Remodel 2020

With the curtailed camping season for 2020, and finding a much smaller air conditioner I decided to perform another remodel for our 2004 T@B.
The disassembly.

New front cabinets with 'SMEV' sink and stove combo returned to service, small AC unit at right of pic.

New ceiling - the original carpeted ceiling was delaminating and sagging.

Liz is very pleased with the new look and functionality of our vintage 2004 DM T@B.
Geo & Liz
T@BMahal
'04  #100

Comments

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Geo, I bow to your skills, devotion to your t@b and patience for the time this took. WOW!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Outstanding workmanship!  Nice attention to detail at the wood frame for the ceiling fan.  You should be proud and very happy with the results.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    Please provide more info on that A/C unit.  Especially if you've used it during the summer months.
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Tabaz , The AC unit is called 'Zero Breeze 2'.  I tested it on a warm day this last fall - but have not tried it on a hot day in the sun.  It cooled the T@B down quickly as it puts out about 50* air, it is rated for about the sq. footage of our T@B 320's.
     Buy Zero Breeze Mark 2-The Zero Breeze Store
    The portable AC unit we had before would short cycle due to being oversized for the trailer, but did cool it very effectively, it was just large and took up space that had been countertop for the sink/stove.
    '04 DM T@B's did not come with any AC unit, the cool cats AC units appeared in '05 or '06.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited January 2021
    AMAZING craftsmanship!

@Geo, does the Zero Breeze require some sort of venting for a setup like this?

Edit: looks like the original had a single vent hose, and the Mark 2 has a dual vent hose setup. I bet those of us with pre-2020, non-Elwell Air8 Tab 320 units could make this work in the underbench storage, vented either through the side or the floor. Hmmm....I’d really like a part-time AC that could be easily removed during the shoulder seasons when it just isn’t ever needed in my neck of the woods, and being able to reclaim the wasted cabinet space of the Danby would be a plus.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I notice the Zero Breeze is from Australia, what did you need to convert it to US power?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    I notice the Zero Breeze is from Australia, what did you need to convert it to US power?
    They sell in the US as well, I’d be surprised if they didn’t include a US standard plug.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP, Yes this unit requires venting to work properly.
    @Mouseketab, It came with standard US 120VAC plug and the 24VDC transformer. I did not buy the battery pack as we mostly camp with shore power.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    It's beautiful Geo... can't wait to ( hopefully) see it in the spring...stay safe and well..love to Liz too!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    how has the Zero breeze worked at cooling the space for you? what kind of temps have you been camping in?
    @Tabnero, I only purchased it this past fall.  We tested it on a warm fall afternoon, the unit was putting out 50* air and cooled the warm interior very quickly.  Have not had it on a hot day in the sun to test it more fully.  It is rated for about the square footage of the 320, and with low ceiling and sloped roof line the cubic footage is less that would be expected when figuring square footage (IMO).

I can report back later this year when things warm up . . . 
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    @Geo, please let us know. I have been following that unit for a while now. I really think in the texas heat it would take 2 units to be comfortable

• DbarrasDbarras Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever replaced their power roof vent to ab A/C unit?  I have a 2007 Tab. The cover got broken somehow, and cant replace, but I think Id like to change to a/c. We mostly camp with hookups. Is there 110 power up there, or just the battery power?  Thanks
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2021
    Only a 12VDC battery circuit to power the fan.  Not sure the roof is rated to hold the weight of an AC either.  You can replace the fan with a new Fantastic fan or something similar...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @dbarras The roof cannot support the weight of an RV A/C unit. There are pics (either here or in one of the Facebook groups) showing a caved in roof that had to be replaced after the owners tried that. Better vent fans are available and easily retrofitted, my dealer swapped mine for a MaxxFan and I love it. If your 2007 doesn’t have a CoolCat, you might do best to look at a portable A/C, either the traditional household type (there are some smaller ones, I have a 45 lb one at home that would easily fit on a Tab bench) or one like Geo is using.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • DbarrasDbarras Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much. Thats what I wondered. Im bummed I cant replace the broken cover because fan still works, but cant find a replacement. Thanks again
    VictoriaP is correct - the roof will not support an A/C unit.  Saw one at T@Bazona a few years back.  It was not a pretty sight.  Also, only 12V to the factory ceiling fan.
    edited January 2021
    @Dbarras,  The vent cover should be replaceable.  We had a 31' fifth wheel years ago and I replaced all of the covers because of age deterioration. 
     ttps://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Fantastic-Vent/FVK1020-19.html
    search etrailer for the exact model replacement you might need.
    I replaced ours with a maxxfan and love it.
    MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan - Manual Lift - 4 Speed - Smoke MaxxAir RV Vents and Fans MA00-06401K (etrailer.com)
    You do have options. . .
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Dbarras said:
    Has anyone ever replaced their power roof vent to ab A/C unit?  I have a 2007 Tab. The cover got broken somehow, and cant replace, but I think Id like to change to a/c. We mostly camp with hookups. Is there 110 power up there, or just the battery power?  Thanks
    I think that it is possible to find replacement parts (I assume that it's a Fantastic Fan) but at this point it might be better to just drop in a better fan as suggested by others.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
     Actually there's a nuCamp T@B with a roof AC unit.  Some sort of support was added to the roof, and I believe it was done by the factory.  The T@B as owned by Ellen Zadoff.  The one with the sag issue was a Dutchmen and owned by Guther and Nancy Joslyn. 
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.