Options

Real world experience towing with a Tacoma feedback

Hi all,
New to the forum but looking for real world feedback from Tacoma owners who tow a T@b 400 Boondock. We have a 2020 Tacoma DCSB 6 speed manual and very much like the size and fit and finish of the 400 Boondock. I’ve read a bunch of posts on here and elsewhere but there’s conflicting feedback on the Tacoma’s towing ability with these trailers. We’re in Alberta so will be spending a lot of time towing in the mountains and we’re already at 3500 ft above sea level. Looking for any advice on towing setups and what kind of mpg folk typically get. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited February 2021
    8 mpg at approx 10,000’ with a 2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 towing a 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite. 11 to 14 mpg in the Midwest and taking the Southern I-10 route to Arizona.  

Three weeks later I traded for a 2019 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost.

While I was able to keep the RPM’s at 4500 or below, I was barely passing the semi’s going up that grade. I did not want to damage the Tacoma. 

The Tacoma actually paid for half of the F-150.

While all of Toyota’s specs said the Tacoma can tow up to 6500 lbs with 650 tongue weight, I would not do it again. I truly believe the difference in height between the Tacoma and the 400 is too great and the 400 is just like a wind block behind the Tacoma.

The Tacoma towed my 2014 T@B S Max (forerunner of the T@B 320) for 3 years with no problems.  

Edited to add that I did add Firestone airbags to the rear end due the the excessive squatting that Tacoma’s are known for. I had these added in the first year I owned the Tacoma after towing the T@b S Max. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited February 2021
    When asked what size travel trailer (RV) a 2010/2020 Tacoma truck could tow, Toyota responded, “ That's a general rule that can be applied to any towing vehicle. In the case of the Toyota Tacoma, the recommended maximum travel trailer weight should be no more than 3,400 to 3,740 lbs, fully loaded weight including gear and liquids.  Dec 31, 2020”. 

Towing an RV is more than the trailer weight, it also includes the wind drag created by the front area of the trailer, as measured in square feet.  So I agree with Verna, while the Tacoma will tow a TaB400, on paper, it is on the edge of being at its max towing limit.  An auto transmission will tow a greater load than the manual, so adding a manual transmission to the equation reduces towing capacity, as does the overall mass/weight of the tow vehicle, which ideally should be at least the same weight, or better yet, heavier than the trailer being towed.   
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Though it’s a 320 I towed with my 2019 Tacoma.  With a 6400 lb limit it obviously towed fine.  But to note, after I added my ARE Mx topper I picked up about 2-2.5 mpg when trailer is attached.  I’ve been putting toppers on my trucks since 1980.  These most recent number changes are consistent over the last 40 years, when towing a box.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    We live in South Eastern BC and tow our Tab 400 with our 6 speed auto Tacoma.  We are often in the mountains and on backroads.  Are we sometimes in the slow lane going up big hills (like Kootenay Pass)? Yes. Are we often passed by bigger turbo charged diesels pulling 28 foot trailers? Yes. But we have had no problems pulling the Tab with our Tacoma.   There are also plenty of other owners that pull their 400s with a Tacoma.  One thing we found helped was adding extra suspension on the back end.  We added another leaf spring to our Taco but others have gone with airbags or sumo springs, etc.  IMHO the Tab 400 and Tacoma is a wonderful pairing.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2021
    @Denny16, what's your reasoning regarding an auto tranny having better towing capacity?

I've always had the understanding that an auto transmission is less efficient than a manual, power lost in the fluid, and can overheat if not properly sized for the load.

No?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HuCampHuCamp Member Posts: 27
    Hi @KiwiYYC, I drive a 2020 Tacoma 6spd manual with a 2021 Tab 400 Boondock. Just returned from a weekend camp where I got around 11 mpg. Now granted, I'm in central Texas (elev 600') with nary a mountain in sight. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to swap experiences!

2021 T@b 400 Boonie
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4
  • Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    Weighing in again on this -- we tow a 2020 Tab 400 with a Tacoma SR, and while you can feel it back there we do just fine. Sumosprings ($200, easy to install) to prevent tail sag. We don't carry much equipment as we take short trips, max of a week.

Non-towing mileage with premium gas is about 26 mpg with it. While towing we get 15 in the lowlands and 13 in the hills.

If I were taking on the whole country in a months-long trip I would probably get something bigger. But for our style the Tacoma is great, and it's economical and useful when not trailering, which is most of the time.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    HuCampHuCamp Member Posts: 27
    Agree with @warbler_road! The Tacoma is *just enough* truck to do the job. If I'm not mistaken, @ColoradoSun also tows with a Tacoma and has some experience with the mountains!
    2021 T@b 400 Boonie
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4
  • Options
    KiwiYYCKiwiYYC Member Posts: 2
    Really appreciate all of these comments! Seems that the Tacoma will work but we’ll need to be careful with packing, especially given the payload of our Taco is only 945 lbs. One thing that I’m not that clear on is whether we would be better off with helper springs or with something like the Sumosprings. What are the advantages/disadvantages of those options for preventing sag in the Taco?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Firestone airbags can be ordered and installed with an air pressure gauge next to your left knee, making it easy to change the air pressure when you are not towing.  I am not a mechanics, so a truck accessory business installed mine for me. It did make a big difference, but not enough to keep towing the 400 with the Tacoma. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    Yeah, it was the low payload capacity that caused us to trade the Tacoma in on an F150.  Just remember that the payload number includes everything - even the weight of the fuel in the TV as well as passenger weight and gear and tongue weight.   So very easy to overload a Taco.
  • Options
    @ChanW  I do not have all the tech bits, but Look at the manufacturer’s towing specifications on most trucks, the auto tranny is higher rated.  An auto transmission uses a torque converter which delivers more power to the axle/wheels than a clutch disk can in a manual transmission.
    cheers
  • Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    KiwiYYC said:
    something like the Sumosprings. What are the advantages/disadvantages of those options for preventing sag in the Taco?
    I installed Sumosprings myself using a torque wrench and basically never thought much about them again. They are only compressed when the trailer is pushing down on them, and without the trailer I don't think of them. I got the black, 1,000-lb. ones.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2021
    Interesting. I'd like to know their rationale... Perhaps it's because the auto tranny costs more, thus is more profitable! 

Isn't an automatic transmission bound to give poorer fuel mileage?

A quick Google suggests that generally the manual tranny is more fuel efficient, but that the variety of gears that an automatic can provide allow it to be programmed to shift to the most efficient gear ratio.

But, it seems that the more shifting, the more power is wasted in between gears, being left as heat in the hydraulic fluid. 

I've always had a preference toward manual tranny for the reasons I said. It would figure that I've had it all wrong all these years.  :o
    Denny16 said:
    @ChanW  I do not have all the tech bits, but Look at the manufacturer’s towing specifications on most trucks, the auto tranny is higher rated.  An auto transmission uses a torque converter which delivers more power to the axle/wheels than a clutch disk can in a manual transmission.
    cheers

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I also preferred manual transmissions, most of my vehicles were autos.  I did have a Buck Wildcat with a hydro attic auto tranny, which would really get up and go.  But my first truck, a Nissan was manual in San Francisco, and I wore out a clutch in 18 months, due to all the hills.

When I decided to upgrade to a mid size truck, larger than the Nissan, I wanted a good tow vehicle, and all my research showed the auto tinny had a much higher tow rating, looking at the Colorado and Dodge Dakota.  I went with the Dakota and it’s max tow package (5500 lbs) was tied to an auto tranny.  This was a four speed and worked well.  

I always wanted a Jeep truck, and when they became available, I traded the Dakota in, and again the max tow package was tied to an 8-speed auto, which works much better than the Dakota 4-speed, and gets better mileage.  The computer control in today’s vehicles, can pick the best gear for speed and driving conditions to get the best mpg, much better than we can shifting a manual.  Even the biger 5 1/2 ton rigs I used to drive, had auto transmissions, which you could shift via push buttons, that was a strange experience, after driving manual trucks.
    cheers
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2021
    My experience towing the T@B 400 with our 2020 Tacoma is limited to 175 miles from Poncha Springs to Montrose in Colorado. I thought it was okay but I don't have a lot to compare it to. We are not planning on doing many long distance trips with the T@B. Most of our trips are less than 100 miles. Probably only 10% of the miles we put on the Tacoma will include towing the T@B.
    I was wondering why a Ford F150 with the same engine size as the Tacoma is able to tow a T@B 400 much better? I know towing capacity is not all about horsepower but when it comes to towing up steep mountain passes isn't that what makes the difference between cruising up at 55 versus 40mph?
    Just asking?

