camping trailer breakdown towing

Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
I tow a Tab 400 with my Toyota Tundra. Tundra has AAA. But if it breaks down, who tows the camper and where would they leave it? Ideally they would take it to the nearest camp site. Then i could camp while waiting for a repair on the truck. Sams club will tow the camper to an rv dealer if its broken. But tough luck if it is not. So how do you guys deal with this possibilty? My truck broke down, but fortunately it was ay my sons house. Squirrels got into the engine compartment and chewed the wiring overnight.

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I think AAA has a trailer towing option plan, which will tow the trailer and covered vehicle in the case of a breakdown.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited January 2021
    AAA originating in some states will cover trailer towing...this sometimes is called the Plus RV plan. But you’ll need to confirm whether or not a plan of that type is offered in your domicile state, since not all clubs offer it. If it is available to you, my understanding is that the coverage is nationwide. Good Sam club offers roadside assistance for RVs, as does Escapees RV club. Your trailer insurance also may cover this situation.

Worst case, I’d pay for it out of pocket, which isn’t ideal, but better than abandoning the trailer by the side of the road.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @Tundra57 ;
    YouTuber Slim Potatohead had several roadside breakdowns with his older TV and Aliner pop-up.  Each time he remarked how helpful the Tow Truck operator was in getting his trailer to a campsite.  A place for him to wait while TV 'parts' shipped to middle of nowhere.

In general TV was loaded on one of those flatbed Tow Trucks (roll-back) and the trailer was towed by Tow Truck.  Slim never shared the cost but seemed OK with the results.

Like so many things, fully explain your situation to the vendor before they arrive on site and they will work with you to find a solution.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Good Sam Platinum Plus will tow the RV to a CG if the TV is deadlined. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    My AAA will not tow a camping trailer.
    I went to an RV store and when asked about Good Sam and was told none of their plans would tow a camping trailer seperately to a camp ground, only tow both vehicles to the same place.
    So I will actually call them instead and ask. However the last twice I tried, left me wsiting for 30 mins, so I gave up. I looked at the plans on line and did not see any which stated towing to a campground. Ill take another look.
    So probably I would have to ask the tow guy nicely and hope the cost is reasonable.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    You can always pay a towing company to tow it wherever you want. Your money spends just as well as any "club" insurance plan.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Tundra57 said:
    My AAA will not tow a camping trailer.
    I went to an RV store and when asked about Good Sam and was told none of their plans would tow a camping trailer seperately to a camp ground, only tow both vehicles to the same place.
    So I will actually call them instead and ask. However the last twice I tried, left me wsiting for 30 mins, so I gave up. I looked at the plans on line and did not see any which stated towing to a campground. Ill take another look.
    So probably I would have to ask the tow guy nicely and hope the cost is reasonable.
    Check the Good Sam site. Don't take the word of an RV dealer...EVER! They're glorified used car salesmen. 

GS states the Platinum Plus plan will tow to CG if TV is DOA. The FAQ'S talk about a 5th wheel so check with them RE: travel trailers. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    If I am not mistaken, we got around this by insuring the TaB with Progressive.  If something happens to the TV, our policy covers moving the TaB.  We have AAA for the minivan.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I guess I’m fortunate. Hoosier AAA will tow the tow vehicle and the camper. Yes, I’ve checked and double checked. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 65
    edited January 2021
    A good podcast regarding this topic.  Give it a listen if you are so inclined.  Part about insurance coverage starts at 19:00.

"Roadside Assistance and RV Quality Improvements" on the RV Miles Podcast.

2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 65
    FWIW I just received an email from Good Sam (camping world) regarding a sale for "50% off roadside plans. Sale ends 1/22/21"
    Doesn't look like you need a code, just go to website https://www.goodsamroadside.com
    sale prices run from $120/yr to $65/yr depending on coverage.
    2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
    So i called Sams club. Platinum plans will take the truck to the nearest dealer or garage. Also take the camper trailer to a "safe" location. Which usually is a camp site if open. Else a Walmart or similar. Max distance for either is 100miles.
    Yes they have a half off sale so I got two years for the price of one.
    I have geico truck insurance with the trailer as a ridet and my motorcycle with Progressive. Did not check with progressive what they offer for the trailer, but i will. If they include road side, I might change the camper.
    Thanks for all your comments.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    AAA road policy for vehicles doesn’t cover the trailer nationally.  I found that out recently along the Will Rogers turnpike in Oklahoma.  They DID send out a road repair guy and he changed out the tire on the trailer for me.  My wife had the AAA road service plan but unless the policy holder is on site they will not cover you unless both you and your spouse are on the ol policy.  I now have a separate RV policy for the trailer and you are correct, your insurance provider does cover you if you have their road hazard/towing option in place.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2021
    Wow, what kind of tire?  I don't see an electronic TPMS sensor on that valve stem.  Do you use an internal one on each tire, or just check tire pressure at rest stops?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2021
    We have CAA RV plus for that reason...have yet to need it and hopefully never will..but not leaving The "C@stle" on the side of the road..even with all our locks!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    AAA RV Plus is not nationwide. If you have that plan and are traveling in an area that does not offer it, your RV Plus plan is not valid.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Mouseketab, my sister’s transmission went out on her RV in British Columbia. The wrecker towed her to the nearest town, 50 miles, no charge. The RV Repair shop took her to a motel, and she spent two weeks there. She walked in the downtown area for food and siteseeing. Hoosier AAA RV Plus reimbursed for trip interruption and her extended warranty covered the transmission. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I thought that your local AAA office that issues the policy is what determines your coverage.  Not the location of breakdown.  Can anyone confirm?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    It's just what I read from someone that had AAA RV Plus. They had a breakdown in an area that did not offer the RV Plus, and that local AAA would not tow their trailer. However, with Good Sam, I've had personal experience, where they towed my truck to a local repair shop, towed me and my trailer to a campground, and my truck was repaired the next morning, and the repair shop picked me up. (I did pay for the repair, radiator hose).
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL