Options

Simple Suitcase Solar Addition

I have a new 2021 T@B 320S with factory solar, but would like the flexibility of a suitcase solar panel for camping in shady areas, rainy days, etc.  Can I simply purchase a suitcase model with its own controller and connect it to my battery posts?  Are there any risks with this approach?  I'll admit, I have a strong mechanical background....but electrically challenged and haven't really found a post to address this question.  

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    Many Tabbers use a similar setup. I use a Renogy 100w suitcase for that purpose and when not camping have used it to top off the the batteries in my boat and my stored Vintage VW. 
    I have factory solar on my 400 and the suitcase with controller is connected to my batteries when needed and works well. I have also used the portable panel to top off the batteries while the Tab is covered in storage. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    Thanks!  That's what I thought...but there are so many discussions out there that my head was spinning!
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    @DenisP, do you find that a 100w is adequate enough to keep batteries charged when your 400 is in shade? I've been debating on 100w vs 200w. 

20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    @jrhamel Good question like everything else it is a trade off. Weight vs capacity vs cost. I have been satisfied with the 100w for most conditions but recently had a combination of late season sun in a shady site and a day+ of rain which I could have used more capacity. After last trip I installed a Victron DC-DC battery charger which will add more capacity on those dreary days and will fully charge during overcast travel days. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited October 2020
    Don't want to hijack this thread but wonder what's involved in adding a portable panel to the stock Boondock electrical system rather than a using a stand-alone suitcase system with its own controller.
    I believe that the 320 Boondock comes standard with a 10 amp controller, the Victron 75/10, which from what I've read about energy management, may not be adequate if you add additional solar panels.
    My Boondock won't be delivered for few more months, so if I need to upgrade to the 75/15 unit, I have time to do so.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    GbertrandGbertrand Member Posts: 39
    We purchased this http://www.wegosolar.com/products.php?product=180W-Folding-Solar-Panel-Kit- late this summer, only used it twice so far but sure looks to work well. I love the 7 pin plug-in, it works amazing simple.....plug and go
     2021 T@B 400 BD, 2019 F-150, or 2011 F-150 (depending on conditions)

Definition of Success….”moving from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm” (Winston Churchill)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

@CharlieRN, here are some notes I wrote down in preparation for ordering my new 2021 T@B 320S Boondock:

“Victron solar controller 75/15 for solar panels 220 watts or less

-OR--Victron Smartsolar MPPT Charge Controller 100/20 if the total of the solar watts is greater than 220 watts”

But, I do not know which one nüCamp is including with the single 105 watt solar panel. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    @Basil48192 Thanks for asking this question.  Your timing is perfect.  I have a 320S with factory solar, but after a summer of boondocking use in Northern AZ, I have learned that if I keep the T@B in the shade (because in the summer direct sun in Northern AZ is still very warm), the dealer-supplied stock battery does not fully charge up (this is even with using a Victron MPPT 75/15 solar controller that I swapped for the NuCamp-supplied unit).  So, next summer I plan to supplement the roof panel charging with something I can move around in the sun while keeping the T@B shaded.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The easiest way to add portable solar panels, is to use a setup that comes with its own controller, per the examples shown above.  Another option is using portable panels that do not have a controller, and adding a second controller (if the one you have is not large enough).  

This is what we are doing, we have two 100 watt portable panels, and plan to get another Victron 75/15 controller, rather than buying the larger 100/20 controller, which is more expensive.  I already have a 75/15 for the factory 193-watt Solar setup, so adding a second 75/15 is the best option, and the two controllers will communicate to optimize the charging.  We have a Zamp plug, so just going to add the controller between the battery and Zamp connector.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    yup, it works well. I have 160 watt zamp
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Gbertrand said:
    We purchased this http://www.wegosolar.com/products.php?product=180W-Folding-Solar-Panel-Kit- late this summer, only used it twice so far but sure looks to work well. I love the 7 pin plug-in, it works amazing simple.....plug and go
    That is impressive.
    Simply plug right into seven-way and that's it?
    Is wattage produced constrained by gauge of hot wire in seven-way harness going to batteries?
    If trailer is in shade, how many feet of cable do you have to get panel into sun and situated?
    Thanks!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    DenisP said:
    @jrhamel Good question like everything else it is a trade off. Weight vs capacity vs cost. I have been satisfied with the 100w for most conditions but recently had a combination of late season sun in a shady site and a day+ of rain which I could have used more capacity. After last trip I installed a Victron DC-DC battery charger which will add more capacity on those dreary days and will fully charge during overcast travel days. 
    Starting from batteries under bed, where do cables come to trailer surface?
    A plug-in installed at trailer surface?
    How many feet of cable (Renogy suggests 10') from trailer to panel?
    In your experience, is it easy or tough to find site where trailer is in shade and panel can be gotten into sun and arranged?
    Recent posts by those using generators are kind of disappointing. I wonder if you shut everything down, fire up generator and go for a hike -- you might get a decent charge? (Assuming no one steals the generator while you're gone  :))

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @johnfconway - we use 30 feet of marine cable for our portable solar.  Limited voltage loss and gives you more options for catching the sun.  Get flexible cable.  We started with Renogy 10 gauge and found it to be so stiff that it was hard to manage.  Replaced with marine cable.  Also we use black cable loom.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GbertrandGbertrand Member Posts: 39
    @johnfconway....yuppers it really is that simple, just plug and it works, of course the factory installed Victron does not read the additional  solar input but it does read/show the additional charge going to the batteries 

First time plugged in you select your battery on the controller, and that is it.......as for wire gauge constraint, I am unsure but would think it would limit it some what. It also has a zamp plug so if you have a plug installed from factory (ours does) you can plug right in there as well

Off the top of my head, there is 30feet of cable

Have a great day
     2021 T@B 400 BD, 2019 F-150, or 2011 F-150 (depending on conditions)

Definition of Success….”moving from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm” (Winston Churchill)
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2020
    You can get ready made solar panel cables with Anderson connectors, that take a Zamp adapter and plug right in he TaB, if you have the Zamp connector installed.  If not, easy to add one, and available on line to purchase.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.