Options

HOW I SAVED MY MARRIAGE! Lessons learned, mods made during our maiden season.

andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
edited November 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Our first trip out in our 2021 320S Boondock, that was posted here, was quite a learning experience. The highlights, actually the lowlights, involved the toilet seat deciding to fall down, described well-manneredly then as "midstream" in the middle of the night, much to the dismay of my wife; continually hitting my head on things, not good for a bald(ing) guy; too much stuff and nowhere to put it; the dang bathroom door wouldn't stay open when we wanted it to; and the boy is that light in the bathroom bright in the middle of the night.

After sounding the alarm, I got lots of good suggestions from forum members. Then I trial and errored my way through my own ideas. Some worked, some never should have been thought of.

Most of the solutions were purchased through Amazon. Sharon_is_SAM advised very early on that perhaps the most important thing to get for my t@b was Amazon Prime. Boy is she smart! Invaluable advice.

We use an RV door baggage door catch to keep the toilet seat up. We opted for the black version--easier to see it at night against the white of the bathroom. It was like $10, a lot cheaper than alimony. Used a heavy duty, waterproof Command strip to attach it.

I was continually hitting my head on the top of the door frame followed a barrage of colorful language. In a bout of insomnia, I figured a strip of foam weatherstripping would be worth a try. It worked! I opted for the 1-1/4 thick piece and installed it with some of those magical Command strips, more than necessary of course because that's what I do. It's not much to look at, but looks aren't everything. I still bonk my noggin a lot but it doesn't hurt nearly as bad. I still let loose the colorful language every time because, well, that's what a I do.

Storage! Ha! You mean lack thereof. The storage tub on the deck is fine, but it's just a start. With the propane tank and battery in there, it doesn't leave a lot of room for much else. Those awesome aluminum boxes from Tennessee may be in my future, I'm using four Cub Pack storage boxes by Front Runner Outfitters. They stack like champs, have latching lids and hold a reasonable amount on stuff so they don't get too heavy and are well-made and quite heavy duty. I like the size and portability. I have them organized by category. I have all the potable water stuff in one: hoses (two sizes), I have a 6-foot hose, pressure regulator and water filter in separate bag that I keep in the tub for easy access when we get to a campground to fill the water tank but when we travel home it goes in the box; electrical stuff in another: the big RV power cord, surge protector, an adapter or two and a 25-foot drop cord; collapsible water jugs and a siphon hose in another; and the last one has another drop cord, a container of Happy Camper, a funnel and a half gallon milk jug for mixing the Happy Camper to pour into the toilet cassette. Upon arrival, they're removed and are put under the trailer near where they'll be used. We lash them on to the deck with rachet straps; three on each stack, using the holes in the deck for bottom anchors. Perhaps overkill, but we've been many miles without any mishaps. They seem to be weatherproof. The Front Runner folks are great to deal with, every bit as great as their products. (https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us). I got mine through Amazon because the pandemic was just getting into full swing and deliver schedules were running behind and we had a trip coming up. Their pricier than a lot of the storage solutions out there but you certainly get what you pay for. They work great and are the perfect size for our Boondock.

That dang bathroom door just wouldn't stay open when we wanted it too, primarily in the summer months when it would turn into an oven. In another bout of insomnia brilliance, I figured maybe a strip of an unused woven web strap with a loop and a couple of pieces of Velcro----one on the end of the strap, one under the front lip of the sink---would work. It did! It's not pretty but sure is functional.

And speaking of the bathroom while we appreciate that nüCamp provided a toilet paper holder thing, we found it simply wasn't big enough to hold today's RV-able TP. We found another waterproof dispenser. I was going to do the old switcheroo and mount the new one where the old one was but chickened out when the original was attached with screws and the holes wouldn't line up and I just didn't want to start plugging the holes in the wall. So I left the old one and put the new one above it. I used a handful of waterproof Command strips. They didn't work. Such a rude awakening in the middle of night when they let go and holder crashed to floor.
So I switched to one of 3M's Velcro-like squares and it has been in place every since. And the original holder is now little storage bin for little bathroom odds and ends. Do we really need it? No. Will I remove it? No. It's fine right right where it is.

Oh, talk about a rude awakening in the middle of night. The light in the bathroom in the middle of the night? Hello sun!!  Sometimes we found some light would be helpful. Nothing too bright. Just a bit. I settled on a little motion-activated, battery-operated light that finally found a home at the base of the toilet deck tucked behind the molding a couple of inches above floor level. It still is a bit too bright but I'll tone it down with something. Plus it's foot level rather than eye level. For now, it's okay. It's from Amazon, of course. Comes as two-pack. We had the other under refrigerator. Too bright. Not needed. Sorry, I have a photo of the light in place. Somewhere. But this is what looks like by itself and its link.

We've done a few other little modifications. These are the big ones. For this season at least. Besides, I've droned too long.
Thanks to all who made suggestions earlier. Love this forum.

2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments