Tire Pressure Monitor System suggestions?

I'm interested in getting a really easy-to-install tire pressure monitoring system to add a bit more piece of mind while on the road. I start every trip doing a manual pressure check, but, well things happen while traveling.
I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't find anything really current unless I'm totally missing it.
2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Any that have sensors that screw onto valve stems are pretty easy DIY systems. I use the long time brand of TST, I believe it is the TST 507. Check out TechnoRv.com. they sell that one and another brand too so you can compare.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    I installed this on my 400 in March and have absolutely loved it. It comes with an extender for the wireless system (that has to be hardwired), but for the distance needed with the 400, the extender isn't needed to get the signal from the tire stem monitors to the display panel on your dash/windshield. Not needing the extender makes this completely wireless, and takes about 2 minutes to fully install. It works perfectly and has given me a huge peace of mind to be able to see in real-time the pressure and temperature of each tire...with built in alarms for fast and slow deflation warnings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797LQ44K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for info @ChrisFix. I had been looking at this one but the extender threw up a red flag only because we use two different tow vehicles. I wasn't thinking it wasn't really necessary but thank you for confirming!
    I was also looking at this one that works with a smartphone via bluetooth. While developed primarily for bikes, would certainly work with t@bs: two tires just sideways.

2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    andyboy said:
    Thanks for info @ChrisFix. I had been looking at this one but the extender threw up a red flag only because we use two different tow vehicles. I wasn't thinking it wasn't really necessary but thank you for confirming!
    I was also looking at this one that works with a smartphone via bluetooth. While developed primarily for bikes, would certainly work with t@bs: two tires just sideways.

I've found no instance where range has been an issue with my setup. I affixed the monitor to the upper left corner of my windshield, where the solar/lithium battery seems to be completely happy and keeps it charged without issue.
    I personally prefer the dedicated monitor vs a cellphone app, just because the monitor is always there, which I think encourages actually using it more frequently, and I don't have to fuss with anything while driving, but that is a choice you can make.
    Good luck with whatever setup you get. I do think you'll enjoy having the tire pressure info available while traveling down the road.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    Any recommendations for systems that will work across my Tab and boat trailer. The boat tires get wet, submerged, when launching and retrieving.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
    @dlb probably internal would be best, but the TST valve stem sensors are supposed to be waterproof, however at least one of mine did leak. They have an boring seal that can apparently fail.
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    @N7SHG_Ham, Thanks
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • DanWeitzelDanWeitzel Member Posts: 57
    Resurrecting this thread.  I am interested in adding a TSP monitoring system to my 320.  I have heard concerns of the TSP sensor causing failures of the rubber valve stem due to the added weight of the sensor & centrifugal forces.  Has anyone experienced this?  Any recommendations on TSP systems?
    2016 T@B 320 Qmax, 2020 KIA Sorento, The Woodlands, TX
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    I researched and considered a TPS unit for my 320S.
    In the end decided it was not cost effective.
    There are no (that I could find) single axle products in-the-market.
    Then there is the real-world fact that in N.A at least road hazard flats are few and far between.

So I used the TPS money for a trailer upgrade/mod that better fit my needs.

I do check my tire pressure & condition before every outing and always do a walk-around visual check at every stop.  Heck that was 100% fine in 1980, 1970, 1960 and gosh it still works in 2022.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    I bought the TireMinder Solar powered TPMS with four caps (and just use two of them). Search Amazon and you'll see they also offer a two cap system. I've been using it since 2019 and it gives me great peace of mind. It shows tire pressure and tire temp. I did not install the relay piece they tell you to use and no problems with reception. Last year, however, I added a platform, replaced the plastic tub with the new '21 aluminum version and two side aluminum storage bins and had problems with losing the connection. Also, I replaced the rubber valve stems with metal/copper looking stems. Discount tire did this for me when I bought the Good Year Endurance tires. The TireMinder website has a good Q&A section I read through.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @dsfdogs can you put one of the unused sensors on the spare?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

I use the TST system on both my pickup and Tab 400, metal valve stems on truck, rubber on Tab and have not experienced any issues with either. If concerned, you could always replace the rubber valve stems with metal, however I have not experienced any issues in three years and thousands of miles.
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @JeffroNC I could put one on the spare, but don't see the point. I ensure it's aired up before a trip. If I had to use it, I'd take the one off the flat tire.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    I bought this one from Tymate and easy to fit. One on each caravan tire including the spare and one on the car spare. It encourages me to watch the spare tires - including the car as those donuts lose pressure. I like the temperature measurement aspect also.

One drawback is to top up a tire with air you need to take the TPMS system sensor off - perhaps obvious as I write it but I did not think of it at the time and it takes a small amount of time to get the little spanner, undo the lock nut and remove the sensor to top up compared to just a dust cap. 

Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System M7-3 - Solar Charge, 5 Alarm Modes, Auto Backlight LCD Display, Auto Sleep Mode, 4 TPMS Sensors (0-87 PSI)

I probably would agree with @MuttonChops overall after I have many years towing under my belt, but not there yet and need @d@dsfdogs peace of mind at this time in our life's T@B journey.
    2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I bought a GUTA from Amazon; they had a daily deal for $115.00 with 4 sensors and up to 188 PSI. Also monitors temp, easy to set up, solar charging etc. I haven't traveled with it yet, but will in the next few days and will be able to report back on how well it works or not.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Many years of towing we never used TPMS on our trailers.  Well, tried it once.  False signals, flops all over the place with rubber valve stems to weaken stem, and one started a slow air leak.  The ones we had and maybe all do not provide constant monitoring, they have intervals.  So if you have a sudden blowout, it will not warn you until the next interval.  Blowouts shred tires quickly at speed.  

I decided not to use TPMS, better to keep premium tires installed with metal valve stems, and monitor them for heat (put your hand on them and bearing caps) and visual air loss at fuel stops.  Tires have maximum speed and load rating written on the sidewall.  Never had a blowout or flat on single or double axle trailers.

Doug K
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I made my initial trip with the GUTA Brand of TPMS that I mentioned in an earlier post. Simple to set up, and it works exactly like I would expect a TPMS to work.

• Appears to update every 8 to 10 seconds (which is no different than a vehicle equipped with TPMS)
    • Displays temperature 
    • Can handle up to 188 PSI
    • Programmable alerts for both Low & High PSI and Low & High Temperature
    • The unit I bought came with 4 sensors, but can support up to 8
    I too have towed many trailers for many miles and never have had a tire issue, but I am somewhat OCD about watching tire PSI, treadwear. and just touching things when I stop to check to see if the temperatures are even.

So, with all of that being said why spend the money? I did it for added peace of mind.

As most are aware, generally blowouts are caused by tires overheating due to low psi. I decided for the cost, that being able to see if a tire was going down while traveling was worth the peace of mind for me. If this allows me to see the psi dropping if I were to pick up something on road, being able to catch it before it is flat, or worse overheats and pops is well worth the $115.00 I spent.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC