Options

2021 Tab External TV Antenna

2021 Tab 320S external tv question. Using the jacks in the Nautilus system I have tried hooking my external antenna into the Aux and selecting Air on the TV Auto Channel Scan and no chanels are found.  I have search on the TV Cable and no chanels are found.  I tried hooking my external antenna to the Cable and to Sat and still nothing.  This was a simple thing with my 2017 tag using my external antenna.

Would somebody out there who has a 2021 tab 320s and is successfully using an external antenna tell me how you have done it.  Nothing I do finds channels when using an external antenna.  PS:. I am close to tv signals sitting in my driveway in a large city.

Comments

• Options
    CccjimCccjim Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2020
    Oh my goodness, I solved my own problem.

Can you believe underneath the seat in the 2021 tab 320S they hooked a solitary cable from the Cable jack straight to the TV. If you want to use an external antenna, you have to disconnect coaxial cable underneath the seat and screw it into the Aux jack underneath the seat.  I am curious. Why wouldn't nüCamp put a Y connection here so that all the external jacks Aux, Cable and Sat on the Nautilus system work on the outside without having to climb under the seat and connect the TV cable to the right one?  Am I missing something on this?
    Attached is a photo of the connections under the seat that has just one cable going from a single jack to the TV.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    If you put a Y splitter on a coax line, and you do not terminate the unused connection (75-ohm termination plug) you reduce the signal going to the TV.  All three connections are F-Jacks so just connect the TV antenna or the ext Cable connection to the one F Connector (Cable) that is connected to the TV   You would not normally have both an antenna and cable connected at the same time.

The TaB does not have a Satellite receiver, so the Sat connection is not used, but is there if you want to add a Sat system to the trailer.  The Nautilus system is a thrived party unit used in different trailers and RVs, not a nüCamp exclusive.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    We used an external antenna the other night...hubby hooked it up to the "cable" and the jensen tv to "air"...after a search/scan channels we got 2... Yippee tv in the driveway!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @Cccjim
    Just hook up the external antenna directly to the 'Cable' connection on the outside of the camper in the Nautilus control panel.
    No need to move the connection on the backside of the Nautilus...The label 'Cable' doesn't prevent you from using that as an external antenna connection. No need to move the cable to the 'Aux' position.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know if the external antenna for the radio can be rewired to be used for the Jensen TV? If so, I wonder what the range would be. (Tab 320S BD - 2021).
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    Not likely, as the radio antenna is set for AM/FM radio frequencies, and makes a poor TV antenna.  The cable from the radio antenna is routed directly the Jenson system.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    Check out this from a year ago when I asked about the same thing. Lots of great info that served me well. Be sure to read the post by @Verna about half down. It's the greatest. And we bought what she bought; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QK7HI8 and we do just toss on the roof or clamp it on the rack on our Boondock.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Cccjim, I believe this is the link that @andyboy is referring to, so I am posting it for you or others who are interested in the TV antenna discussion:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11466/tv-antenna#latest
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    William_KeeverWilliam_Keever Member Posts: 37
    @andyboy, That's a great idea. Thanks.
  • Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    edited March 2021
    @Bayliss. Thanks for making it whole by adding the link!
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    There was more to the antenna story.  Question: are Staples or Office Depot paper clips better for TV reception?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi