What Goes Where...The Dry Goods Dilemma

AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
First trip out since my Southern Sojourne back in Oct - Nov 2021. After the double knee replacement in March I didn't want to push it too hard. 

So spent five days with full hook ups at Bonneli Bluffs RV Resort in San Dimas, CA, just below the San Gabriel Mountains. Nice park, huge spaces, etc. 

Question:
Those with a model like mine (see below), what do you store in cubby above the TV, what goes in the three-drawers below the stove and what goes in the large drawer below the 3-way fridge. I got back home to and gutted all three spaces and started anew. I'm leaning towards plates, bowls, red solos, and similar items above the TV; kitchen stuff in the top drawer (towels, fire sticks, spices, etc), canned and dry goods in second drawer; and the bottom is the "Glad" drawer...you know...sandwich and freezer bags, foil, Saran wrap and a small sealed tub containing things that make you go, "Oh, Yeah. Glad I found it!" 

Drawer under 3-way now will be folding clothes, socks, maybe a beach towel or two. 

I was amazed at what I pulled out of these drawers today...I'm off to the food bank with a small gold mine!

In any event, thoughts? What's your system? What works for you? 

Sure felt good to get out for five days. Missed it more than I realized.  =)B)  
2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited July 2021
    AirBoss, I have learned the hard way (don’t ask) to pack light stuff in upper cabinets/cubbies and heavy stuff in lower lockers.  The small shelf above the TV monitor is good for dry goods, like rice, pasta, noodle bowls, and dry soup mix packets.  They are all fairly light and easy to get to.  

Tea and Coffee goes well here also.  I have marine (plastic) dishes/bowls etc in the over the sink cabinet, also got with dish towels to pack them in with.  Over the stove, more light galley stuff, camping cups (metal), and pop-up silicone kitchen stuff, like drip coffee filter holder, Yeti cups, similar light bulky items.

Under the galley counter big locker, is a sell portable microwave, camping pot to boil water in (tall 2-liter cylinder shape). Can goods in a plastic box, etc.  I have the two-way fridge under the stove, and the drawer under it holds the posts and pans, nested inside each other with wool felt pads.

Under the bunk in the center compartment in our 2018 TaB400 (you do not have this space as the Air8 is in it), is bedding and some additional can goods as needed, and a big camping skillet.

As long as you follow the light stuff in upper cabinets, heavy items below, organize the lockers as best fits you, and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    I think @Denny16 has the right idea. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve opened the top cabinet this summer to have something come shooting out at me. We keep ‘soft’ dry goods such as packets of instant potatoes or rice packets, paper plates and plastic cups, napkins, etc. in the front of the uppers. In the back of the upper cabinets we do have a couple cans of spam or beans but they stay at the back of the cabinet. 
    The space above the TV  has a silicone liner that does an amazing job of keeping things from sliding around. I then put two rectangular open containers on that shelf on the liner. In these I put salsa, tuna, chicken, beans —canned goods etc. The pantry goods stay tucked in the containers and the containers don’t slide around. It makes pantry items easily accessible. 
    Our first drawer below the counter has silverware, utensils,
    flashlights, and other things we need to access often and easily. 
    I love our under bed storage for larger or heavy pantry items, extra blankets, extra supplies like plates, paper towels, etc. 
    We use the cabinet and drawer and cubby beside bath door for clothes, coats, and shoes. 

2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @AirBoss - glad you are recovered and back in the saddle!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Sharon_is_SAM. Thanks! Me too!
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2021
    I recently re-did my storage.  I took everything out and organized things differently.  What was really helpful (for me) was putting where everything was into a two-column spreadsheet.  I can search my little spreadsheet for, say, pliers.  Which is handy because, well, I re-organized.  Right?  I've included it here.  I use an app on my phone to keep the spreadsheet and when I run out of something, I hi-lite the row in a color, re-stock and then undo the color.  If I come up with something new I want to tote, I just add another row, give it a color, and I stay organized.  My wife and I use the bins above the sink for toiletries.  The bins in back we use for clothing.

Just for reference, Door 1 is under the sink, Door 2 is under 1, Door 3 is under the seat, under fridge is obvious, stowage is access from the outside and "shelf" is a whole other subject.  I found these "cups" at Ikea which have a lip that just fits tight over the edge of the shelf.  I stuff all sorts of things in here.

foil
    door 1
    gallon baggies
    door 1
    cutting board
    door 1
    hot pad
    door 1
    quart baggies
    door 1
    dish soap
    door 1
    hand soap
    door 1
    measuring cups
    door 1
    cutting board
    door 1
    spatulas
    door 1
    can opener
    door 1
    big spoons
    door 1
    scissors
    door 1
    whisk
    door 1
    plastic utensils
    door 2
    3 qt pot/strainer
    door 2
    tea kettle
    door 2
    3 qt pot w/glass lid
    door 2
    2 qt mixing bowl
    door 2
    extra paper towels
    door 3
    first aid kit
    door 3
    33 gallon trash bags
    door 3
    first aid kit
    door 3
    small broom
    door 3
    water funnel
    door 3
    plastic cups
    under fridge
    foam cups
    under fridge
    hot drink mugs
    under fridge
    paper plates
    under fridge
    frying pan
    under fridge
    paper bowls
    under fridge
    4 forks, spoons, knives
    under fridge
    duct tape
    tool bin
    zip ties
    tool bin
    needle nose pliers
    tool bin
    small screwdrivers
    tool bin
    hand tool set
    tool bin
    hand axe
    tool bin
    extension cord
    stowage
    water hose
    stowage
    outdoor rug
    stowage
    plug adapter
    stowage
    Collapsible bucket
    stowage
    canopy shade
    stowage
    rope
    back hatch
    table cloths
    back hatch
    table clips
    back hatch
    bungee cords
    back hatch
    fanny pack/binoculars
    back hatch
    lamps
    back hatch
    Claritin
    shelf
    bug spray
    shelf
    head lights
    shelf
    dish towels
    shelf
    plastic trash bags
    shelf
    shampoo
    shelf
    lotion
    shelf
    body wash
    shelf
    USB cords
    shelf
    Kleenex
    shelf
    crayons/cards
    shelf
    matches
    shelf
    scouring pads
    shelf
    sun block
    shelf
    Aquachem
    bath
    RV toilet paper
    bath
    5 gallon jug
    car
    folding trash can
    car
    rock salt/ice cream mixer
    car
    dutch oven
    car
    Kingsford charcoal
    car
    grill tools and propane
    car
    Outside grill
    car
    Giant canopy
    car
    camp chairs and recliners
    car
    Wheel chocks/blocks
    car
    American flag
    car

2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @marchule. Dang! That's impressive. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect something this  comprehensive. Well done! 

Like you (sorta) I gutted all the drawers and cubbies and started over. It was revealing to say the least!

That said, for me, it's still a bit like hiding your own Easter Eggs! 🤣

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com