Options

Tekonsha Prodigy performance

CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
edited January 2021 in Trailer & Towing
Our 320 BD is expected to arrive in March, and after looking at the options for brake controllers, we opted for the Tekonsha Prodigy, which our dealer will install prior to delivery. Looking through the online info about the Prodigy, I discovered this note:
"The Prodigy RF cannot distinguish between hazard lights and brake lights. If you turn on your vehicle's hazard lights while towing with this controller, your trailer brakes will pulse."
This would seem to be a substantial drawback to the Prodigy. For those that have the Tekonsha installed, is it possible to dial down the braking assist far enough so that the four-way flasher can be safely used during an emergency situation on the highway? Or is it the case that the hazard lights should not be used at any time when the camper is connected? 
2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    In the year that I used it on the 400, this was never an issue. Yes, I noticed something (right now I can’t remember what it was that I noticed but there was no harm done) when I turned on my 4-ways when checking the lights prior to every departure. 

In all honesty, if the 4-ways are on, I am traveling at a very slow speed where the brakes pulsing will not be a factor. The pulsing is such a slight tap that it really isn’t noticeable. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    Have you considered the Curt Echo?  It has a button you press when driving with hazards so it doesn't pulse your brakes.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    It looks like it does not occur with all TVs.  I contacted Techonsha about this in 2019.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8716/tekonsha-prodigy-rf-wireless-trailer-brake-controller-issue-noted-when-towing/p1
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    your turn signal and brake lights are not wired through the controller.  They pick up a line directly from your vehicle and are wired into the 7-pin connector on two pins, one left, one right.  The actual brake control is a separate pins.

What you're saying doesn't make sense to me.  

Also- if you hit your hazards.... why wouldn't you want the brake lights on the back of your tab to also be flashing?

Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    morey000 said:
    your turn signal and brake lights are not wired through the controller.  They pick up a line directly from your vehicle and are wired into the 7-pin connector on two pins, one left, one right.  The actual brake control is a separate pins.

What you're saying doesn't make sense to me.  

Also- if you hit your hazards.... why wouldn't you want the brake lights on the back of your tab to also be flashing?
    Others way smarter than me will know the answer for sure, but I don't think this is correct as far as the wiring is concerned.
    While you of course want the brake lights on both the vehicle and trailer to be on when the brake pedal is depressed, the 4-way flashers - the turn signal lamps engaging in unison - should be able to be on independently.
    Looking through a previous thread on this, as @Sharon_is_SAM indicated, it looks this doesn't occur with every vehicle. I'm going to try and contact Tekonsha to see if it's a known issue with my TV. I really would prefer not hard wire a controller for a variety of reasons.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Own a 2020 400 and this controller. It has never been an issue. 

And yes, you can dial it up and down. In fact its something you should check every time you plug the controller in and test the trailer brakes independently before you get underway. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    Mine has always worked great. 2016  to present 
  • Options
    @CharlieRN - Check Etrailer, too.  Lots of commentary on the RF Prodigy on that site.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @CharlieRN, have the Tekonsha Prodigy since 2016. 3 different tow vehicles and the brakes pulsing with 4 way flashers on has never occurred. As a note, all of our tvs have been general motors products. Love the Prodigy and its performance.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I sent a note to Tekonsha asking if they had information relative to my specific car and the pulsing issue. I'm not sure if their response was deliberately ambiguous but it did not address my question at all:
    "As the brake lights and hazard lights are converted into one before  going into the RV 7 way plug, the hazards and brake lights are one on the trailer side.  The brake control looks for brake lights on both sides (left turn/brake and right turn/brake) and when it senses both, it turns the brake control on."
    This seems to be saying that "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances" regarding pulsing when the hazards are activated. Am I reading too much into things?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    How about a more direct question like “Driving down the road with my 2008 XC-90, will the RF brake control be initiated when the hazard lights are turned on?”  That should be answered yes or no.
  • Options
    I like leaving only the "yes or no" answer option and will try again. What I asked was pretty direct though.
  • Options
    Hope you get the answer but I suspect it will be generic and "...every vehicle is different so, YMMV." 

Please keep us posted. I've never had an issue, but...
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    From the reading I've done, it depends on how aggressive your brake controller is set, your TT's brake characteristics, etc.  Definitely YMMV.  Perhaps this may help:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-5501.html
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I had a worthwhile and enlightening phone conversation with Tekonsha Customer Service this morning. The rep I spoke with said that the information about the brake pulsing was outdated and applied only to the earlier iteration of the Prodigy RF. The earlier model was discontinued in October 2019.
    For the newer Prodigy RF (part number 902502 - June 2020 on), when the hazard lights are turned on, the unit disengages and no longer applies the trailer brakes automatically (i. e., via TV brake engagement.) If you need to brake the trailer with the 4-ways on, you must do so manually, via the controller.
  • Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Frankly, I think I prefer the earlier version. 

If I'm running down the road and have to engage the 4-ways (by definition I've declared an emergency), I'd prefer to not have another operational detail to manage at the same time.

In addition the instances where I'm  engaging the trailer brakes without the TV brakes are typically ( but not always) related to issues about controlling sway. If I'm busy trying to control sway ( steering properly, off the gas, engaging Prodigy, etc), I likely won't engage the 4 ways until after it's under control and I'm pulling over to change my britches! 

Thanks again for the follow up. Much appreciated. That's what this forum is all about. 

Cheers,
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    @AirBoss - I'm happy to have finally provided some helpful information to the forum, a marked change from my usual . . .
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 345
    Verna said:
    In the year that I used it on the 400, this was never an issue. Yes, I noticed something (right now I can’t remember what it was that I noticed but there was no harm done) when I turned on my 4-ways when checking the lights prior to every departure. 

In all honesty, if the 4-ways are on, I am traveling at a very slow speed where the brakes pulsing will not be a factor. The pulsing is such a slight tap that it really isn’t noticeable. 
    Getting ready to give up on my Curt and looking for a wired controller for my RAV4.  What do you use now, Verna?  No matter where I set my curt it jerks my 320.
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @CharlieRN. My brake controller was purchased in 2018. 

@YanniLazarus, the F-150 has a built-in brake controller. I let my prodigy go with my 400 when I sold it. 

I would not hesitate to get the wireless Prodigy RF again. It was so nice to just plug it in and it worked. It worked well, and I would still have it if the F-150 didn’t have the built in brake controller.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    We went with the wired Tekonsha Primus Eq.  We recommend it if you tow with only one vehicle and rarely tow anything but one trailer.   So far it has operated as desired.  Our Ranger lacked the standard socket that would have made installation easy.  We found a YouTube video for a Curt wired controller and Ranger.   Those instructions also applied to our vehicle and controller.  An extension wire and additional swear words made for a successful installation.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH