Options

A T@B 320-S or T@B 400? What's an average height couple to do?

Hi T@B Forum! I'm a tent camper from way back. Thinking of going T@B - and whatever I pick, it will be a Boondock. I like the T@B 320-S for its compact size and love the 400 for its dedicated bed area and the extra headroom. My partner is 5'10, I'm 5'5. We currently drive an MB SUV with a 7700lb GVWR, but I want to keep things as light as possible, to be kind to our vehicle and keep things light and flexible. Would love to hear from those who own or who have camped in either model on which of the two you would recommend for a first-timer. Either of them will feel super-luxe after decades in a tent! My most pressing issues: will my partner be able to stand up in the 320-S? And, is the extra 1000lbs in tow weight for the T@B 400 worth it? With current COVID-19 restrictions and low (no!) inventory at our local dealers it's really hard to find an actual trailer to check out. Thanks for any advice! 
CindyLoo from Waterloo...picking up my T@b 400 BD on April 21!

2023 T@B 400 BD I 2018 MB GLE 400

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited February 2021
    @CindyLovesCamping Your partner won't stand fully erect in a 320, it is 69" interior height. I'm a little over 6 feet and can 'pretty much' stand to dress or lean forward at the sink and stove. My 5'4" spouse sees no issues though.😊

The way I look at it, I never really stood up inside during our decades of tent camping either.

Are you planning on spending much of your time indoors? If so, a 400 would be more comfortable.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2021
    Hi Cindy,
    We were faced with the same decision, except that I am 6 feet tall and my partner is 6'-1".  Before purchasing our T@B, I had only camped in a small backpacking tent, so I was used to making do in a very limed space. My boyfriend preferred the 400, but it was too close to my Jeep's towing capacity, and I was the one who would be towing the camper (and I had never towed anything before).
    I fell in love with the little 320S Boondock at first sight, so this is what we ended up with. As a compromise, we also bought the PahaQue 10x16 tent addition. The 320S has a maximum interior height of 5'-9", so your partner will have to duck a bit ... we both have to duck a lot, but that has never been a big issue (after all, we had been caming in a tent with perhaps 4 feet of headroom, at the peak).  I bought a folding bar stool, which made cooking and cleaning up meals very comfortable. And the tent addition has 7 to 8 feet of headroom. I've always just considered our T@B to be a very comfortable hard-sided tent.  And it tows like a dream and can pretty much follow my Jeep anywhere.
    Our T@B has been the perfect first camper for us, but after 3 summers, we are ready to build our own custom camper van. So our little T@B is now for sale here (in case you want to pictures of it with the tent addition).
    I hope this helps a bit with your decision.  If you have any other questions about the 320S, as far as dimensions and such, just let me know. ~ Arwen
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    CindyLovesCampingCindyLovesCamping Member Posts: 11
    Thanks @CrabTab and @Arwen, I really appreciate your thoughts and experiences with the interior height issue! No, we don't plan to spend much time inside the trailer, except to sleep and possibly hang out if the weather is really bad. I don't plan to cook much inside either, I prefer to cook and wash up outside as well. We have a really great Coleman pavilion tent already, and you are correct, that provides an extra sheltered space where there is no lack of headroom!

I'm really glad to learn about your towing experiences as well. I want something as light and small as possible, while still offering the best amenities and flexible functionality for longer road trips. The 400 looks amazing, but I know the 320-S will be easier to manage, move around and store. 

Thanks again! I'd love to hear from those of you out there with a 400 - especially on how it handles and what you use to tow it. We have a MB 400 GLE but I am being very conservative about weight. We had a V6 vechicle previously that we used to tow a very small light tent-trailer, and we found even the 1900 lbs trailer seemed to tax the vehicle.

