Milk!

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
...and now for something completely different!

does anyone consume vast quantities of delicious whole milk, like I do? It’s a problem where I either fill my fridges(yes plural) with more milk then food, or I will exceed my gross trailer weight with unrefridgerated cartons of milk, waiting to be chilled.

Has anyone tried powdered milk? I think this could work, as long as it’s whole milk & as delicious as possible.

Any assistance in my dilemma is appreciated.
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited November 2020
    I use Peak Powdered Whole Milk in place of powdered or liquid creamer in my tea and coffee (which I drink a LOT of), and have for years. Best powdered whole milk I’ve found because it dissolves easily and thoroughly, but...even made with a whisk or blender bottle and chilled properly, it doesn’t taste as good to me as the bottled stuff for drinking straight. Powdered whole milk tastes a touch buttery, in my opinion. Way better than the powdered nonfat, though. Buy the smallest container available and try it first.

Also be aware that when grocery stores are experiencing shortages in general, everyone starts buying it up. I had to scramble to supply my tea addiction this spring. LOL

https://smile.amazon.com/Peak-Milk-Powder-400g-14-1oz/dp/B000R5OT0K/
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    My expectations are low, as I am a connoisseur of fine milk, but I suspect that I am going to have to just make do.  I will give this a try...thanks!
    2018 320S Outback
    edited November 2020
    4ncar said:
    My expectations are low, as I am a connoisseur of fine milk, but I suspect that I am going to have to just make do.  I will give this a try...thanks!
    I can relate. I switched to Fairlife milk earlier this year, both for lactose reasons and because being ultra pasteurized, it lasts longer. It SO doesn’t taste the same as the stuff I was used to, which is why I drink a lot less milk straight up than I did before. I do miss it sometimes!

Amazon has several other powdered whole milk options if the Peak doesn’t suit your tastes, and there are likely other brands out there. Powdered whole can be hard to find in regular grocery stores.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    VictoriaP said:
    4ncar said:
    I can relate. I switched to Fairlife milk earlier this year, both for lactose reasons and because being ultra pasteurized, it lasts longer. It SO doesn’t taste the same as the stuff I was used to, which is why I drink a lot less milk straight up than I did before. I do miss it sometimes!

Amazon has several other powdered whole milk options if the Peak doesn’t suit your tastes, and there are likely other brands out there. Powdered whole can be hard to find in regular grocery stores.
    I have begun a “perusal” of options and did notice my regular grocery store only had non fat🤢. I belong to a local “coop” but haven’t looked there as yet. We are going away to the woods for thanksgiving, so this will be my first try at the powdered stuff. Soonly we intend to FT and I need my “brands” lined up...😬
    2018 320S Outback
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    To your finest non-milk milk add a bit of the finest lemon juice and make the finest non-milk buttermilk.....buttermilk is far more filling (so it seems), super refreshing and in it's best presentation it always tastes just a bit "off". You'll need and drink less milk and you may find it far more satisfying....assuming that the lemon juice does not make the faux milk chunky ;)  
  • PongPong Member Posts: 39
    How about milk in the boxes that don't need refrigeration?  I usually have a box in my pantry in case I run out.  Not as good a fresh milk, but I think it's better than most powdered.
    2021 Tab 320 BD; Honda Passport
    Pong said:
    How about milk in the boxes that don't need refrigeration?  I usually have a box in my pantry in case I run out.  Not as good a fresh milk, but I think it's better than most powdered.
    I thought of that, but the quantity that I consume would weigh my trailer down!😂😂
    2018 320S Outback
    tabiphile said:
    To your finest non-milk milk add a bit of the finest lemon juice and make the finest non-milk buttermilk.....buttermilk is far more filling (so it seems), super refreshing and in it's best presentation it always tastes just a bit "off". You'll need and drink less milk and you may find it far more satisfying....assuming that the lemon juice does not make the faux milk chunky ;)  
    I’m 1/2 Armenian, I was weened on plain yogurt, buttermilk, and other varieties of curdled milk!😂. My SO is Colombiana, and they have Kumis, which is a version of buttermilk also, so I get to have that from time to time, especially when I am in Colombia! Not adverse to the “tang!”
    2018 320S Outback
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Maybe you could see if there are any Harvest Host locations at dairy farms?  😆

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    We carry the small single serve boxes, add to fridge as needed and it is good stuff.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    @N7SHG_Ham: my problem (and it really is a problem) is I drink 1-1 1/2 gallons a week.  When I go out for 3-4 days I get buy with a couple of corksicle jugs full. Our plan is to ft soon(Covid willing) and spending 1-2 weeks out off grid. Carrying single serve, or quart boxes is not going to cut it. Dry is the only way, and thus looking for the “best” dry possible.😬 If it exists.  I’m spoiled now...I only drink grass fed whole milk, I’m sure any powdered will never compare! Lol
    2018 320S Outback
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @4ncar - maybe you should invest in a portable frig like an ARB, Engle, etc.  I’m a milk lover, too, but I compromise and bring cheese and yogurt.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2020
    @4ncar - maybe you should invest in a portable frig like an ARB, Engle, etc.  I’m a milk lover, too, but I compromise and bring cheese and yogurt.
    I have!🤷🏻‍♂️ Lol. IndelB , however. Dinner with out milk? Never!! Lol
    2018 320S Outback
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yeah, it's a problem. 

