Options

Boondock Step failure

cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
edited August 2021 in Trailer & Towing
I stepped out of my camper this morning and the step collapsed under me but luckily I was able to not get injured. There are 8 bolts holding the step to the frame, one of these had the nut come off which caused the step to collapse to one side. After further investigation all remaining 7 bolts had loose nuts. These are all 1" long, 5/16" with a lock washer and no loctite. There is no thread extending past the nut when tightened, the nut is barely flush with the end of the bolt. I ended up replacing all 8 with longer bolts 1 1/4" and nylon lock nuts. We really like our camper but this step
was poorly put together. 
2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have reported this step problem to nüCamp. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,184
    I had one bolt that hadn't been completely tightened on my steps (2021 400 BD). The lock washer was still expanded and I could spin the bolt with my hand. I luckily was looking under the unit on pickup day and noticed it. Lots of loose bolts and plumbing fittings on these units.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Thanks for sharing! I’ll add this bolt check to my next safety check! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    KatydidKatydid Member Posts: 43
    Took mine in for brake and bearings service yesterday and they happened to notice that one of my step bolts was missing. Happy they caught it before it caused a problem!
    2021 TAB 400BD; 2015 Audi Q5
    Boston Northshore
  • Options
    ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
    This just happened with our 2021 Tab 320S! We came back from a trip yesterday, and this morning I noticed a nut on the ground, just next to the step. When I got underneath and examined it, I found that the nut had fallen off one of the bolts holding the step to the frame. Luckily the bolt was still in place, so the step did not detach and no one was injured. But it would have detached had this not been discovered. It seems the bolt was damaged in the process as it no longer threaded properly. I went to the hardware store and with their help matched the bolt and got a new one. I also got a locking nut. I reinstalled using the same washer set up as on the other bolts. So I do hope NuCamp will look into this and everyone should inspect the bolts on their steps to make sure nothing is loose!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2021
    I’d buy the nylon locking nuts and although I haven’t checked the nuts and bolts on our step, might consider a longer bolt if the clearance would allow it.   I’m glad you are okay and that no one was injured.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 135
    I had the same problem ( https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14029/quality-control-issues-on-2021-tab-320-bd) and wrote NuCamp..to be honest, they seemed to not take it seriously.
    I am actually not happy after spending almost 40 grand on a trailer and finding blatant quality control issues!...Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Brent
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Thank you for this thread!!
    Inspected my step just now, and every nut was about to come off...
    I don't think it is an assembly issue as much as a design issue with using a lock washer and standard nut. The bolts on the step all act as pivot points for the step articulation, and the back and forth action is obviously loosening the nuts. 
    I think the suggestion above about using nylock nuts is the route I'm going to take to try and correct this long term.

I had noticed that the step has gotten progressively softer over the past year, but being both lazy and hopeful, attributed it to the mechanism just wearing in - not literally falling off.

Anyone happen to know what size nut is required?
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    Two of mine were loose, none particularly tight. Does seem like an obvious place for a nylock and plan to change mine out.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 133
    Thank you for the heads up!  I literally just ran out to check mine, and they are all rock solid tight.  But I too will add this to my safety checklist.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I looked at our 2020 and it was a good day for tightening the bolts for the step when it was put on.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    I just replaced mine with nylock nuts and feel a little more confident we won't fall down heading in or out (at least due to the step coming loose!). I would guess that the hardware was supplied by the step manufacturer and NuCamp just attaches to their (the step manufacturer) spec.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    Do you happen to know the size?
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    Do you happen to know the size?
    I'd hate to quote what I used only to find yours is different. I just pulled one of the bolts and ran to the hardware store and found the right nylocks. Mine was metric (I'm in the US). Could also check with the manufacturer -- our delivery kit included info on the entry stair. My step needed a total of 8 nuts to replace them all. I guess another option might be Loctite Blue instead of replacing the nuts.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited August 2021
    Thanks for the heads-up on this issue.
    FWIW, mine are tight from the factory so I added a "step" to my checklist to inspect these before each trip. If I notice them backing out I'll do Loctite or nylon nut replacements.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    RetiredguyRetiredguy Member Posts: 21
    Just a heads up for everyone.  When I went to enter my T@B this morning i noticed a 1/2 inch nut on the ground.  I checked under the step and found all 6 of the nuts and bolts were loose and ready to fall off. I was quite surprised by this, as we have only used our TAB four times this year.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    That's exactly what happened to us...NuCamp has been informed...best suggestion so far from the crowd is Nylock nuts or blue Loctite....I gotta get to it myself!
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    BlueYonderBlueYonder Member Posts: 19
    Just discovered this and replaced with Nylock nuts last weekend. First and only ‘defect’ in our 10 month old 2021 400. BD. Our step had become saggy on the tire side, and I found that the nut and washers were completely gone on one bolt, and loose on the other on that side.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Just discovered this and replaced with Nylock nuts last weekend. First and only ‘defect’ in our 10 month old 2021 400. BD. Our step had become saggy on the tire side, and I found that the nut and washers were completely gone on one bolt, and loose on the other on that side.
    Did the same inspection a couple of weeks ago, and like you, all 6 nuts were extremely loose...and I had a softness in the step on the tire side too.
    They are really using the wrong bolt/nut arrangement on these steps.
    The bolts should be shouldered bolts of the approriate length so they can act as real pivot points AND still be tightened appropriately so the nuts don't come loose.
    I've tightened everything down for now...but that made for a too stiff step in terms of deploying and stowing.
    Going to go the nylock nut route this week.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Anyone know the size of the nuts?...will hop down to Home Depot.
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    FWIW As a data point, all our bolts are correct and tight.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    After replacing ours on our 320 (which we traded for a 400), I found one loose one on the 400 and decided to do the nylok operation on all 8 bolts. I used 8mm fine thread, but I'd suggest pulling a bolt and matching to it at your hardware store.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    After replacing ours on our 320 (which we traded for a 400), I found one loose one on the 400 and decided to do the nylok operation on all 8 bolts. I used 8mm fine thread, but I'd suggest pulling a bolt and matching to it at your hardware store.
    Thanks..I will do that.

Brent
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    @LonesomeRoad
    Do you happen to know if the size you used was the 1.25 Thread Pitch (which is usually 'Fine Thread' in metric)? 
    Trying to order online...and I know mine are 8mm and I'm certain it is a fine pitch.
    Thanks in advance if you happen to know.

• Options

@LonesomeRoad
    Do you happen to know if the size you used was the 1.25 Thread Pitch (which is usually 'Fine Thread' in metric)? 
    Trying to order online...and I know mine are 8mm and I'm certain it is a fine pitch.
    Thanks in advance if you happen to know.

@ChrisFix I'll stop by our hardware store tomorrow and look at the bin I pulled them from. I'm going past it anyways. Better safe than sorry with that step!

2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    @LonesomeRoad
    That is very kind of you, but please do not feel obligated to it if at all inconvenient for you.
    It's information that I'll use, but no imposition intended beyond picking your brain!
  • Options
    @ChrisFix,
    Here's what I used on our 320 and 400:

Good luck.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    @LonesomeRoad
    Thank you so very much!
    I thought that was probably the right size... But it is super nice to have it confirmed!!
    Thank you again... 
  • Options
    @ChrisFix,
    Here's what I used on our 320 and 400:

Good luck.
    Thanks very much!...went to Home Depot and they didnt have the nuts in SS, so just blue Loctited them.
    Toronto, Canada