2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    kmulhkmulh Member Posts: 36
    I had a 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport and loved it, except while towing my 320.  The Tacoma has 278 hp and 265 ftlb of torque, which is adequate to tow the 320, however it's 6 speed transmission was constantly downshifting to keep speed on straightaways if there was a slight headwind while trying to maintain a speed of around 62.  I knew I was upgrading to a T@B 400 so decided to trade the Tacoma in for an F150 with the max tow package.  The F150 has a 3.5 liter v6, similar to the Tacoma, but it has twin turbos and is rated at 375 hp and 470 ft lb of torque.  The torque makes a huge difference for towing as does the 10 speed transmission in the F150.  My gas mileage while towing also increased by 2-5 mpg with the F150 and I can use cruise control without constant downshifts.  The 36 gallon fuel tank doesn't hurt either.  
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
  • Options
    The Ford F-150 also has more mass than the Tacoma, so it will maintain its speed more readily, and will be able to control a given size trailer, like a TaB 400, better.
    cheers
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    KiwiYYC said:
    Really appreciate all of these comments! Seems that the Tacoma will work but we’ll need to be careful with packing, especially given the payload of our Taco is only 945 lbs. One thing that I’m not that clear on is whether we would be better off with helper springs or with something like the Sumosprings. What are the advantages/disadvantages of those options for preventing sag in the Taco?
    I’ve had Airlifts on four different trucks, three being Tacoma’s.  They worked well.  There(inflated) when you need them, not (deflated) when you don’t.  My newest 2019 Tacoma I went with a 1.5 AAL- (add a leaf) to try something different.  Though a 1.5 lift, it only raised my rear about a half an inch unloaded.  This is because I have a ARE high rise topper, rubber bedmat and a tool box in the bed.  The ride is slightly stiffer than stock.  With the 320 Boondock hitched and loaded the truck rear did not drop.  Early summer for a family vacation I rented a Coachman Nano 187 from RvShare.  About 33-3700 lbs rolling.  This did drop the rear an inch or two.  But pulled fine with no WDH or sway control.
    My next Tacoma I’ll be going back to Airlifts.  I like the stock ride unloaded.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,012
    I owned nothing but Tacomas until last year and I towed a lot with them.  I live in Colorado and towed trailers from 1500 lbs up to 2800lbs all through the mountains here, up to over 12,000 feet.  It will do the job but will not excel at it with a 400.  You'll be slow up the high mountain passes and the revs will be high as well.   You'll also go through some brake pads quicker if you tow in the mountains a lot, even with the trailer brakes.   Last year I finally switched from Toyotas and got a Nissan Titan with the 5.6 V8 and it is night and day as far as towing.  Having the extra mass, larger and stronger components all around and just the massive increase in power makes towing so much easier and more comfortable.  However, like I said, the Tacoma will do the job but just know you will be slower and may be moved around a bit more in wind.  You will also want to give the rear suspension some extra support. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    TAOSMACTAOSMAC Member Posts: 27
    Purchased a 400 as well as a Tacoma TRD 4WD, automatic in May 2020. I towed approximately 7K miles in the Rocky Mountains and a trip to Minnesota last year. I averaged 9 to 12 MPG. Wind and climbing are a big factor effecting MPG. On steep climbs the Tacoma sounds like it’s screaming and overworking. When I had a day of towing with a tail wind I felt like I was having a good day.
    The Bottom Line:
    Tacoma is acceptable for short distance weekend tow/camping trips.
    Because the tank is relatively small you will need to start looking for gas between 180 and 220 miles If you live in an area with few gas stations you will have range anxiety.
    If your planning long trips like me, you should consider another tow vehicle.
    When I purchased my 400 and the Tacoma, I thought I had the perfect rig but I was wrong.
    In December 2020, I sold my Tacoma and purchased a RAM 1500 Diesel with 4 WD, air suspension and 33 gallon tank. I considered a Tundra but decided against it because the low posted MPG and high CO2 emissions. The RAM has much lower CO2 emissions and when not towing the MPG is rated at 29 highway. I haven't towed my 400 yet, but hopefully I will get much better MPG and won’t need to fill up the tank every 200 miles.
    2021 T@B 400BDL Solar, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel Diesel
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    TAOSMAC said:
    On steep climbs the Tacoma sounds like it’s screaming and overworking. 
       The Tacoma 6 cylinder motors deliver maximum horsepower beginning at 6,000 RPM. To many folks used to running between 3,500 and 4,500 RPM's pushing it over 6,000 seems may seem abusive but that is what the motor is designed for.
    A Taco towing a 400 in the mountains is getting a workout but arguably it is one that it should be able to sustain. The pre-2016 motors may be better suited. The Atkinson engines have not been well received.
  • Options
    justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
     WOW I hope others chime in I don`t know what to say! I hope I am not disappointed.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Just my 2 cents.

I'm towing a 320 with a 4 door 8 cylinder RAM, and I can feel it behind me, especially hitting holes/ruts and railroad crossings.

We just went to Disney from Tampa on I-4 (which has to be one of the worst roads for idiot drivers in the US) and traveling between 55 to 60 I got about 15.6 MPG.  Normally that trip without the T@B I can get 22 to 24 MPG staying around 58.

On the way home @ 56 MPH I got up to 18.3 MPG. Guess Tampa is downhill from Disney!  When I pushed the speed up to 60 the MPG started dropping and it went down to about 17.1

To each his/her own, but I wouldn't want to tow a 320 and especially a 400 with anything less than a full sized truck, van or Suburban type SUV.

Why take the risk of not being able to stop, accelerate if needed, and keep from killing an expensive TV.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have maintained since getting our 400 that I wouldn't want to be towing it with less than my full size Ram. Very stable, but even that I know when I am pulling a grade or heading into a stiff headwind.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite