Getting anxious about,........backing up my T@B !!!

Ok, so newbies from Charlotte, NC here and we will picking up our T@B 320 Boondock in just over a week.  And here's what keeps me up at night; having to back up with a camper attached.  The last time I backed up with anything attached was in the late 1960's, and that was a John Deere lawnmower with a small trailer attached.  (No one was injured and no insurance claims were filed). Been getting tons of great information and tips on this forum, but hoping someone might help ease my anxiety !
Thanks in advance  
Charlotte, NC    NuCamp 320S Boondock

Comments

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Ok, so newbies from Charlotte, NC here and we will picking up our T@B 320 Boondock in just over a week.  And here's what keeps me up at night; having to back up with a camper attached.  The last time I backed up with anything attached was in the late 1960's, and that was a John Deere lawnmower with a small trailer attached.  (No one was injured and no insurance claims were filed). Been getting tons of great information and tips on this forum, but hoping someone might help ease my anxiety !
    Thanks in advance  
    You can probably spend a month watching videos on YouTube on how to back up a trailer.

To narrow it down, look for ones that are utilizing shorter trailers, since they react a lot quicker than the big boys.

There is a good simple short one called the swoop method.  You definitely should check that one out.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited November 2020
    Hi there and welcome to the T@B family! We were all newbies at backing up at some point and I TOTALLY remember that anxious feeling. In fact, its stuck with me until about my 4th camping season.  Towing it home for the first time in 2015, I was so scared to even pull in to get gas that my gas light came on about 4 miles from my house on the way home because I was afraid I might get into a "have to back up" scenario at the gas station. When I got it home, it took me almost an hour and half to get it backed around to the back of my house. 

Fast forward to last year when I just finally got the feel for it.  I can't even really put it into works, so this isn't at all helpful.  I started out literally saying OUT LOUD every time "I want the trailer to go right so turn the steering wheel to the left" that worked pretty good for me for a few years, then somehow my brain got reprogrammed and now I do it automatically. 

I do the swoop method too which at least gets you part way into the space to start out!  Also remember to always glance at where the front of your tow vehicle is going as you're backing so you don't accidentally kiss a tree or other obstacle.  

I had a 320 to start out and now I have a 400. I have to say that the 320 was alot harder to back up because its so short, so just practice in a parking lot somewhere. 
  • mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    Someone on this forum in a differnt thread had the simplest method I've ever read before.  Merely put your hand on the 6 oclock position (bottom) of the steering wheel.  Then looking backward or in the mirror, if you want to turn the trailer to the left, move your hand to the left.  If you want to turn the trailer to the right, move your hand to the right. Very small movements, very slow speed, and a little practice and you'll be backing up like a pro in short order. 
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The only way the fear will really go away, is practice until you master it. Each length of trailer is different, each length and turning radius of tow vehicle is different.

One thing you can do that will help is learn to use both of your side mirrors right now and practice until you can blind side back into a stall in a parking lot. I find lots of folks can't back solo using mirrors and that is the first skill to master.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ...all I will say is, practice makes perfect. Yes, you will feel intimidated, yes, all the other campers at the park have a better idea. Just take your time and don’t fall pray to the performance anxiety pressured by yourself & others. You’ll get it!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • gderrickgderrick Member Posts: 15
    I like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1B5d_K2__4

Like N7SHG_Ham said get out there and practice.  I point my mirrors down and in a bit more than normal so that when the T@B is inline with the TV I can see at least the fenders on the trailer giving me a reference for where the axle is at making it easier for me to know when to initiate my back ins.  
    2006 T@B
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Put your ego aside.  Go slow.  If you have a spotter, make sure you can see them in your mirror.  Determine what hand signals you will use.  Have the spotter point in the direction they want the back of the trailer to go.  Don't talk. 
    I'm four years into ownership and I still suck at backing up, and I've stopped worrying about it. 
    I had a friend who wanted to buy a 22 foot trailer, and she had never towed anything.  Asked for some towing instruction, and we went out on a couple of weekends so she could see that, yes, she could hook up a trailer. I explained how hard it was to back up.  Did a quick trip to a big parking lot......and she was backing the Tab almost perfectly on the very first try.  Some people are just naturals.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @charlottenewbies...if you still have the John Deere and little trailer pull it out again and practise..the little trailer reacts the same as your new trailer does...hubby practised with our backyard before getting our T@g...he is a pro...at nucamp19.. he backed up 3 trailers for others..from another T@g up to a 400!.. slow and steady wins the race...even though this is not a race! I'm still practising in our yard...lol...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • pakpak Member Posts: 113
    Find a large empty parking lot.(no distractions or obstacles to worry you) Start backing in a straight line first. If there are parking lines in the lot use these. Going very slow make small corrections as soon as you start to go off track. If you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel you move your hand the direction you wish the back of the trailer to go. After a slight correction return the steering wheel to center. Baby steps first and after a few sessions you will get the hang of it. It is much of the brain understanding the mirrors as anything. After you get it down the best way to stay out of backing problems is to have a plan when you are parking. How are you entering and exiting? Where are the obstacles, etc. If you can't see or have any doubts about where the trailer is headed get out and look. Backing is a fun puzzle to master.

• DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    I agree with everyone elses advice on the mechanics of how to do and practice backing up.  My suggestion is to always have a spotter watching you back up.  Roll your windows down so you can hear and speak to your spotter.  
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    The first night we had our 400 and arrived at the storage shed we’d rented to store it in, I got a similar wave of anxiety as you.  I started backing it toward the open door of the shed 3 or 4 times before another gentlemen who arrived to back in and park a flat top 40+ foot trailer next to the shed (he did it in about 30 seconds), stepped in and gave me some advice I have used since to become very proficient.  He told me to “steer to the danger”.  In other words, if the back end of the trailer is heading toward a wall, tree, rock, etc, you simply turn your steering wheel toward the “danger”, and the trailer will start moving away from it.  After that night, I’ve had dozens and dozens of opportunities to practice.  I would take it slow, with my wife as spotter, and played with that thinking in my mind...”steer to the danger”.  Now, it feels natural, and I can make those smaller and more instinctive adjustments and many times back it in first try to even the tightest of spaces.  

One other thing I’d suggest is that if your vehicle does not have them, you invest in a great set of add on mirrors to extend your visibility further from the side of your TV.  It will help you to better see what your RV is doing.  

We purchased these for our Jeep GC. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C7P7EOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just know that we all went through it.  Take it slow, practice whatever method seems to work best for you (lots of great suggestions here and elsewhere in this forum or on the internet), and don’t fear the process of learning.  You’ll get it, and don’t feel bad if you think everyone else is watching.  Even if they are, most, and maybe all, are hopeful and encouraging in their observance, and want you to succeed.  After all, we’ve all been in your shoes before.  Good luck.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • charlottenewbiescharlottenewbies Member Posts: 16
    Hey all, thanks so much for all the advice and input.  Unfortunately the old John Deere is long gone.  I realize it will simply take practice and patience.  The videos were helpful as well. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    And that lawn tractor with its short wheelbase trailer was harder to back up than the TaB will be...  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    I was in a similar situation in June. Yeah it'll be very uncomfortable for the first few times but it get's easier. I'm no expert now but I recognize easy / challenging / hard and nope don't go there. The last few times have been remarkably not challenging. BUT go slow and it's okay to go forward to reset the angle.  ALSO have a spotter and get out a lot to review the situation...frequently.  You'll be fine we've all been there.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    As mentioned above (believe I posted something along these lines elsewhere) the best method I've found is instead of placing your hands at the top of the wheel (like 10 & 2,), place them at the bottom, like 8 & 4. Looking in your mirror, if you want the trailer to go left, use your left hand to turn the wheel...if you want it to go right, use your right hand. Small movements work best and at slow speeds.

Whenever possible, angle backing should be done on the driver side (drivers mirror has full view of the trailer), not the blind (passenger) side. Most parks are laid-out in this manner. 

I've also found that if I need to back into a spot from an angle I begin by cranking the wheel fairly hard to start the trailer turning fairly sharply, then back the wheel out as you back up slowly. This settles the trailer on the proper "heading" sooner rather than later, which I feel is a good thing. Getting the trailer started fairly sharply so you're almost lined up properly then backing the wheel out seems to me to be easier to line up. Otherwise I end up chasing the trailer to get it lined up properly and by then I'm too deep into the spot to make any corrections. 

And one rule I learned a long time ago...when you're using a spotter, no yelling! Make sure the spotter is in view at all times and use agreed upon hand signals. Makes for a much less stressful experience!  
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    The best tip I received was from my RV dealer: before moving forward/backward to realign the trailer, keep your foot on the brakes and turn the steering wheel. Then move. Slowly.
    I'm still learning too... and being fearful is ok. It's healthy fear because you love your T@B!
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    My best recommendation is relax.  Getting excited will definitely make things worse.  When my wife was headed off on her first solo trip to the mountains we took the trailer to a remote private road where there were no distractions and she just backed up.  Quite a distance.  Just backed up, watching her mirrors, relaxing, no pressure, no distraction.  Her trip to the mountains was a success and she has made numerous trips since with no problems.  I typically drive when we're using the trailer but have no doubt that her ability is solid.  She is totally confident, relaxed.
    2016 cs-s max
  • charlottenewbiescharlottenewbies Member Posts: 16
    You guys rock !  Thanks for all the great advice !  Much appreciated