Options

Opinions on enamel - enamelware dishes?

Time to ditch my old plastic camping dishes.  I am leaning toward enamelware, but have never actually used any.  I am interested in opinions on it from those who have used it (or do use it).  I'm particularly wondering about heat transfer.  Do you need to be careful if you have hot food on it and does the food cool too quickly?  Any other issues with it I should consider?   Thanks, all.
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my enamelware. Yes, the plate, bowl or cup will be warm/hot. I just use a silicone pot holder under the bowl of plate if I’m holding them.  No, they do not cool down quickly. 

They are sturdy, won’t break, and they should last decades. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    We use enamelware  coffee cups, plates and bowls in our T@B. The only problem we've ever had was a piece of scrub pad that got stuck on the rolled edge of a cup.
    The enamelware water bath canning pot and crab steaming pot we use at home are both over 30 years old. They'll last a lifetime so pick a color or pattern you like.😊

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @falcon1970 - have you had enamelware that chipped?  Is it vulnerable to rusting if it chips?  I'm wondering if something could be used to coat the chipped area to protect it.

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    There are some beautiful, high end melamine dish sets that are much nicer than plastic. For mugs, I love a hot coffee in a stoneware mug, but they do require more TLC.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    @Mellow_Yellow -- I've been reading mixed opinions on the safety of melamine.  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    PNWtabber said:
    @falcon1970 - have you had enamelware that chipped?  Is it vulnerable to rusting if it chips?  I'm wondering if something could be used to coat the chipped area to protect it.
    Yes and yes. Anyone who’s ever been antiquing can attest to the fact that enamelware can chip and it can rust if that happens—loads of battered pieces can be found in any antique store or flea market. Anything you tried to coat it with would have to be food safe. Enamelware that is currently made is often less durable/lower quality than the vintage stuff, so if buying new, be sure to read the reviews thoroughly.

I love the vintage look of the stuff, and quality enamelware is fairly durable, but I went with melamine for my trailer dinnerware.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I’m going on 4 years and we’ll over 30,000 miles and I can attest to no chips. If it chips, I’ll research it and fix it. I love to do mods😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited November 2020
    PNWtabber said:
    Which is correct...but then I’d ask how often you think you’ll be eating off of it? If you were full time and using it 3 meals a day 365 days a year? Probably not the best choice. At which point, I’d personally look at Corelle, but that’s me. For the relatively infrequent use in my trailer, melamine doesn’t really worry me.

@verna, please tell me you found RED enamelware to match the rest of your trailer? 😁 It looks like Coleman makes a red set.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @VictoriaP, I didn’t like the “normal” price I kept finding even on EBay, but I found an open box on Amazon that was a set for 4, all pieces included, for a low price. 4 plates, 4 bowls, 4 cups.   I know where there is an assortment of different patterns and colors, at Lehman’s Hardware in Ohio (I love that store). Check it out on-line. And I didn’t say they had good low prices....just good assortment! 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @PNWtabber
    Yes I have a chipped enamelware bowl.  However, with normal use it probably won't chip.  My set is probably 30 years old so I don;'t know how fragile newer stuff is but my Bowl jumped out of the overhead at me one day and chipped a bit when it hit.  It also bent slightly.  However that was a pretty hard hit.  I think you will OK as long as you don't sling it around any more than you would with any other plate or bowl.
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Another source for good quality enamelware  (albiet expensive) is Golden Rabbit. They have many patterns. You can find them on their website or Amazon.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Not enamelware, but just to list one other alternative, that has worked extremely well for us, is Corning Corelle. It is made in a wide variety of patterns...and is extremely durable, food safe, and pack very compactly.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RCD1NK9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    Maybe not what you're looking for, but I bought a set of these last year and I'm really digging them. Inexpensive and indestructible. And the little "handle" on the plate is useful when you're sitting around the campfire eating. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline -- I had not heard of Preserve dishware before, I like that they are made of recycled material and they say they are BPA-free.  I'll look into it further.  Thanks.

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    ChrisFix said:
    Not enamelware, but just to list one other alternative, that has worked extremely well for us, is Corning Corelle. It is made in a wide variety of patterns...and is extremely durable, food safe, and pack very compactly.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RCD1NK9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    We had Corelle for years, got it as a wedding present.

Only drawback on it, is if you break one it explodes like a hand grenade with pieces all over the place.

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    @ChrisFix and @Tampakayaker -- when my kids were little, I picked up some plain Corelle seconds at a Corningware outlet store.  They lasted a long time, definitely another possibility for me to consider.  I am intrigued by the enamelware for camping, though.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We use paper plates with a melamine plate underneath to add strength.  Really simplifies cleanup, helps keep the gray tank clean and reduces water use.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    PNWtabber said:
    Can you say more? We were looking at melamine plates recently. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    @xdr -- you can google "melamine safety".  There is a variety of information out there.  Who knows what the most accurate is?

• Options
    @VictoriaP, there is a set of red Coleman enamelware with silverware on Amazon, by the way....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We have melamine plates and they are very sturdy but we were not aware you cannot use them in the microwave. Other than that we know of no safety issues

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Plus 1 on the exploding Corelle. Always open the overhead cabinet slowly. As a funny flight attendant (remember those days?) once said: "As we all know, shift happens." :-)
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI