My installation of the EMS-LCHW30 in a 2018 CS-S

I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 in my 2018 clamshell today. It was quite easy. All you need to do is strip some wires (careful not to nick conductors), and turn some screws. I was pleased that I didn't have to put in any extra wire. I cut the existing orange wire from the exterior power plug to the converter and there was just enough slack in the wire to do the install. My choice of mounting location was key to making this possible. See photos. The unit is screwed in with only three screws, but that's plenty. The screw on the right side goes into a super thin fascia, so I used a drywall anchor, which seems secure enough. Hope this helps someone.

Comments

• SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    edited March 2021
    That's a nicer install than in our 2019 CS-S!  There wasn't enough slack in the existing orange wire to mount it as you did.  Our is mounted above the black power center shown on the right in your first photo.  You did a great job!
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for posting this. I also plan to install the EMS-LCHW30 and even if the layout in our '21 T@B 320 BD isn't exactly the same as in your CS-S, the photos are still helpful. One question: Does the EMS come with all of the hardware, such as the Romex connectors shown in your photo?
    We've been waiting since last August and are hopeful that our BD will be here in the next few weeks. I will have a lot of work to do when it finally arrives.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I installed this same unit over a year ago. Had two issues. One, the display fell down into the unit due to vibration in the trailer. Fixed with a small piece of foam under it. Been fine since. Second, Will not work if a portable generator is used to power the trailer. Most portables have a “floating ground” that does not work with these. Simple fix available on the search engines, but a pain to find out in the field far away from a hardware store.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • MauiBenMauiBen Member Posts: 16
    @CharlieRN, yes all the hardware is included. 

@Tabaz, thanks for the tips. I knew about the generator thing, but I probably won't be doing that. I'll see about supporting the display so it doesn't fall out! 
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    edited March 2021
    @MauiBen - a very tidy installation!  But how easy is it to see that display if something goes wrong?  The EMS-HW30 is an identical unit, except the display is remote:
    The display shows sequentially the line voltage, the current drawn by the trailer, the line frequency (should be 60H) and more importantly any error codes:
    E 0 - Normal Operating Condition
    E 1 - Reverse Polarity (hot and neutral wires reversed)
    E 2 - Open Ground (no ground wire connection)
    E 3 - Line 1 High Voltage (line voltage above 132V)
    E 4 - Line 1 Low Voltage (line voltage below 104V)
    E 7 - Line Frequency High (line frequency above 69Hz)
    E 8 - Line Frequency Low (line frequency below 51Hz)
    E 9 - Data Link Down (call technical support)
    E 10 - Replace Surge Protector Module (call Progressive Industries Tech Support)
    If you're not getting power to your trailer, you'll need to be able to see these codes.
    So, for others considering this excellent addition, look at the EMS-HW30 too.  Word of warning, though:  the display on these devices is really bright, and you wouldn't want them visible all the time.  We hid ours in the back of our closet.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    I installed mine in our 400 in the storage area with the outside hatch behind the axle (both the box and display).  It is easy to get access to see the display when needed of check out the inside of the box.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
    @rh5555 if I'm not getting power after plugging in, I'll simply lift the bench seat and look at the error code. I don't expect that to be very often, so I don't need it to be easily accessible. I read that the display glows very brightly at night, so I didn't want the one with the remote display keeping me up at night. 
  • William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2021
    I just bought one of these and plan to install it soon on my ‘21 BD TaB. I bought the kind without the external display. My question is this. Will the unit still allow power through the unit itself if there are any error codes at all? The reason I ask is because I watched an installation video of the model with the external display, and it has a bypass switch. In that case, the installer made the remark that once a person plugs into shore power, that individual could use the bypass switch if any error codes are displayed if they chose to do so. But on the model without the external display, there seems to be no bypass switch. Thoughts?
    edited March 2021
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    When would you bypass the EMS?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2021
    If you were running a generator with a floating neutral and no way to mitigate it.
    IIRC, the EMS-LCHW30 can be bypassed using a jumper on the circuit board. Not as convenient as the model with the external display, but still better than nothing.
  • William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    Sharon_is_Sam, I suspect some people might use shore power if the error code were E2 (open ground). For all other error codes, I definitely would not use shore power. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Hmmm.  I guess I would notify the campground office and see if it can be repaired.  Or ask for another campsite.  Thanks.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I installed the unit with the remote display purposely so that I can bypass when using my generator. I don't want to have to plug a second plug in that has a jumper between the ground and neutral every time I use it or teach my wife that it has to be done that way. I installed the remote display by the bypass valve for the water heater on our 2020 400 BDL.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC