Flooring issue of 2018 Tab 400

bellimagesbellimages Member Posts: 28
NuCamp's service bulletin states that units built from Nov. 1, 2017 thru January 31, 2018 can have an issue with the underlayment of the flooring due to a lack of Azdel during that period of time. Therefore Green Core was used. Even though our unit was manufactured a month after the January cut-off, we have an issue with soft spots – areas that give quite a bit when stepped on. Austin has taken a look at this problem three times and assures me that there is no structural issue, and that the flooring would never break through. That said, he would like to fix the problem.

I want to say that Austin has been the best service manager that I've ever dealt with, hands down!  So I trust that this issue can be rectified. BUT can it be fixed to look GOOD AS NEW?

I've worked in design my entire career. So it follows that I look at everything from a standpoint of design and craftsmanship. The units coming off the NuCamp manufacturing floor are top notch in terms of interior design and construction. I'm concerned that that this "fix" will be noticeable. The service techs have to remove the cabinets, and somehow get new flooring slid under the existing wall of the bathroom. I really question whether this fix will satisfy my standards.

For those of you who have been though this, I'd like your thoughts. 
2018 Tab 400
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X (4.6 liter automatic)
Roof mounted solar panels

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You will not notice the floor change, says the voice of experience. The floor of my 2019 T@B 400 was replaced by Austin’s group and it as not noticeable. My floor was one of the 400’s with a delaminated floor issue. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2021
    First off, the floor repair only goes down from the front dinette to the front edges of the washroom/hanging locker (closet) not all the way under, which would require removing shower pan, black tank and entire wall unit around them.  

The new sub floor is spliced into the original floor under these areas and the rear bunk, with Azdel replacing the Green Core in the foot traffic area and up under the galley cabinets, some of which are removed.  The washroom and rear bunk, along with the Cool Car AC are not removed.  A water proof underlay is added and the new floor covering put on top, all spliced to their counterpart under the washroom, AC and rear bunk areas, to create a smooth floor. 
    I would 
    I had this done to our 2018 TaB400. Here are some shots of the repair in progress and completed:

Galley cabinet facings being removed above.  You can see the Green Core buckle in the red circle area, causing the flooring to lift up.

next, door area stripped back to remove old floor and replace underlayment.

Next front dinette lower woodwork being removed to allow access (lower photo)

Underpayment being applied over new Azdel floor. Next the new top floor covering was replaced with same flooring as original factory installed, shown above.

the finished floor 

Hope this helps show how the repair is done.  As you can see in the photo showing the repaired/replaced floor, you can not tell it was done, except the floor is new, no soft spots and uniformly flat.  I was happy with the results, and was assured it is completely water proof.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @Verna - My 400 was built along-side your 400 back in June 2018, based on a serial number comparison (@ uCamp 2019). If you had a problem, I'll assume that I will, too. I live near and store it in a dry, desert area. I don't see any floor issues now, but did you have a similar issue as did Denny16? Maybe I just need to look closer? Hmmm. Thank you. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

@NorthIsUp, I had a soft spot and bubbled spot in front of the bed and another in front of the bathroom.  The dog’s bowl was never in either spot so I knew that wasn’t it ftom a leak or water laying on the floor.   I had Austin look at it at üCamp 19, along with their chemical engineer and I scheduled an appointment later in the summer. It is a two day job with Austin’s crew. Do remember that at this time, I had been living in my 400 for around a year. 

The delamination occurred due to the floor vender changing the method of applying glue to the various layers. They were not apply enough glue, nor a continuous layer of glue, to keep the floor layers glued together.  They changed the method of applying glue and the problem has disappeared. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    Our 2019 also has a developing soft spot in front of the bed running across from the closet to the fridge.  Two questions:  if not structural, why worry about it other than a little wavey to the eye.  if you do get it remedied at 2 days labour and then materials at the factory; how much does it cost to get done???  We live in British Columbia so totally unlikely we have the option to have NuCamp do the fix.
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2021
    You could get the floor fixed a Vogel RV In Ukiha CA, which is 150 miles north of San Francisco, off Hwy 101.  They are the ones that fixed our TaB400 under a warranty repair.  Unless nüCamp offers a warranty repair, the cost could be high,  labor for our job was around $1600, glad we didn’t have to pay that bill.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited January 2021
    The floor is under a three year warranty.  My 400’s floor is scheduled to be replaced at NuCamp in three weeks. Soft spots developed in front of dinette and by galley. My build date was March 2018.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    Hey, @DenisP, you now have the award for the oldest, best looking T@B 400😉. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    @verna Thank you for the correction, even I am not that old. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    @DenisP, thankfully not me either!  There was a pandemic that year, also!
    Verna, Columbus, IN