Victron Monitors

I’m in the build process and wonder which Victron monitor most of you use or recommend . The 712 or the shunt ? Can you network either of these or the other ? I’m buying a 2022 Tab 400 Boondocker. Thanks

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The Smartshunt does not require wiring up a display, so you rely on your phone and bluetooth.  We have a 700 with a display and BT dongle as that was offered back in 2016 when we ordered our TaB.  I find myself using the VictronConnect to access info which presents on a single page.  You need to scroll through the display for the same info.  I vote Smartshunt😊
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • RickyRicky Member Posts: 24
    Thank you, that was my vote. Let’s hear what the rest of you have to say
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited September 2021
    @Ricky Look into the Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense. I recently installed one and networked it with my MPPT 75|10 factory solar and a MPPT 75|15 connected to a Renogy 100W suitcase. I can't yet comment too much other than say it was an easy install and appears to be working as advertised. I'll know more after my next road trip. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has used it and can compare it to the 712 or a shunt.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    The Smart Shunt has been the nicer choice since bluetooth and phones became more common.  It is cheaper than the 712 model, too.

Don't overlook the inexpensive 40 dollar shunts that have good reviews, also. Lots of owners have this one:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2021
    I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've used that wall display with our 712 unit, plus on our T@B320S it was no picnic wiring it to the inside wall from near the battery in the front tub where we have the shunt.  I guess it's a good backup if ever needed, but not much else I can think of.
    PS:  We installed ours before the smart shunt was available.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    I installed the 712 with a display just in case.  I use my phone to check what is going on with my battery and two networked controllers for the panels.  Rumor has it I could have used the cost differential for wine….  The rumor could be true.  YMMV.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    Another vote for the SmartShunt...
    The actual Shunt installation is exactly the same no matter which Shunt you get. But not needing to install the display sames time and aggrevation, and not drilling a large hole in your cabinetry is a plus in my book.
    The SmartShunt works great.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    I think that I have one of the first SmartShunts sold in the US (I had been communicating directly with Victron in Sweden before it was released). I installed it in March 2020 and I've been very happy with it. The Bluetooth connection seems pretty strong - I am even able to check my battery from the driver's seat of my TV. I wanted the SmartShunt rather than the 712 because I didn't want the hassle of installing the monitor. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @pthomas745 said:The Smart Shunt has been the nicer choice since bluetooth and phones became more common.  It is cheaper than the 712 model, too.

Don't overlook the inexpensive 40 dollar shunts that have good reviews, also. Lots of owners have this one:

I'll second that suggestion.

I also thought I would try the AiLi monitor and I intended to mount the monitor near the bed (I have the 2019 400) but found it reaches from the battery area to near the battery switch at the cargo door and its out of the way and happy there. You will learn a lot from any monitor about what is connected and what is charging and drawing current. I learned quickly that my TV does have a charge line to the battery but it only provides about 2 Amps of charging current when the TV is at idle. Our 2 way frig on 12 V pulls around 4 amps when the compressor is running, so on a hot long drive day we actually were not able to arrive after 4 hours with a fully charged battery (224 Amp hours). We would lose a net of 2 amp hours per day on travel days until we could get plugged into shore power (we do not yet have any solar panels). And a shunt monitor it is much more convenient than waiting to get resting battery voltages to tell when your battery is "full".

So depends on your style of camping and power use. The inexpensive one works well enough for us, for now.

Best wishes

QH

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    I bought the 712...but never installed the wall unit inside of the camper.  I just don't want to drill another hole in the camper, so I just mounted the display inside the propane tub.  I can check it easily...but tend to use my phone as well.
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    I have the Smart Shunt and put in the external bluetooth dongle. The internal bluetooth didn't work so hot if I was inside my T@B. Now it does. I also didn't want the hassle of running wires into the T@b from the tub for the monitor. My phone or iPad works fine for that with Victron Connect. I also have a Victron Smart Solar charge controller and put a Victron Smart Battery Sense temperature sensor on top of my battery. Can easily keep tabs (no pun intended) on all of the Victron devices that way. Happy with them so far. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    I bought the 712 before the Smart Shunt was available, but I didn't mount the display.  It's just sitting next to the shunt under the bed and I only use the phone/bluetooth interface. 

Another vote for the Smart Shunt.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    Another happy Smart Shunt user here. Easy to install and use. The only negative is that it is among the more costly options.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
    I know I'm not the sharpest pencil in this pack so curious. Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Victron Smart Battery Sense as a cheaper alternative to monitoring batteries, but there were no comments one way or the other. It lacks the extensive features of a Smart Shunt or the 712, but for the average user, isn't voltage right at the battery a good enough way to monitor? Or am I under thinking it and good enough isn't enough for most of you? I actually installed it for its claim of improving charging-efficiency and prolonging battery life, with voltage and temperature monitoring being a bonus.
    Stockton, New Jersey

Voltage is not the best way to monitor your battery.  The battery sense uses the voltage and temperature to optimize charging at the controller.  A BMV is an amp counter and uses multiple factors to deliver the SOC.  You can trend data to monitor battery health and measure amphrs used to run various appliances.  
    The more I've played with and watched my Victron, and the longer I've had my trailer, I think I could fairly accurately estimate the number of amp hours I've used with just a good multimeter reading.  Of course, that is with a pretty basic battery usage, propane fridge, etc.  I'm lucky to have the trailer just a few feet away in my back driveway, and I make observations all the time.    At the next Tab Olympics, I will enter the "Guess How Many Amp Hours You Have Left Competition."  So, I think a multimeter can work.
    But:  if I had a 2 way fridge or more a more complicated setup, I'm sure the Victron shunt would be essential.  I could still make the "guesstimates" with the multimeter, but the margin of error could be an issue.
    Shunts really do help immensely.
    2017 Outback
    Sharon_is_SAM said: Voltage is not the best way to monitor your battery.  
    pthomas745 said: Shunts really do help immensely.
    Just when I though I was good to go ..........  :o

Stockton, New Jersey

@AnOldUR That is so funny.  I fully started out to say that, yes, I think shunts are overkill and you don't "really" need one....but I guess I wandered away from my own thought.  As long as you understand how to use a meter, they are invaluable.  People survived for years without shunts.  After I bought a meter and used it, I made it comfortably through two years of camping with just the meter to guide me. 

2017 Outback
    @pthomas745 … Before my battery and suitcase upgrades I used a meter to measure all my individual amp draws. Even with this information, I can see the advantage of having real time cumulative data and an accurate account of amp hours remaining. Over kill or not, when budget and time allow its a luxury with benefits that I’ll consider.   
    Stockton, New Jersey

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    AnOldUR said:
    Even with this information, I can see the advantage of having real time cumulative data and an accurate account of amp hours remaining. Over kill or not, when budget and time allow its a luxury with benefits that I’ll consider.   
    Yes, the "Time until empty" at a glance is a nice luxury to have when dry camping...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    To sum it up, a gas gauge is better than putting a dipstick down into your tank. 😬
    Stockton, New Jersey

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    I'm in the camp with "only" a shunt and use the BT app - simpler. If you camp without shore power with the 2021 and on trailers they are essential to monitor battery condition.  The networking between the controller and the battery conditions is also key if the battery is a ways from the charger as the controller will control to what the monitor says NOT sensed by the controller. This is due to voltage drops, the controller will see a different voltage. Networking between controllers and shunt is also important if you have more than one controller. You will not have this on the cheaper "shunt" only systems.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
    @AnOldUR - I read the forum for 2 years before ordering our TaB.  I quickly realized that we knew nothing about batteries and DC power.  I saw a lot of owners who did not do their homework and they killed their battery(s).  Although we say on the forum (tongue-in-cheek) that killing your battery is a right of passage, we did not want to be in that camp!  @jkjenn was one of the first to add the Victron BMV and we followed her lead.  Best thing we ever did.  The BMV helped us to learn battery management and it greatly reduced our anxiety.  Tech has really ramped up for DC monitoring and I think that the many choices are confusing for owners.  We just upgraded to a Victron MPPT and our next addition will be to add a temp monitor.  I look forward to being able to see the full “network” after placement of the upgraded Bluetooth dongle.  I think after that, our system will be complete…until the next great tech comes along😂
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    If you are using a Victron solar controller (or factory solar) , the Vixtorn battery monitors are rhe way to go for the networking capabilities. It makes each device a little "smarter" by providing additional data. This is especially true if you decide to use a Victron controller with a portable panel in addition to factory solar, later.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:
    This is especially true if you decide to use a Victron controller with a portable panel in addition to factory solar, later.
    Thanks to the sharing of information here, that’s the route we took. We bought a Renogy suitcase without a controller and mounted a second Victron controller in the front storage box next to the batteries.
    Stockton, New Jersey