2021 T@B 320S BD -c Dual Lithium Batteries installation

Hi..., We are scheduled to pick up our new 2021 T@B 320S BD next week and were already wondering about the installation of a dual battery system with the existing solar package that comes with it. A few questions we have associated with that:
- With a dual 12V lithium battery sytem in parallel, do we need to change the Victron controller that comes with it in order to allow an efficient charging of the two bateries?
- If so, any recommendations on which controller?
- Are battery boxes needed/recommended inside the tongue box?

Thanks in advance for your and comments and help.

Comments

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The controller, if I am not mistaken, is sized to the panel array. In respect to the battery boxes...YES! ..or some other means of securing them inside the tub. Some sort of hold down. 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • LGG20LGG20 Member Posts: 2
    4ncar said:
    The controller, if I am not mistaken, is sized to the panel array. In respect to the battery boxes...YES! ..or some other means of securing them inside the tub. Some sort of hold down. 
    Thank you for your help. We plan to buy the boxes. 
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @LGG20: you are lucky to have the new bigger front tub. Just be sure to check the size of the box specific to the batteries you intend to buy, to insure they fit well. Once in hand bolt them down to the bottom of the tub. Good luck!🍀 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited November 2020
    That seems like an awful lot of power storage capacity for a T@B320. Are you sure that you need 2 lithiums (200ah?)? Do you do a lot of winter camping or other camping where you don't expect to get much from the  solar panels? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • TheTabsterTheTabster Member Posts: 9
    I'm interested in a similar setup for my new 2021 TAB 320 S BD. Have you considered the Renogy 12V 170 Ah Lithium battery? It would seem it comes close to the same power and capacity as (2) x 100 Ah batteries, but smaller overall footprint, less expensive and easier to integrate in to the system?  I've seen many references to the Battle Born 12V 100 Ah Lithium as the go-to choice for Lithium options - wondering if anyone has an opinion about this Renogy 170 - and what is involved to integrate it to the existing system?
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    @Marceline it's a lot but my experience in the shady PNW is you can't count on a good sunny spot and with the compressor refrigerator, my average energy drain (40AH/day is much more than the propane refrigerator models. So if dry camping for a week is planned - yep good idea. That said I keep charged with planning except in the winter with two 6V flooded batteries and a remote option on the solar. In most cases for a 3 day outing a 100AH Lithium would be fine. If you count on or live in a sunny climate then I agree it's more than needed. I like the idea of the person recommending the 170AH Lithium when I need to replace mine. The self heating option for winter use will be good for me.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • TheTabsterTheTabster Member Posts: 9
    Battle Born has a new self-heating battery and kit -it is a variant on their regular 100 Ah 12 V Lithium:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product-category/heat-battery-kits/

Oddly, they don't list it on their main battery page, so it's hard to find if you aren't looking for it.
    Could this be the game changer - a viable solution to use & recharge Lithium in cold temperatures?
  • kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    @TheTabster I have the Renogy 170 and it’s been great, except you have to have a Renogy brand charger on you at all times in case it gets drained too low, otherwise you can’t charge it back up. 

@LGG20 to answer your original question, the solar controller is fine and the Li batteries are simple enough to drop in. I would strongly recommend a Victron battery monitor though to pair w the solar controller - you can search my previous posts to see how I installed in 2021 320s BD cheers
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I know the LifePo4 batteries are safer than other lithium batteries, but the prospect of putting lithium in the same storage area as the LP makes me nervous. 

Is this justified? Is there any RVIA guidance that anyone is aware of?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    jkjenn said:
    I know the LifePo4 batteries are safer than other lithium batteries, but the prospect of putting lithium in the same storage area as the LP makes me nervous. 

Is this justified? Is there any RVIA guidance that anyone is aware of?
    Nothing I’ve seen so far in research indicates there’s a greater risk than there is with lead acid. LiFePo4 batteries are much, much less prone to fire and explosion than the lithium compounds used in batteries for small electronics. 

Plenty of possible challenges to choosing lithium (cost of entry, need for upgrading or alternative charging options, workarounds for charging below 32° F.) Fire risk doesn’t appear to be a reason not to use LiFePo4, though, at least as far as I’ve been able to find.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW