Options

What's a realistic travel speed while pulling a T@b?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
I pick up my new T@b on Wednesday, and on Saturday morning I'll be heading down with it to Lake of the Ozarks, about 450 miles. What's a realistic average speed while towing a T@b? With just my car I could make this trip in about 7 hours, and need to estimate what I should expect to make this in one day. Thanks for any help on this. 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Well, I hold it at 60/62 even though I've done faster when pushed. I get better gas mileage also.
    Where freeway speeds are now 80, I keep up with the semis so I don't get run down but they're usually in the 60mph range. One thing I like about CA freeways is all trucks, RVs and anything pulling a trailer are limited to 55.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I usually hold to about 60, though I have had her up to 70-75 with ease.  60 is about the sweet spot for speed and fuel consumption.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I do around 60-65 too, but when I'm patient enough (and when other people on the road are patient enough), I get much better gas mileage at 55.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It varies greatly by the road, your comfort level, your TV, and how important gas mileage. Driving form PA to CO, I am generally in the middle of the pack. If it is a shorter trip, I slow it way down to around 55-60.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I have to really pay attention with my f150 when pulling the T@B, I have a couple times found myself in the 75-80mph. That is not where I want to be but the rig is so smooth the speed can just creep up on me.  I usually try to stay around 60-65mph. 
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Keep in mind, trailer tires with ST prefix are generally rated for max speed of 65 mph, usually inflated to pressure rating on the tire.
  • Options
    Rad - Two words - Cruz Control
  • Options
    Sandra - Ahhh. I think I followed you and Rad...fast, slow, faster, slow, fast, slower, fast :-)
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    I'm with you PX. If the terrain is flat, cruz control all the way.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    60 mph for me on the freeway just to keep from getting run over... Highways...55 is perfect for me... I'm towing with a 4 cylinder. I use cruise and drive in D3. Average 14.5 mpg...AC blasting...
  • Options
    AnneLarkAnneLark Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2017
    And then there is the Natchez Trace, maybe the longest National Park at about 444 miles long, from Natchez MS through a corner of Alabama to Nashville TN area, top speed supposed to be 50mph. Few risk the federal fine and go over 54.
    Traveling with The Tiny T@B@rn@cle
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Yep, I would respect tire speed limit.   Rated speed limit on a tire is based on heat that the coumpound can absorb generated from load and speed.

so be safe and slow down, if not for you. Do it for others, or switch for truck tires that can take the load and the speed.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I usually travel between 62 and 68 mph when towing. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Agree 55-60. Slower on big hills/mountains. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    edited May 2018
    I guess I’m in the minority here. Speed limit here in AZ is 65 or 75 and I usually keep it at that. I keep a close eye on my tires. I have a TPMS that monitors temps and pressures. It warns me if anything is out of spec or going out of spec more rapidly than it should be. Most blowouts are because of an unrecognized tire condition. This helps watch for that.
    oh, and I run radial trailer tires. They were recommended to me by my local tire shop and one of the reasons was higher speed.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    65 seems good and I'll sometimes cruise at 70mph if I'm sure the wind is calm and there is not any traffic on a good highway. I love it when the speed limit is 65 on the highway. I never tailgate keeping several seconds between me and the vehicle in front of me. That has saved my bacon a couple of times. Once just recently when the dump truck in front of me slammed on it's brakes because the semi in front of it decided to stop just before the on-ramp. I was able to scoot around both of them because I wasn't too close and the trailer brakes worked beautifully. There is always some risk though, which I accept or I would stay home.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There is an app you can by from the folks at the Technomadia site called, "State Lines" that covers among other state differences, the legal speed limit for towing in each state. 

I wish I did not know that there are different speed limits for different states, but now that I do, I can't unknow it and it might take me longer to get from point A to point B.  :anguished:

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    62mph is my sweet spot for mpg and transmission temps.  I have a Scan Gauge to monitor my temps and mileage.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I tend to drive on the slower side towing or solo with my pickup, sweet spot is 58-62 for mileage. For the most part towing with ST tires on the trailer you probably don't want sustained speeds over 65 anyway.

If you think you will never get anywhere doing that, I can assure you will if you keep the door shut. I can't tell you how many times I have been passed on a long trip by someone going like crazy, and then again and again in the same day, sometimes 2-3 days in a row. In 2008 I left upstate New York and drove those speeds for four days to get back to Oregon, around 21 MPG out of a full size Dodge diesel weighing over 8000 pounds. The slow lane works just fine!

I observed the same thing for three years driving a big truck all over North America, I trip plan for about 50 MPH, in 10 hours if you drive around 60 with a few stops you are 500 miles down the road. Slow down and enjoy the journey, it shouldn't be only about the destination!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ditto to slower. 

I found that cruising at the slower 55-65 actually is less stressful, so I'm able to drive longer, and feel better at the end of the day!
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I tend to drive on the slower side towing or solo with my pickup, sweet spot is 58-62 for mileage. For the most part towing with ST tires on the trailer you probably don't want sustained speeds over 65 anyway.

If you think you will never get anywhere doing that, I can assure you will if you keep the door shut. I can't tell you how many times I have been passed on a long trip by someone going like crazy, and then again and again in the same day, sometimes 2-3 days in a row. In 2008 I left upstate New York and drove those speeds for four days to get back to Oregon, around 21 MPG out of a full size Dodge diesel weighing over 8000 pounds. The slow lane works just fine!

I observed the same thing for three years driving a big truck all over North America, I trip plan for about 50 MPH, in 10 hours if you drive around 60 with a few stops you are 500 miles down the road. Slow down and enjoy the journey, it shouldn't be only about the destination!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    IMO  With a competent TV you should be able to drive your normal, comfortable pace.  I don't experience any difference in travel times with or without our T@B.

• Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    under 65 mph.  other countries where towing has a lot more research and regulation with safety in mind has place limits to 65,  there must be a reason for that.    

your gas mileage will be way better, vehicle will be less stress and you will be safer.    depending on the distance that you have to travel  the time difference would be much.   

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    edited November 2018
    I agree with the 60-65 towing a trailer.  You need to be able to slow down in an instant and keep that trailer behind you with  rubber side down when needed!  If you are in Colorado, speed limit is 75, and of course many yahoos feel like if it's posted 75 they can go 85 :o! so I try to do the slow lane unless someone in front of me is going any slower.  I think it's actually dangerous to go slower than 60 in Colorado on the interstate, unless of course there is bad weather.
    Many times I see these beautiful rigs with big trucks  & a huge toy hauler going 75+ & I think to myself--it's going to take them as long to slow down as a semi at that speed and just shake my head.
    Just because you "can" doesn't mean you should.
    You will also have much more control in higher winds doing slower speeds.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    well said @Ikc001     

many state still allows you to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.     just because the law allows it..    

do what makes sense in term of safety.   research a bit about trailer safety,   many data studies are conducted in other countries.   read some of those and apply some of the common sense to it and see what also can be fitted.   unfortunately the USA does not conduct many studies about towing.. 

It might be the reason why almost every vehicle small or big come with a tow rating in other countries.   a win for consumer as they have more cars to choose

• Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    65 mph is the best limit IMO. I confess that on smooth roads, very little traffic, and no wind I have done 70, but my gas milage went way down, from 18 mpg to 14 mpg. I tow my Outback with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Without towing anything I average 26 mpg. Wind and terrain make a big difference, especially with Hybrids.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road