My DW and I go through 2gal /week and that's just in our cappuccinos and my morning cereal.

We have a 'cow share' with a local organic farmer. Makes it really hard when we leave the area!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2020
    Caution: blasphemous trigger warning.
    This stuff doesn't require refrigeration until opened, and works well with coffee... but 10x more expensive for some reason.

Unrelated Milk Truck Conversion Camper:

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I think us milk lovers need to get together and offer ourselves up to the milk industry for advertising!  Got Milk!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    4ncar said:
    @N7SHG_Ham: my problem (and it really is a problem) is I drink 1-1 1/2 gallons a week.  When I go out for 3-4 days I get buy with a couple of corksicle jugs full. Our plan is to ft soon(Covid willing) and spending 1-2 weeks out off grid. Carrying single serve, or quart boxes is not going to cut it. Dry is the only way, and thus looking for the “best” dry possible.😬 If it exists.  I’m spoiled now...I only drink grass fed whole milk, I’m sure any powdered will never compare! Lol
    Just to set expectations here. The Peak milk powder I use suggests 3 tablespoons (24 grams) per 6 oz (175 ml) of water. Calculated out, my 900 gram can at the current going rate of $26 shipped makes under two gallons. That can is a bit bigger than a coffee can. The 2500 gram container makes a great planter once emptied, it’s huge and a bit less practical for travel.

Used as creamer substitute even at the crazy rate I drink tea, I go through about a 900 gram can every month to six weeks. But you’d be going through about one a week. Regardless of brand, you’re going to need a lot of milk powder, it’s likely to be expensive, it’s a bit of a nuisance to mix every time, and if full timing, you either have to figure out how to get frequent Amazon deliveries or spare enough storage space for pounds of the stuff. And while it doesn’t need to be refrigerated, it doesn’t store all that well in high temps (kinda curdles somewhat after high ambient heat, especially towards the expiration date), so leaving the extra supply in the truck isn’t a good option for most of the year.

It can be done, it’s just exactly cost effective and could be a bit of a pain. If that’s a concern, you might want to consider at least cutting back a little?  (“Sacrilege!” I know, I know, I’ve been there too, I’m sorry! LOL)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP: sacrilege is right!👿😂😂

i got some coming tomorrow for this first 4 day stint. It’s the “dry” run! Get it, Dry run? 😂😂😂 I kill me!
    2018 320S Outback
    4ncar said:
    @VictoriaP: sacrilege is right!👿😂😂

i got some coming tomorrow for this first 4 day stint. It’s the “dry” run! Get it, Dry run? 😂😂😂 I kill me!
    😂 I really do get it though, there was a time when I too would have been horrified at the suggestion. And I still would be if someone tried to take away my tea! I’ll be interested to see if any of the powdered milks out there prove acceptable, please do post updates.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Everything tastes better when your camping. A lesson I learned when I was 16 or 17.  On the 1st night of a 4 day winter pack trip, my friend & I hunkered in my tent whilst 10” of snow was falling. We had eaten our dinner ration but were still hungry. Rooting through our packs, we came up with jack Danials, tea(Lipton) and powdered cherry jello(all items we had extra of), and created a brew with these ingredients. It was delicious!! We made several batches.

some weeks later, I was at the same friends house, and we were reminiscing of the trip and how good the brew was. We made it again in his moms kitchen...and spat it out! Lol

everything tastes better when you’re camping!
    2018 320S Outback
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have never tasted a powder milk that tastes good, ok for cooking, but I can't drink it. Like I said, the non refrigerated boxes from these guys is best I have found for camping. https://horizon.com/
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    4ncar said:
    Everything tastes better when your camping. A lesson I learned when I was 16 or 17.  On the 1st night of a 4 day winter pack trip, my friend & I hunkered in my tent whilst 10” of snow was falling. We had eaten our dinner ration but were still hungry. Rooting through our packs, we came up with jack Danials, tea(Lipton) and powdered cherry jello(all items we had extra of), and created a brew with these ingredients. It was delicious!! We made several batches.

some weeks later, I was at the same friends house, and we were reminiscing of the trip and how good the brew was. We made it again in his moms kitchen...and spat it out! Lol

everything tastes better when you’re camping!
    Yep. Years and years ago I managed to put together a nectarine crisp that we baked over a campfire using a box covered in aluminum foil. My friend still raves about how great it was. But honestly I think that the amount we'd had to drink before we proclaimed it ready to eat at midnight was probably a big factor.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I have never tasted a powder milk that tastes good, ok for cooking, but I can't drink it. Like I said, the non refrigerated boxes from these guys is best I have found for camping. https://horizon.com/
    I’m not hopeful, but hopeful....🤪
    2018 320S Outback
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2020
    @DougH, it's that much more expensive because getting the darned little oat kernel to stay still, while they strap on the tiny milking machine is very labor intensive!
    DougH said:
    This stuff doesn't require refrigeration until opened, and works well with coffee... but 10x more expensive for some reason.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    I love to go camping.  Just bring me!

Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    We're big milk drinkers also..but while travelling we don't drink as much of it..I do bring almond milk for smoothies which doesn't need to be refrigerated till opened. And yes like @Sharon_is_SAM says cheese and yogurt are always packed. Luckily I drink black coffee!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, cheese & yogurt are always part of the menu, but both are hard to drink!😒😁
    2018 320S Outback