• Options
    ShadraxShadrax Member Posts: 22
    We have a 320 Outback, newer versions are Boondocks, and a MB Sprinter tow vehicle.  We wanted SMALL for ease of maneuvering, access to off-road camping, fitting in parking lots, etc..  We traveled for three months thru western US, Canada, and Alaska, including the Yukon and Dempster highway to the arctic circle, and then another trip thru the eastern US and Nova Scotia.  Love the trailer, but it is very small.  If you think of it as camping it’s great.  If you’re looking for a more extravagant RV experience then......  Several times we ended up in crowded parking lots overnight and envied those with larger accommodations.
    We are a very small couple with a medium size dog.  Most folks would not be happy with the size of the shower/wc or the ceiling height.  The tow vehicle might matter as well.  We essentially use the Sprinter van for cooking, eating, storage, and hanging out, and the trailer for sleeping and personal hygiene.  There are times we would have preferred a somewhat larger trailer.  Also the Sprinter gets 16 mpg towing the trailer and about 20 without, so this would likely be worse with a larger trailer.

• Options
    TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
    We chose the 400 BD. I love the looks of the 320. I think it's the better proportioned camper visually. The main deciders for us though were the fixed bed, the bathroom size, dedicated sitting area, holding tanks, headroom, and an overall feeling of spaciousness. 

When we travel we spend all day outdoors jeeping and hiking or doing anything interesting. We like being inside in a climate controlled and bug free environment at some point in the night. We both have our own area to sit and read a book or watch a movie or whatever you like to do. The bathroom is fantastic. It's really easy to take a shower in the 400 (I am 6' tall). Plenty of room to move around.

We are towing with a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon that from the factory was rated at 7000 lbs tow capacity. It does not have an overly powerful engine by any count. It does have a great 8 speed transmission at least. It has been very easy to pull the 400 around Florida. We will be taking it to Utah next month and see how it does with elevation changes, but I think it will do just fine. We use a weight distribution hitch (E2 currently) with anti-sway bars built in. We have not felt like we get knocked around by wind or semi trucks at all. 

Either camper can be a great choice! Coming from tent camping you are sure to find either one to be a luxury.
    Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    We also chose the 400 but did have to get a tow vehicle large enough to help us feel comfortable towing after many years of backpacking and only one time of pulling a tent trailer. We looked over this forum and found that towing the 400 falls into two basic types: Get a full size 1/2 ton capable truck or go with a mid size vehicle and tow closer to the weight rating of that smaller vehicle and manage the issues of sway and loading etc. As we were retired and not using the tow vehicle to commute, I felt we could take the gas mileage hit and we have been very pleased with how smoothly and securely the 400 tows with our truck. Plenty of power for climbing and no issues with wind gusts or instability with no sway control needed. On the size issue my wife felt that converting and un converting a bed every day of travel was too much, and after a day of travel we can just get in bed, plus we can bring along a grandkid to sleep inside (the others want to tent).
    Good luck with your decision but I think you will get good advice on this forum. Good folks all!

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @CindyLovesCamping, we are the owners of a 2017, the equivalent of a 320 S. We've got 44,000 to 45,000 miles on it, and much of this goes to what kind of camping you will be doing. With our t@b, we are extremely mobile. We can move long distances, 750 to 900 miles a day (@ approx 62/65 mph). Easy to just climb in and sleep, then move on. We can go into BLM and Forest Service areas and boondock comfortably. We have taken 6 and 8 weeks at a time to travel these great distances and the t@b in very conducive to this method. When we destination camp, go one place, stay for weeks in one location and and then return home, we use our other trailer, a 30 ft big boy at 10,000 lbs. I imagine the 400 will lend itself to a bit of both worlds. I used to be 5'6" and the husband was 6', but life and age have shrunken us a bit. I am now 5'4½ and the husband is now 5'10. He stands in the 320 in the center with his head slightly cocked. He showers sitting in the loo and manages just fine. The question  of which one is highly personal and subjective. The 320 S allows us to push it into out of the way locations, turn it to take advantage of special views or great campsites. To do that with  400 will be much more difficult. Power needs with that trailer will be greater too. Again, consider what you NEED or your INTENT and the answer will be easier to make. Good luck with this. Even the decision is part of the adventure! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    kbdigitiqekbdigitiqe Member Posts: 163
    We had a 2021 320s BD last season and camped ~45 nights in it all over the country as our quarantine pod. We loved it. But, it’s basically a fantastic “tent” with its own bathroom and when pushed by the weather it’s “fine” to make dinner and do dishes in, but not great. 

We are 5’9” and 5’3” and height was never an issue. 

We just traded in our 320 in for a 400 for this coming season season. 

Main reason, we got another dog .. and plan to stay out for longer durations than last season. 

What we’re looking forward to the most:

(and biggest peeve with the 320) is not having to reach a point in every evening where we have to suck it up and turn the living room into the bed. It’s a process and annoying and if the weather is bad there is just no space for the other person and dog(s) to be out of the way while the third person wrestles with the bed, table, bedding, etc. And then once it’s the bed, it’s just a bed with no more space really for anything else. 
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    If you go with a 320 I would avoid a clam shell. The sleeping area is a good bit smaller. Making it tuff for tall folks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We're first time camper owners, too, having only a tent background. Full disclosure--I absolutely hate tent camping, and would only consent to one favorite trip a year. We bought a 2018 T@B 400, pretty much on a whim. We love that my 6' husband can stand without ducking--the 320 would be a deal breaker for that alone. I like a dedicated dinette, and the bathroom/shower area is way better in the 400. There's more counter space for food prep or draining washed dishes, and there's loads of storage. The batteries are better, and I believe the water/wastewater tanks are bigger. With solar, an upgraded overhead fan, and a good battery monitor, the 400 can give you a good long weekend or more  of boondocking, even in partly shady conditions, with a minimum of conservation. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We have a 320.  I'm about 6 foot, wife is 5-6.  Only issues we have is the smallish bathroom (which we only use at night) since we have only camped at places with bathrooms.  Have not cooked in it, we cook outside under an awning attached to the keder rail.

We have set ours up as two twin beds.  I added a 6 inch extension to the width of each bed and we added a foam block against the wall and pushed the seat cushion out.

Put the god awful heavy table that came with it in the shed and bought a small lightweight folding table from Aldi.

Previous owners had already had made the bed slats mod and we tried using it with the queen bed set up and found that it was too much trouble getting up and out to use the bathroom (we're both 66 and not as spry/flexible as we used to be). Hence the twin set up.

We do take along a Clamshell type of screen room to hang out in, since we usually have two daughters and a granddaughter with us sleeping in a tent.

If you realize the size and storage constraints before you purchase a 320, you won't be disappointed.

The 320 is a huge upgrade from our Coleman 8 person tent.  

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited February 2021
    Not to hijack the thread, but have a related question. We will be picking up a 320S later this week. One of our thoughts was to leave the back rest of the dinette in the down position and make up the bed side to side only utilizing the back portion. The idea is to leave the bed setup full time in the back and still be able to use the table for two people. I'm 5' 11" and not sure if the width of the trailer would be comfortable?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Came from tent camping myself (but have owned other Class A and B's in past) but for me the extra roominess of the 400 was key. Permanent RV Queen bed and larger bath were strong selling points. I'm into a bit more creature-comforts nowadays. Rough and tumble mountaineering and backpack days are behind me. 

It's all a question of style. So to answer your question, yes. The extra 1000#'s of towing weight is worth it...to me. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    If you go with a 320 I would avoid a clam shell. The sleeping area is a good bit smaller. Making it tuff for tall folks.
    People should definitely know what they're getting into with a clamshell. I do have a giant size (well over 6') friend who likes the clamshell because the outside kitchen has headroom that the inside kitchen doesn't have. But he's come up with a way to extend the clamshell bed so that he can sleep fore-aft rather than wheel-to-wheel.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Thanks again to all who responded with your insightful experiences and advice! I'm so glad I found this forum. Our next step, once COVID-19 regulations permit, is to visit our local nuCamp dealer and "try on" both models for size. I'm really excited to check out the 2021 models when they arrive here in Canada. 

• Options
    Hey T@B Forum. Wanted to update everyone on our visit to Platinum RV in Erin, ON. We visited a couple weeks ago and were lucky enough to view both a 320s and a 400 - both boondock editions. This RV dealer says he does not bother to bring in anything but boondocks. The 400 was already sold (no surprise there) but the 320s was actually still available for sale - a miracle! Long story short, we did not buy the 320s as we were able to determine that we would both be more comfortable in the 400. My husband is 5' 9" and the top of his head was brushing the roof in the 320s. For myself, at 5' 4", the 320s would be perfect for me height-wise, and I absolutely loved it! However, the 400 it will be. Everything about it seemed just right for us and our MB 400 should tow it handily. Planning to put in my order soon, with expectation to take delivery next spring. Can't wait to hit the road in this tidy little rig! Thanks for all the great advice and insights. Happy camping.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    edited March 2021
    @CindyLovesCamping, what you saw are probably 2021 t@bs. The 2021 model year went into production approx July 2020. Following the sequence, the 2022 models will be produced from this July, forward. Years ago, the model year changeover happened even earlier. Our 2017 model was built in April 2016 and we took delivery on May 14, 2016. Just letting you know about the model year changover date so that you can make an informed decision if/when you decide to purchase. If you were to order a trailer now, you most likely would take delivery of a 2022 due to production backlogs.

I am assuming, of course, that product crosses the border, even if people don't. Good luck, enjoy and a wish that soon you'll be happy t@bbing! -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Ordered a T@B 400 Boondock last weekend at the Toronto RV and Camping Show last weekend - looking forward to picking it up at Platinum RV in Erin, Ontario next spring!!!

• Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130
    Sounds like a good choice for you.  I selected the 400 over the 320 for 3 reasons:  1 - I am 5'9" and could not stand up in the 320.  2 - I did not relish having to make/unmake the bed area each day and preferred the dedicated bed.  3 - when I lay down on the bed in the 320, my head was underneath a cabinet, an accident just waiting to happen.  There are many who love their 320, but I personallly am thrilled with my 400.

This forum is an invaluable source, particularly for new owners.  I spent that first winter reading through old posts and gleaned nuggets of helpful info along the way.  Congrats, and welcome to the family!
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2022
    We got our 400 over the 320 for the same reasons as Marlee.  Welcome aboard and happy, safe travels.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I'm 6' 2" and had a TaB 320 for about 4 months before I started looking for an upgrade.  I could not stand up to use the bathroom or galley and converting the bed was way too much work for me. It's a great little trailer, and understand why many like it, and that's great.  It just didn't work for me. Unfortunately, for many, moving to a TaB 400 or SOB requires a tow vehicle upgrade, including me. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 114
    We have a '17 CSS. We are both under 5'9". We too graduated out of tents to the 320. I really like it when it is raining and the wind is blowing. Perhaps what I like the most is the size and weight of the 320. We can store it at home, it is easy and stress free to tow, easy to park and small enough that you enjoy getting home. 
  • Options
    DNL2021DNL2021 Member Posts: 8
    My wife is 5.5' and I'm 5'10.5" and we have a 320 s. In our minds it's beautiful glorified hardshell tent. We love it and we were looking at the 400 but we ended up with the 320 because of the diversity of the living area.  With the 400, you are either in a bed (with a horrible claustrophobic slope on one side) or a weird dinette; so, when its hot outside and just want to be inside you are stuck with either of the two. We convert it to a living area most of the time during the day to watch tv/etc. It is a bit of a struggle to convert to a bed but we feel, we are camping so who cares. If we just want a bed, we leave it a bed. It's small and easy to tow. I can stand up in the front mostly with a slight tilt of the head and its not a problem in my mind. The 400 has a way better bath but I do my business and get out so that's also not a deal breaker. We never have cooked in our trailer besides warming up beans so I can't speak on cooking 4 course meals. I wish they made a 400 with the 320 plan...just a hair larger. Either way you choose, you are getting a good product. The attention to detail is way beyond what other manufacturers in the US are putting out. No partical board with gaudy pleather window valances with nucamp. You will sleep like a rock, a sleep white noise cocoon, shut the windows and the world goes away. You will get looks and smiles and the occasional "can I see the inside of your trailer" 
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We have had large trailers and small camper vans.  The Tabs are somewhere in-between, and that's where these two retirees wanted to be for extended travel and camping along the way.  We settled on a 2022 Tab 300 BD after months of comparing to the 400. Here's why.

The 400 is roughly 1 foot wider, 1 foot taller, 1,000 lbs more weight and $10,000 more money.  The 320 does well with a smaller tow vehicle (we use a 2021 Honda Ridgeline, about 16-17 mpg towing in decent conditions and 27 mpg when not towing), the 320 is an economical and extremely stable tow.

The bed and lounge are important to us.  We use the bed in the twin bed configuration, minimal fuss.  She doesn't have to crawl over me to use the bathroom at night.  It is spacious, and not confined.  No making up beds, its's a camper, we use sleeping bags.  With the back cushions pulled up, we can kick back for a comfortable, legs-up lounging position.  The dining table stays put (usually) and swings around for eating or snacks in the evening.  It's a great little room.

The back cabinets of the 320 are small storage, but you can to get used to sleeping near or under them without bumping your head.  The bath of the 320 is ridiculously tiny, but we spend little time there so it works.  We are not so tall as to be offended by the low roof, some people will be.  The 320 has very minimal storage, we put stuff in dedicated containers in our covered truck bed.  

There 320 is intentionally small, you either fit inside or you don't. Then get something else.

As mentioned above, a larger 320 (mostly the bath and a few more inches interior height) would be ideal, the 400 interior is beautiful and relatively spacious, but not functionally superior to the 320.  The Airstream Basecamp 16 is a larger 320, something we may consider down the road.  Right now Airstream and it's dealers are taking advantage of their customers by over-pricing.  But then so is NuCamp.

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I do not think AirStream nor nüCamp are over pricing their products.  You get what you pay for, and quality construction and equipment costs more.  The recent price increases are more to do with increased costs, inflation, and supply shortages (due to the Pandemic and shipping issues) than increasing the profit margin.  Also both companies upgraded their manufacturing facilities, which adds to their cost margin.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    We faced this same decision - T@B 320 vs 400 - when we were shopping for our first trailer last fall. We fell in love with and wanted the 400 - I am 6’2” - but in the end we bought the 320 because our tow vehicle would have been maxed out (no matter what anyone says, don’t go by max tow weight alone!), and we did not want to invest in a new tow vehicle too until we were sure we would like owning a trailer. I was very nervous I would be disappointed in the smaller T@B but…

We love our 320! After almost one first full season under our belts, I am very happy with our decision. Admittedly, at some point we may likely move up to the 400, but starting with a 320 was the best decision we made for us as first time campers. The biggest reason I love our 320 is it is so easy to tow. With full disclosure, I have messed up a few times - including a scary hitching incident. The 320 has been so forgiving for this first timer. And as I am still learning to backup, I have been able to back up my 320 in places that the 400 would have fit - but with far more stress. On a recent camping trip we had a neighbor back in with a 400 and it was definitely more effort for him to back it in then it was our 320. And I love how my 320 is the same length and width as our TV, so it tracks perfectly with our vehicle. If my TV can make it, my trailer can make it.

Is the 320 perfect? No, there are two compromises we made switching from the 400 to the 320. More interior height especially in the bathroom would certainly be nice. But this has turned out to be less of a compromise than expected as we spend more time out outside including cooking on our griddle/grill. We tend to use local shower facilities or “military baths” and use the bathroom mostly at night - which having one inside at night is in and of itself is awesome no matter the size!! The biggest compromise is the twice a day bed conversion, but we mitigated it some with twin beds so getting in / out is so much easier. And ironically the wedge bed in the 400 will be a step back in some ways as one of us will end up having to disturb the other to get up and out.

For now, the 320 has been a prefect first trailer to start with and discover what we like and don’t like in a trailer. We may end up eventually with a 400 - but we have also learned we would never want to go any bigger than a 400!  The convenience of towing and camping with a small trailer has definitely outweighed any compromise in interior space for us. So my recommendation is for someone starting out and not sure how they will camp - get started with a 320. If you have trailered before and are sure how you will camp, then the 400 will be great if you need the space. You can’t go wrong with either one.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    We solved the bed issue of crawling over a partner in the night.  One of us sleeps on the dinette bunk, so sort of a twin bed setup.  I tend to day up late and read, by wife goes to bed early, and so this works out nicely.  One can read, and the other sleep without disturbing each other.
     Cheers