Options

Tune up questions

Hi- I just hooked up my beloved 2012 T@B L (no bathroom, just outdoor shower) and will be delivering it in the morning to a local T@B dealer, just a few handy miles down the road from my home in Green Bay.  They will be doing a (20-point?) check up and will let me know by the end of the day of an estimate for any repairs.  My camper is still in fantastic shape, but I’ve never had the surge breaks inspected, and they will be doing that. The gentleman in the shop did mention that if the surge brakes are not very good, I may want to consider replacing with electric, as it would end up being cheaper in the long run. Has anyone done this? I’m not afraid to switch out if it would be the wiser thing to do.  I also probably should have the wheel bearings looked at, etc.  I am just now beginning to drive a 2020 Honda Passport with a brand new towing package, including the transmission cooler addition, hopefully providing 5,000lbs of easy towing.  I am trying to come up with a list of possible updates that may be done while in the shop this next week, but I waited until the last minute.  If any of you have any particular points to check that may not be standard, I would appreciate any suggestions.  So far, all I can come up with as a nice convenience would be a master on/off switch for the battery and maybe even switching to the two-battery set-up everyone raves about.  My spare is still under the back and I have never sealed any seams.  I would like to flip the window shades for privacy.  I have a few sap drips I would like to remove, but mostly, I just want to keep this great little home-on-wheels going a long time.  Thanks for any advice! - Sharon 
2012 T@B L, 2020 Honda Passport Touring

Comments

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Following... interested to know how the surge brakes inspection goes. Mine is a 2014 also with 'original' surge brakes, although I suspect they were "checked" by the dealer who recently sold me the trailer, 2nd hand.
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    From what I have heard, you should hang onto your surge brakes.  I think someone indicated that changing to electric brakes was not an option.  I know you don’t have an Alde, so maybe have them check the furnace.  Do you have a water heater?  

When were the tires last changed and balanced?  Any rust on the frame?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2021
    Converting to electric brakes would require new wheel/drum assemblies and an electric brake controller on your TV.  With the original surge brakes, they are simple, and most parts should be available.  A surge brake is a basic hydraulic brake unit, master cylinder at the hitch, and brake cylinders on the wheels.  Worst case would be replacing cylinders and brake lines, which are standard hydraulic lines, that should easy to get. 

I went through an old Alde GT Coupe, and replaced all the brake bits, including cylinders and liens.  The hard part was getting air out of the system (bleeding the hydraulic lines).

The big advantage to surge brakes, is you can use any adequate TV to tow the trailer, no electronic brake controller is required.  On the down side, going down a good size hill, will result in the trailer pushing against thenTV, and possibly applying the brake trailer, which could help control the trailer.  But be careful and brake overheating can occur in this situation on a long grade.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    Personally I prefer the surge brakes and I don't see how swapping to electric saves you money, even over a few years. You would have the cost of switching the trailer brakes and then you'd need to install a controller in your tow vehicle for another few hundred dollars. I would focus on properly maintaining the surge brakes. If you 've never repacked the wheel bearings you need that done. If you've never bought new tires you should do that. I would definitely get the battery cut-off switch installed and maybe an SAE port for a portable solar panel + controller. You should have all the caulking checked and fixed where needed. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    edited March 2021
    I have had surge brakes on boat trailers for 20 years.  They work well and are easy to maintain.  For reference these trailers and boats total 5,500 and now 7,000 pounds.  The trailers are dual axle, so 4 brakes.  The do stop when asked....
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I agree, stick with the surge breaks and if the pads need replacing go with that as the electric conversion and change out for electric brakes will be expensive.  A wheel bearing inspection and repacking is a must and if the bearings are worn get them replaced.  And as noted earlier have them inspect the caulking on the trailer, around the vents and windows, wheel wells, etc.  Make sure you’ve got good tires too and you can always take your trailer over to the local tire shop for replacements, just don’t let them put a hydraulic Jack under the axle as it could cause damage.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    luv2travelluv2travel Member Posts: 50
    Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions!  
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    If you need new tires look for Goodyear Endurance, they are great.  Cost a little more but if you protect them while storing they will last longer.

The Endurance is Goodyear's special purpose trailer tire developed specifically for use on travel trailers, pop-up campers, boat trailers, toy haulers and fifth wheels. Endurance trailer tires are designed with durability in mind to help make towing a trailer less stressful by reducing impact-related failures experienced during use.

Special purpose trailer tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.

Endurance trailer tires feature a rounded profile to help cushion the trailer's ride, and the symmetric tread design with closely spaced ribs provide constant rubber-to-road contact for straight tracking, dependable highway stability and long-lasting wear. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts with a two-ply nylon reinforcement to stabilize the tread, increasing traction and durability. The Endurance features a polyester cord body to help smooth out the trailer's ride, and a scuff guard is molded into the sidewall to further increase durability by resisting damage from contact with curbs during parking lot maneuvers.

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Endurance are excellent tires.  I have used them on boat trailers and am very impressed.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @luv2travel, X 3 about the Goodyear Endurance tires. Put them on our t@b in 2018 and have about 35,000 miles on them. They look virtually new, our trailer guy has asked how how we are keeping them that way. We just keep them properly inflated, not doing anything else. Worth the price, and the peace if mind.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, one more vote for your hydraulic brakes.

Not expensive, unless the expense he's talking about is that you have the early European style Tab hydraulic system, which might be hard to get parts for.

The hydraulic system is simple and effective. It brakes variably, according to the need (when properly adjusted). Depending on the miles you have on them, they may not need replacing. You might just need to have the mechanic adjust yours. It's not difficult.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2021
    Parts for the DM Euro style TaB surge brakes and LG US surge brakes are available, check with nüCamp Customer  Service.  There was a discussion on parts availability here last year I believe.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    She has a Little Guy 2012 so, I think they are the US surge brakes - not the original DM surge brakes.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Update- received a call from the shop yesterday with some estimates.  They are going to perform general 20-point(?) inspection, repack the wheel bearings, install battery cutoff switch, repair a leaking hose and faulty gauge in the gas line, reseal around the roof side of ceiling fan and other roof spots, and lube the front hitch.  The surge breaks look great- yahoo!  About $600 total. 
  • Options
    FYI- nothing needed to be done to surge brakes😁
  • Options
    Plus will get fan inside compartment next to fridge to keep counter cool. 
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited March 2021
    Thanks @luv2travel - I'll be getting an estimate soon as well. Wheel bearings and brakes are on my "must do" list.  I'm glad to hear your surge brakes are solid. Gives me a bit more confidence that mine (2014) are probably ok as well. My wheel bearings are definitely overdue though...
    Does your estimate include getting the undercarriage seals around the wheel wells, etc. redone? 
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    I don’t think so, but I think I should call them again tomorrow.  Hopefully, they just found nothing wrong on inspection 🤞