Options

Why Not Wine - what’s your favorite?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Boondocking Coffee in the 400.

Comments

• Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I prefer Malbecs
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Red blend here. Italian wine Invetro by Renieri is my current favorite. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    We drink a local made Malbec and red Italian style wines, both from Mendocino county CA.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    Hey then lets not leave whiskey out of the discussion! I take a bottle of Tincup with me on every trip.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    A good gutsy Zin for campfire drinking. Maybe something from Anderson Valley, which has a great campground at Hendy Woods, FWIW. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Tabaz said:
    Why do we have Nine Pages of discussion about coffee but Zero Pages about wine.  Asking for a friend.
    Maybe it's because we don't have to actually make the wine (or whiskey) in camp...

Personally, I consider coffee, whiskey, and wine, the holy trinity of camp life!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Here, here! A fine WA state CabSav or Zin works for me! And I'll second the whiskey comment...a Lagavulin Distillers Edition 16yr is worth the price!  
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    Whatever the local wine we get at Harvest Hosts
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    webers3 said:
    Whatever the local wine we get at Harvest Hosts
    Best answer so far! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2021
    @Marceline we are trying to keep Henry Woods camp ground a local secret, but you are welcome anytime ;)   You can also camp at the Boonville Fair Grounds on Hwy 128.   
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    California bold cab savs - the best!  J.Lohr or Joel Gott.  Or for a cheap alternate that's close, Australian Yellow Tail's Big Bold Red is great too..  If all else fails though, I won't be picky - whatever's in my glass!
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    I too like bold CA cabs, but in the "value" category, try Aldi's Winking Owl cab. $2.95 around here (Wisconsin). At that price, you can start the evening with a nice Woodford Reserve bourbon!
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    I too like bold CA cabs, but in the "value" category, try Aldi's Winking Owl cab. $2.95 around here (Wisconsin). At that price, you can start the evening with a nice Woodford Reserve bourbon!
    Holy cow, $2.95?  Our tax-happy government over here means our cheapest wine is $8, and sadly - no Aldi's here.. I'll add it to my list of places to hit when we travel!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Denny16 said:
    @Marceline we are trying to keep Henry Woods camp ground a local secret, but you are welcome anytime ;)   You can also camp at the Boonville Fair Grounds on Hwy 128.   
    cheers
    @Denny16
    Spots open in March. Shall we have a meetup? 
    And more importantly - will there be a beer festival this year?  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Woodford Reserve - yum.  Careful or we will need to start a whiskey thread!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    Marceline said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers
    @Denny16
    Spots open in March. Shall we have a meetup? 
    And more importantly - will there be a beer festival this year?  
    I'm a homebrewer and would be happy to supply some barely-based beverages in the event of a fermented malt festival (assuming of course that the Covid issue has been neutralized).
    On the wine thing, my preference is a nice hearty Sicilian Nero d'Avola, decent bottles of which can be had for as little as $10. But I still prefer a neat chaser of Highland Park or The Balvenie.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    TomCanada said:
    Holy cow, $2.95?  Our tax-happy government over here means our cheapest wine is $8, and sadly - no Aldi's here.. I'll add it to my list of places to hit when we travel!
    I've not tried their white wines (Aldi), mostly drink reds, but other family members with less discriminating palates :blush: like them and they are all 2.95 (USD). I've tried the Merlot and not wild about it, but the Cab ain't bad with camp food!
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    CharlieRN said:
    I'm a homebrewer and would be happy to supply some barely-based beverages in the event of a fermented malt festival (assuming of course that the Covid issue has been neutralized).
    On the wine thing, my preference is a nice hearty Sicilian Nero d'Avola, decent bottles of which can be had for as little as $10. But I still prefer a neat chaser of Highland Park or The Balvenie.

The Boonville Beer Festival is in Boonville CA and normally takes place in late April/early May. It was cancelled last year but I sure hope it makes a comeback. It's a tremendous amount of fun - just organized enough to have enough porta-potties, entertainment, and such (on top of dozens of brewers) but not fancy or fussy. The town even runs shuttles from the lovely state park campground to the fairgrounds. Bring your pretzel necklace. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    We are pretty particular about our wine. While we can't afford high end wine, we try to pick wines in the $10-15 range that are really good tasting. (If you want a good app for picking out a wine, get Vivino, it is usually spot on.)
    Recently we picked up a box wine from Total Wine that is actually a good wine. Great taste, lacks a full body but for a box wine it is pretty good. It is a Total Wine label I think, called Big Sipper. Try it- it is surprisingly good! And for a camping trip it is perfect because it stays fresh in the box until you finish it. No storing half bottles.  
    mer
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Bartenuro Sweet Moscato :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio. 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    AirBoss said:
    And I'll second the whiskey comment...a Lagavulin Distillers Edition 16yr is worth the price!  
    Not to get too picky, Lagavulin is a whisky, not a whiskey. 
    A 1792 full proof is a nice campfire drink...available and delicious. Add water if you must.
    It's hard to beat a good Bordeaux, red or white and if you have a knack for it they are affordable as are the may of the wines from Spain. No one will like the wines from the Duoro region of Portugal. Just ask any Spaniard. ;)
  • Options
    tabiphile said:
    AirBoss said:
    And I'll second the whiskey comment...a Lagavulin Distillers Edition 16yr is worth the price!  
    Not to get too picky, Lagavulin is a whisky, not a whiskey. 
    A 1792 full proof is a nice campfire drink...available and delicious. Add water if you must.
    It's hard to beat a good Bordeaux, red or white and if you have a knack for it they are affordable as are the may of the wines from Spain. No one will like the wines from the Duoro region of Portugal. Just ask any Spaniard. ;)
    Indeed it is! Should have caught that one myself! 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    A couple bottles of Aldi’s Winking Owl is always on board.  Along with a box of the same in case the bumpy fire roads break our primary stash.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Ditto the Harvest Host comments.  We've generally had very good fortune or at least a lot of fun enjoying a flight finding out what was available. We like to stick to the wineries as my better half doesn't do beer.  We've also had some amazing food experiences as well at HH locations. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Anything red with a Bogle label or that of a nearby winery.  
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    All this talk about wine reminds me of my old hippy days (decades ago). Anybody remember Thunderbird, Ripple, and Boones Farm. Cheap wine and cheap buzz.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    @Lil_Lucy
    Oh yeah. Apple Jack, Strawberry Hill. Way back when used them instead of water in our...uh...er...certain device used for inhaling.  B)
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Says the one formerly known as "HairBoss"
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH