Post-Production Upgrades @ factory

I have a 320 S BD that is due in April 2021 and wanted a few upgrades done before delivery at the factory. I was clearly told this morning, after several attempts at getting an answer, that I must work through the dealer to get those done -- no use contacting NuCamp directly. My dealer has been less than stellar in communications and, at this point, will probably just take delivery without any mods. Was looking forward to getting things"just right" before hitting the road in the spring, but I guess we'll go without mods.
2021 400 BD
2018 Ford F150 

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @LonesomeRoad - have you made it clear to your dealer about your post-production requests?  What have you heard back?  Do they know who to contact at nuCamp about your requested mods?  If you are not satisfied, I would notify Customerservice@nucamprv.com.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    Yes, I have made it clear. The response was that they wanted to do the upgrades at the dealer after they get the unit and not interested in pursuing it with the NuCamp. I understand that there are shipping issues that can be part of this equation, but I'm willing to pick it up in Sugarcreek or to even wait for another shipping time to the dealer. Being new to the RV world (like so many others this past year!), I think I set my expectations too high and 'sorta regret the decision to purchase now after trying to deal with various ordering vagaries and reading of the number of warranty claims on new campers. In August we were pretty excited about getting a camper in the spring of '21 to coincide with retirement (even stopping at the factory on a vacation trip), now not so excited. I basically read every post on this forum (a great asset) and have since August of last year, so I feel like I have a good pulse of what is going on out there and it seems like a free-for-all in terms of dealer responsiveness and quality control @ NuCamp.

I've been in contact with customer service (Raphael), and he is the one that told me that I absolutely have to work through the dealer.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2021
    You can work through a dealer to get the after production mods done, and possibly arrange through a dealer for pick up at nüCamp.  Another option is to get a stock unit from a dealer, then arrange with nuCamp service dept, (if they are still doing post delivery direct customer service) to get the changes done by them, and you would take the trailer to nüCamp Service after scheduling an appointment. 

The trip would give you shake down trip to see if you have any issues covered under their warranty, which then could be sorted by nüCamp service dept.  This would take the dealer out of the loop for he changes you want to have done.  However, getting the nüCamp service appointment may take a few months, and would need to be scheduled after you have taken delivery.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    Sorry to read your starting off disappointed.  We've had our tab cs-s for five years and love it.  We have had occasional issues, or challenges that have given us the opportunity to better understand our camper.  Our dealer is hours away and NuCamp is beyond reach.  I have called customer service and been very pleased with they're assistance.  Again, I am sorry your starting off disappointed but given time your camper will likely smooth those memories and replace them with a lot of great adventures.  Shame on NuCamp for not making you feel more welcome.  Nice to have the forum to share with.  Your gonna love your t@b.  
    2016 cs-s max
    Thanks for the encouragement, nhmike and the idea, Denny16, of just trying to schedule service with NuCamp after delivery. Since we have family not far from Sugarcreek, that could work out fine.

We only went with NuCamp after doing a lot of reading and really hope for a quality product, like many on here are enjoying, and trust they come through with that. 
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
    @LonesomeRoad - working through your dealer means allowing the dealer to arrange for your requested mods by nuCamp.  It does not mean denying your right to have service via nuCamp.  I would make it clear to Raphael that they are refusing to honor your requests.  I would also ask if their post-production mods policy has changed.  I wonder if they are backed up?  It’s been a crazy year.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    I would contact Austin at NuCamp, who is the Service Manager and runs the post production shop.  He is who I worked with last spring to get my mods done at the factory prior to delivery at the dealer.  My dealer even told me to contact him.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    Best to reach Austin via email at repairs.nuCamp rv.com.
  • linolino Member Posts: 224
    edited January 2021
    I believe you can get the same mods post delivery of you travel to the factory like you mentioned 

It could take time to get an appointment   but it’s the same folks doing the mods

I have been there two and Austin snd crew are awesome 
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    It's interesting - my dealer was willing to get NuCamp to upgrade my Fantastic fan, but they had never heard of the BMV-712 monitor and wouldn't ask the factory to preinstall it (even though others have).  No loss - I'll do it myself - but there definitely appears to be a little inconsistency from dealer to dealer regarding what they'll do..
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    TomCanada said:
    It's interesting - my dealer was willing to get NuCamp to upgrade my Fantastic fan, but they had never heard of the BMV-712 monitor and wouldn't ask the factory to preinstall it (even though others have).  No loss - I'll do it myself - but there definitely appears to be a little inconsistency from dealer to dealer regarding what they'll do..
    I am having the Fantastic installed at the factory as well.  The additional electrical components, the BMV-712 and solar controller for the portable panel, I will do myself.  It seems that the dealer could not understand that request, so no sense having them translate it to NuCamp.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I'm wondering if part of the problem is that with items such as the Maxxair deluxe fan it has to be part of the original order with your dealer..they cannot just add to an order after it's been placed with NuCamp..they did this many years ago, but I don't believe it's common practise anymore. Our Maxxair fan was part of our original order and it came installed for us..if I'd thought of the battery monitor being installed on the wall..oh well..c'est la vie...will put in on our list for uCamp!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • kmulhkmulh Member Posts: 36
    I have a 400 on order, scheduled for late February delivery, and talked to the dealership today about having NuCamp add a second propane tank and an upgraded fan.  My salesperson let me know that NuCamp isn't doing this sort of pre-delivery customization right now due to assembly line slowdowns and delivery scheduling.  It sounds like if it's not an option on the order form you need the dealership to do the mods or schedule it with NuCamp post-delivery.  Has anyone else experienced this with a new build?
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
    edited January 2021
    The factory does not do custom add on or changes whilst the camper is in the assembly line, all mods are done after the camper has been built, in the Setvice Dept.  Dealer probably does not want to delay shipping of several units while waiting for the post production mods on a specific trailer.   

So yes, the dealer is correct, however, nothing says thr mods can not be done post production, pre dealer delivery, if the order is prepaid and customer is willing to accept delayed shipping waiting for the dealer’s next unit shipment, so the dealer’s normal unit shipment is not delayed.  Dealer’s normally get paid final $ upon delivery, another reason they might not want a pro-sold unit delivery delayed.  A lot of factors going on here...
    cheers
    Out of the blue, I got an e-mail from the dealer yesterday with add-ins for the upgrades I wanted done at the factory! Apparently NuCamp forwarded my request and that put enough pressure on the dealer to write up a new PO. It wasn't clear whether the upgrades would be done by the dealer or after the build was complete, but before shipment from NuCamp. Ends up, after a call, that the upgrades WOULD be done at NuCamp after it came off the line. SO...as others above have pointed out, if you can push the dealer and you're willing to deal with any delays in delivery (and the dealer is), NuCamp will do the upgrades. Yesterday was the first time I saw any pricing, however, and it was significant enough that I'm just taking the 320 without modifications. I had wanted a hard-wired Progressive 30AMP EMS and a MaxxAir fan and a Victron SmartShunt. There was such a large charge for labor that, frankly, I could not afford the upgrades. 

Good news is that if you follow protocol and have a cooperative dealer, that things CAN happen in "post-production." If anyone wants to talk about the quoted #s for the upgrades, you can PM me.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I had the EMS installed at factory, can't recall cost, but seems a couple hours labor, it adds up.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    Hooking up the hard wired EMS is a bit of a hassle, given the AC line location behind the closet/fridge area in the 400, but doable.  Connecting a Victron Battery monitor or Smart Shunt is fairly easy, you need to unscrew a couple of panels under the bunk and you have access.  Replacing the roof vent is the hardest project, due to its location and need to get a good weather tight seal, and you might consider having nüCamp do this mod for you.
    cheers
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    +1 to what @Denny16 said.  I'm tackling the shunt and EMS myself - but I'm leaving the fan upgrade to the pros.  I barely trust myself to caulk the bathtub - I'm not touching the roof!
  • BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    We took delivery of our 2021 Tab 320 Boondock a few weeks ago. We were fortunate to be able to get one “off the floor”.  And in all honesty I am glad that we were able to sit in it, dream and imagine things before we made any changes.  After many, many hours of researching we are making a few changes .. but one I am curious about.  I really want to be able to use our fan even in the rain so I need to add a cover (Maxxair).  However I can’t add the height or I can’t fit it in my garage.  So.. it has been suggested that I purchase the MaxxAir 7000... it is a low profile unit.   Does anyone have experience with this?  
    @Bclarke - they are a popular and great addition.  I looked at Amazon and it says it is about 3 1/2 inches high from the mounting surface.  We love ours, but we don’t have the challenge of a tight fit.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We have one on our 2021 400 and it's awesome.  Not only is it very low profile, but yes it can be used in the rain and it has 10 speeds.  When on lower speeds you can hardly hear it at all.  It on speed 1 or 2 it is so quiet you can sleep through it at night.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • BclarkeBclarke Member Posts: 110
    Appreciate the comments!