Options

Tips for Reading/Adding Glycol?

SystemSystem Posts: 180
This discussion was created from comments split from: Changing out the Alde fluid..

Original question from @MadCityJack: "Any tips on how to read the reservoir? I was thinking of putting a dowel in the reservoir and if I knew how high the minimum level was from the bottom, I suspect I could figure the rest out."

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2020
    Dr. @jesherman

If you have a combination white light and UV light flashlight (for finding stains, water damage, or scorpions), they're great for checking the glycol level. Shows up bright green.

I have no idea if this might work, and I don't want to mislead anyone with my ignorance, but what would happen if you drained a quart from the bottom of the T@B for proper recycling, then added a quart to the resevoir, and run the Alde for a while? After several repetitions would one eventually end up with half or more fresh stuff in the system in a relatively simple process?

gregndeb said some have reported not much comes out that bottom plug if you undo it... and nothing like the 2.0-2.5g in the system, so maybe that won't work. But it does make me wonder if one used a pump and applied suction at the bottom plug whether that would be effective... instead of sucking out the fluid from the reservoir and hose as gregndeb describes.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    I don’t have the white/UV light flashlight, but great idea.  Your approach is likely the one I’ve thought would work for me, unless a dealer steps up in response to the inquiries I’ve made.  This discussion taught me a lot really.  I really don’t want to be called anything other than my handle, but thank you. 
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2020
    @jesherman I bought this $11.50 light a couple years ago and it's still working well:
         https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07568DFCH
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I feel lucky, in that our local dealer has no issue servicing the Alde, as far as changing out the glycol is concerned.  We had our 2018 TaB400 done this past summer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    edited December 2020
    @jesherman - try marking the Minimum and Maximum levels with permanent marker.  Then, if you shine a light on top, the level is easier to see.  You can also mount a small auto mirror across from the markings - although that may work better for the CS model.  Others use their phone to view the level.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    @jesherman - try marking the Minimum and Maximum levels with permanent marker.  Then, if you shine a light on top, the level is easier to see.  You can also mount a small auto mirror across from the markings - although that may work better for the CS model.  Others use their phone to view the level.
    Sharon, Thank you.  I just marked the MIN and MAX raised lines.  That was useful and I can see the level is just about 1/2 inch low.  The distance between MIN and MAX lines is approximately 1.5 “.  So adding about a 1/2” above the MIN should not be difficult.  If I can’t find a dealer to pump all of the Glycol out and replace it with fresh Glycol, this Spring I will drain what I can and refill through the reservoir.   I’ll see about finding a small container, perhaps fitting it with a longish funnel.  Any ideas for what people may use as tools to pour it in?
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A Coca Cola 12 oz or 20 oz plastic bottle (rinsed out very well) and a funnel. Fill the Coke bottle about 2/3 full using the funnel. Pour the glycol into the reservoir using the funnel. 

Rinse the funnel and Coke bottle and keep it for future use, but never use them for anything g else. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    We we did the same as Verna.  The limited space requires a smallish bottle.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio