@B 400 Boondock Lite Rearview/Backup camera

I will be getting possession of my new 2021 T@B 400 Boondock Lite this coming Saturday and I am looking for some backup/rearview camera options. I rented a 20 feet travel trailer last weekend from Outdoorsy to get used to towing a trailer as it is my first time towing one. It was really easy to tow but I did find it a little tricky trying to back into a campsite in a state park. I practiced backing up for several hours before that in a big empty parking lot and had a good idea of how to do it. My biggest problem was not able to see where the back of the trailer was going and I had to step out a few times just to make sure it was heading in the right direction. A backup camera would have been really useful. I looked at a few older discussions here about backup cameras and I have a few questions specific to the 2021 T@B - 

1. Has anybody installed a camera on a 2021 model? Is it any different from the previous models when it comes to wiring the camera to a 12v power source?

2. Is there an easy way to get this wiring done? From the past discussions, I learnt that some have tapped into their tail light wiring to feed power to the camera. Are there any instructions or videos on how to do that? My dealer quoted a price of $600 for the camera install (including the camera) that was standard with the previous year T@B.

3. Are there any other options, like a solar or a battery-powered camera? There are a couple of solar options that I came across - 
https://www.costco.com/type-s-6.8%22-wide-screen-solar-powered-hd-wireless-backup-camera.product.100504814.html
https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Wireless-Installation-Monitor-Waterproof/dp/B08B1BFRNX/
Will these even work on the T@B? The specifications state that the range is less than 33 feet and the total length of my rig with the tow vehicle will be close to 34 feet. Also, obstructions and interference will lower the range. 

4. What is the best place to mount the camera for the best possible view? A lot of cameras are attached to the license plate. I think some T@B owners mounted it near the star gazing window as well. 

Comments

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I just bought that Costco solar backup camera for our T@B 400, for my husband's birthday. We haven't tried it yet, but I sure hope it works! I don't want to give another gift that ends up in the "pile of failed gifts" lol!  I'll be following this thread, and I'll post once we've got it going. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    Tadibrothers has a few nice looking backup cameras that would work.  They use a WiFi connection, which is more reliable than Bluetooth.
     Here is the one I am looking at for our TaB400, that includes a signal booster and HD camera:
    https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/ios-wifi-backup-camera-for-rv-truck-ipad-ipod-mini-ipod

BTW, the 2021 TaB400 is just a Boondock edition, the Boondock Lite was a 320 option, when nüCamp had two Boondock packages, and Boondock Lite was used with the TaB400 only through 2019 model year, I believe.  
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited August 2020
    Denny16 said:
    Tadibrothers has a few nice looking backup cameras that would work.  They use a WiFi connection, which is more reliable than Bluetooth.
     Here is the one I am looking at for our TaB400, that includes a signal booster and HD camera:
    https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/ios-wifi-backup-camera-for-rv-truck-ipad-ipod-mini-ipod

BTW, the 2021 TaB400 is just a Boondock edition, the Boondock Lite was a 320 option, when nüCamp had two Boondock packages.
    cheers
    Although the Boondock Lite package name was used with pre-2021 Boondock T@B 400's, and was included on the sidewall graphic.
    It's a bit confusing, marketing-wise!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Yes, the 2019 400s had a Boondock Lite and Edge version.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    At any rate, the 2021 is just a Boondock edition, with Lite and Edge being dropped with the new outside trim group being used.
    cheers
  • Options
    AFrashierAFrashier Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the TadiBrothers SKU 81900 to put on the back of my 2021 Tab S BoonDock.   Tried one of license plate frame mounts but license plate light was in the way.  Did not want anything that required cutting wires.  Should receive in a few days and will provide update.
  • Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Yes, the 2019 400s had a Boondock Lite and Edge version.  
    I didn't know the 400 ever had a Boondock Edge version?
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Sorry, a Boondock Edge was not an option for the 400, as far as I can find out.  According to nüCamp, 
    “The Boondock Lite is available for the TAB 320, the TAB 400 and the TAG and TAG XL models. The Boondock Edge is available for the TAB 320, TAG and TAG XL only.”  This came out in Sept. 11, 2018, and as far as I can find, the TaB400 Boondock, was only the Boondock Lite.  

The Edge trim on the 320 added: 
    • 52-inch Light Bar w/Two Spotlights
    • Yakima® Roof Rack (will not fit on the 400)
    • Yakima® Awning (TAG only)
    • 5-Piece Exterior Accent Kit (TAB 320 Only)
    • Custom Boondock Hoop Step (TAG Only)
    • High-Strength Marmoleum Flooring (TAB 320 Only)
    • Door Mounted Cargo Pouches“
    All Boondock trims got the 15-inch wheels and raised Pitch Axles, Aluminum front Tub, and new door handle, and until 2020, only the TAG and TaB320 got the front platform.  Also the 2019 TaB400 Boondock had different wheel flairs, which I think they should have continued to use.
    cheers
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There was never a 400 Boondock Edge. The 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite was to differentiate the 400 Boondock edition from the 320 Boondock.  The 400 Boondock Lite had the more aggressive tires, a raised axle, a special door handle, the diamond plate front tub, and the Boondock decals. 

When I ordered my 2019 400, I asked for most of what was to be in the package, not knowing nüCamp had a name for it. My Boondock Lite sure was a hit at üCamp18 because no one had seen one before.  

The 320 Boondock had both a Boondock and a Boondock Edge. The 320 Boondock Edge had more bells and whistles including bar lights on top of it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    This is from the Model Year Changes list that I created and updated a year ago.  I swear I took this off the nuCamp website,  I stand corrected and I will correct the document.  So, no one out there with a 400 with a Yakima rack and spotlights😂

2019 400 Boondock Models
    (no front aluminum platforms to reduce tongue weight)

LITE:
    15-inch matte black sport rims with off road tires, but standard spare Pitched axle
    Diamond Plated Tub
    Boondock entry handle/graphics

EDGE: (Additions to Lite package)
    Spare Tire w/matte black sport rim 52 inch light Bar w/two spotlights Yakima® roof rack
    5 Piece exterior accent kit Marmoleum flooring
    Door cargo pouches
  • Options
    No, @Sharon_is_SAM, they never produced it. I never saw this literature. Just think that the owners wouldn’t have been able to adjust the rooftop lamp kit without a step ladder!  

I was surprised nüCamp actually had a name for the options I requested - Boondock Lite!  I wanted the higher ground clearance for sure, the more aggressive tires, and the diamond plate tub. So they added the neat padded door handle, the lighted step (I still love that), the decals, and no front platform because of the already heavy tongue weight. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    They added the lighted steps with the 2019 regular or Boondock lite model?
  • Options
    Sharon, I’m not sure on that one. There were a lot of people who loved it at üCamp18.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Per the factory, the step LED light was not included with the 2018 400 model, so it started with the 2019 model.
  • Options
    ESHESH Member Posts: 27
    I see that there were comments earlier around potential models, but did anyone happen across a backup camera that will fit the license plate bracket of the 2021 T@B 400?  The light for the license plate seems to be an issue.  Prefer wireless but any guidance is appreciated!
  • Options
    Sharon is correct, our late 2018 TaB 400 does not have the step LED light, kind of wish it did.
    cheers
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    It is a nice addition, and pretty well executed - particularly compared to a lot of new campers I've seen with very bright exterior lighting. Fits nuCamp's design ethos pretty well!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @ESH I installed the Costco solar license plate backup camera on our 2018 T@B 400. If you use the brackets that they enclose for cars with lift gate latches, it works fine to lower the plate and camera beneath the plate light. So far, it seems to work as advertised, but my husband (the driver of this rig) hasn't quite yet gotten the feel for it. Practice!