Options

New Alde Service Location - Vancouver Island, BC (updated)

Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
Updated: there is a new Alde service location on Vancouver Island, that I suspect will soon be added to the official list. They have the correct pump/device to fully drain, flush and refill the Alde with the newly recommended Rhomar heat transfer fluid. They are a week or two away from launching the service and already have a wait list of customers, including me :)

Here is the contact information:
Sunwest Service Centre, Courtenay, BC, Canada
250-338-5344

----
original post:
Today I learned the official Alde 'service location' website does not list every location that performs Alde servicing. This is a huge relief because I thought I was going to need to take my T@B off Vancouver Island, which would cost an additional $350 in ferry trips. So I checked with a local NuCamp dealer and finally found a somewhere that performs Alde servicing on Vancouver Island. I'm so excited to finally have my Alde properly serviced for the first time since it was installed by NuCamp in 2013. I hear the Alde is used in some Airstream trailers. So perhaps Airstream dealers also perform the servicing?

What are the current thoughts on using the newer Rohmar/Rhoguard heat transfer fluid vs Century TF-1? My current plan is that if the service center cannot source Century TF-1, I will order it myself and bring it with me.
2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    At this point I would source the Rhomar and the Century fluid.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Switching to Rhomar is going to require an additional flush out of your system, and may increase the labor cost.  Thst said, it will offer better protection for yiur Alde system in the long run.  We plan to switch at our next service next year.
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    There is a central Florida truma tech and they want 320 plus tax to drain and fill.  Is this price fair to you folks?
  • Options
    Is there more to Alde servicing than drain/flush/refill? Are there any additional checks they perform?
  • Options
    Lawyerboy said:
    There is a central Florida truma tech and they want 320 plus tax to drain and fill.  Is this price fair to you folks?
    There are a few posts about performing a full drain yourself using a standard wet/dry vac inserted in the fill reservoir. I suppose there'd be no harm done in trying.
  • Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    Hey, if you can change your fridge thermostat, you can change your fluid. Under the drivers side bench, drain the system into a big dishpan under the trailer. Take a shop vac and suck out the remaining fluid with a rubber hose necked down to a piece of 1/2” copper. You’ll get about 1 7/8 gallons. Replace with new fluid. It’s not a big job at all. Don’t be afraid to tackle it.
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Conversely, I have found some locations listed can't even say Alde, let alone know how to service one.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    If you do this yourself Mellow Yellow, if your are switching to the Rhomar fluid, you need to fill the Alde with distilled water (takes about liters) run the Alde with the circulation pump set high, then drain, vac out any remaining water, then fill with the system with the new Rhomar fluid.  You need to completely drain, and flush out the old Century fluid.
    cheers
  • Options
    LawyerboyLawyerboy Member Posts: 98
    Thanks everyone.  At that price I figured I would give it a go. Morning and fridge is working. 
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Lawyerboy. That's a whole lot better than the $800-900 or $650 quotes I got from two places near Denver-- still awaiting the phone call I was supposedly going to get from Windish in Longmont- I would say $350 is much more reasonable!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Pintoplumber. Are you talking about putting a copper tubing up into the drain hole on the underside of the trailer?  How would you step down from the shop vac hose to a piece of copper tubing?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited June 2021
    @Mellow_Yellow The letter NuCamp posted on their FB page on June 9th stops short of clearly telling owners to switch to Rhomar, but reading between the lines, they are saying just that. In fact, it’s a skill to craft that letter that way without overtly saying it.  (The letter even says that Truma/Alde will be onsite at uCamp to service campers, that the factory can perform the service, that Truma has a mobile service unit, and to call nuCamp for assistance locating a servicing dealer.)

Following the letter’s advice, it would appear they want you to make the switch at your upcoming 2 year service interval.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited June 2021
    Lawyerboy said:
    @Lawyerboy Yes, that’s a good price based on what nuCamp charged me for the service 9 days ago, and in the ballpark.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! For this round, since I'm going to switch over to Rhomar, I'll go with the full servicing through the service location I found that is experienced with Alde. Perhaps in the future, I'll play around with the Shop Vac. 
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Conversely, I have found some locations listed can't even say Alde, let alone know how to service one.
    Maybe they think you mean ALDI the grocery store!  :)
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    PintoplumberPintoplumber Member Posts: 168
    @Ikc001 The tank on a CS S behind the toilet is where I put the shop vac hose to suck out the remaining fluid. 
    2016 320 CS-S  1954 Ford F100  2017 Chevy suburban 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    Has anyone sourced the Rhomar fluid?  Or is it still "unobtainium?"
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    You can buy it from nüCamp through a dealer, or from a Rhomar dealer (normally plumbing supply/hydronic heating equipment companies.
    cheers