Options

Avia Fan Next to Converter Is for Air Circulation - Resolved

JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
This is concerning our new Avia, but our 400 never did this.  The Wfco panels are the same.  The converter fan runs all the time, even when on battery alone.  The battery is also fully charged.  Is there a way to reset the inverter or is this a warranty issue?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    How many DC circuits do you have going?  Lights, fridge, etc.  Try turning everything off, and see if the fan still runs?
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The fan will run under heavy load, most commonly when charging the battery...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    The battery is at full charge and there is nothing pulling power.  No refrigerator, no a/c, no lights. The funny thing is that the fan runs on both 12V and shore power with no load running.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited November 2020
    It only runs under a load(not temperature); something is drawing, or its possibly defective... I realize you are under warranty, but reach out to WFCO; they have a very good customer care department. They can help you troubleshoot to determine if there is anything amiss. They will want you to meter the unit and provide results...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    I suspect it is defective since I have checked all load drawing elements and they are definitely off.  By the way it is 50 out this morning and and after I plugged shore power in the converter fan is not running.  I left it disconnected overnight.
  • Options
    Interesting that now the fan is running and the camper is 74 degrees with no power draw.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,510
    @JCALD - what battery monitor do you have?  What is the current draw on the display?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    The fan is there to cool the converter when it is powering peripherals or charging the battery.  The fan should never, ever run if you are not connected to shore power.  You have a defective converter and need to get it replaced while still under warranty.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    OK, I found the issue.  There was a fan running which is located next to the Wfco panel.  I removed the Wfco panel cover and noted that the cooling fan was not running.  I then remembered that the Avia has a fan that transfers cool and warm air from the front part of the trailer to the bedroom and it is thermostatically controlled.  Turns out it was not a Wfco problem at all, just a new RV to learn about.  Thanks for all input.
  • Options
    @JCALD - what battery monitor do you have?  What is the current draw on the display?
    At the moment I just have the Victron Smart Solar controller to verify voltage and other solar related data.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You should install the Victron batter monitor unit as well.  They work together to maximize battery charging, and will alert you to excessive battery drain issues.

Glad you sorted the fan noise issue, good to have an air circulation system installed.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.