Options

Anyone replaced their TV with a small wall cabinet? Show us your mod.

I'm not the type that watches movies or TV when out and about in my 2019 320s, so I've been thinking of pulling it and replacing it with something more useful, perhaps a medicine cabinet or shallow wall mounted rack. Love to see what y'all have done with this concept!

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,516
    One thing to consider - the Jensen radio has weather bands and this can be useful if you're in a remote location where you have have no other means of getting weather information (no cell or internet access).
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    dnodno Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2020
    @Marceline, I'm only interested in replacing the TV over the bench on the back of the shower wall, as shown here, not the Jensen head unit (which is over the sink). I still use the stereo for music and such (whenever the Bluetooth cooperates). Something shallow like a medicine cabinet is what I have in mind.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    I have thought about possibly taking out the television, too.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Removing the tv, the extending metal mounting arm and white plastic trim piece all looks pretty straightforward, and I guess I could have a small custom cabinet made, that's what I'm thinking at this point (since my woodshop skills aren't great).
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,516
    edited December 2020
    dno said:
    @Marceline, I'm only interested in replacing the TV over the bench on the back of the shower wall, as shown here, not the Jensen head unit (which is over the sink). I still use the stereo for music and such (whenever the Bluetooth cooperates). Something shallow like a medicine cabinet is what I have in mind.
    Oh, I see now. I forgot what it looks like in the newer T@Bs. I'm pretty sure that at least one person put a little cubby there but I can't find the picture or the thread. 

edit: This is what I've found so far. Any comment @ScottG ?

JENSEN TV MOUNT QUESTION - 2019 T@B 320 S (vanillacommunity.com) 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Yes, that photo in the link shows pretty much what I expect to find behind my tv. I'm thinking if those wood blocks are anchored well enough to the structure of the wall I could mount whatever I have made directly to them.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,546
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I LOVE that! I'd settle for that, though I'm still thinking a small cabinet with shelves inside the door would be ideal for me.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,485
    edited December 2020
    @dno, the wall itself is pretty sturdy (plywood facing with 2x framing) so I thin--in terms of strength, anyway--you could mound just about anything on or in the wall.

The biggest constraint might be space. My shelf/alcove is seems smaller in real life than it does in the photos. Unless you are willing to project past the window, a surface mounted cabinet will have very little useful depth once you factor in the door and back (which arguably could be eliminated). You could gain a little by recessing the cabinet, but would probably need to enlarge the existing cutout if you wanted the cabinet to have any significant dimension. I considered doing this but wanted to retain the option of returning the TV to its original location without major patchwork.

I guess it ultimately depends what you want to use the space for. Mine is essentially a landing zone for pesky small items such as wallet, keys, and phone. I eventually added a rail with hooks to increase its utility.

Here's another discussion on the topic--maybe @elbereth or @Kr@ken can weigh in with additional thoughts or suggestions. Please follow up with photos of whatever you end up installing there! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @dno, your challenge is just going to be depth.  If you look at the link to @ScottG’s project, there is wood crossing that space just behind the plastic tray you see behind your TV, so you basically can’t go further into the wall than that.  So like Scott said, you won’t have much depth - a useable cabinet with shelves will likely need to extend out from the wall.  I love the little tray shelf my husband made for me, in the thread Scott linked above - big enough for my kindle, my glasses, and a beverage when I read in bed and then go to sleep.  Note we have a CS-S so we sleep wheel-to-wheel, with my head right under that area - another reason we can’t have anything that protrudes enough to bang my head on when I wake up in the morning!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @elbereth, yes good point about the depth! I am the person who always finds a way to clonk his head on anything remotely possible to do so. Nice job on your husband's solution.
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    The biggest constraint might be space. My shelf/alcove is seems smaller in real life than it does in the photos. Unless you are willing to project past the window...

Indeed, the window edge would be the limit of depth. Your and @elbereth's shelf solution may be more functional in the end, but I'm going to explore the medicine cabinet style idea a bit further. Maybe something like a spice cabinet..?Either way, I'll definitely post whatever happens.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,485
    I think you could make that work. I suggest lips on the front of the shelves (or even angled shelves) to keep your items in place.

Also, be aware that the panel that allows access to the shower plumbing sticks out a bit from the wall. I had to notch my shelf a smidgeon to fit it around that. You would probably have to do something similar with your cabinet if you plan to extend it that far. In addition, the panel (unlike the wall) is not solid plywood so don't use that as an attachment point for anything!

I'm looking forward to your ultimate solution.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    So I finally got to this little project after searching online for something that would work without having to build it from scratch. I found this spice rack, cut it in half, installed a cleat in the opening and screwed the rack onto the cleat just under the top shelf. It's a little bit lighter in shade than the other cabinetry but otherwise almost looks stock. Much better use to me than the TV, and only sticks out 3.25 inches from the wall. 
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @dno looks great!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota