320 S Cooktop Grommet Replacement

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
edited September 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
One of the little white gaskets that hold the little legs on the stove burner in place broke when I pulled the burner "plate" out of the gaskets to clean the stovetop.  Does anyone know where these can be found?

(Title edited for search purposes.)
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I'm thinking those are called grommets, but you might want to try contacting the stove manufacturer.  Dometic?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We had the same issue with our stove early on, while still in warranty.  We contacted Nucamp and they provided us with several.  Sorry but I haven't found the paperwork, p/n was on the packing slip.  Hopefully it is with the spares in the camper.  Will check tomorrow. Photos really help in this situation.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @SweetlyHome. That would be great if you have a part number!  Mine are white.
    Woohoo!
    @BrianZ. Thanks!  I knew there was another name for them but was drawing a blank--LOLL
    Woohoo!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    I contacted Dometic and they sent me a few gratis.
    Here is an eBay listing for the correct part - kind of pricey.

Dometic Waeco Cramer Pan Support Grommet For Cooker Grid Grey Rubber 8 Pack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272820272829?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Well, we're unhappy campers on this one.  We could not find the "spares" nor the paperwork and discovered we're going to need new ones.  Another of the originals has now failed.  I guess we will start with Dometic and Nucamp.  

To all, be careful to use a silicone grommet, not a neoprene one.  Silicone will survive to 450 degrees, neoprene is only good for 230 degrees.  I worked with both materials on the job prior to retirement. The original grommets on our stove may have been neoprene (look, feel, and life) and the new grey ones have all the look and feel of silicone.

@SweetlyHome thank you for the info on the material!  I would have had no idea.  I have also reached out via e-mail to both Nucamp and Dometic for help.  Please come back and post if you receive any information that is helpful and I will do the same.  Surely we are not the only ones having these little grommets fall apart.
    Woohoo!
    @SweetlyHome   By any chance do you happen to know the mm diameter of the inner hole and the mm diameter of the outside of the grommet?
    Woohoo!
    @SweetlyHome   I found these grommets --link below.  It actually had a measurement of 4mm, ID which is what the old ones are.  Someone posted a review on the company's site that they were an exact match to their 2014 Tab CS cooktop grommets that had started falling apart.  Could we be so lucky that these are the same ones?  Mine are white, though, not black ---I really don't care, if they fit!  They are not really cheap but not outrageously pricey like the link above from ebay.  These are also silicone, which they must be to withstand the heat from the flame---they cannot be rubber.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/50805/
    Woohoo!
    edited September 2021
    I dug through my old email and found this info:
    The part number is 44990001248 - provided by Dometic
    The contact is: CustomerSupportCenter (customersupportcenter@dometic.com)

@lkc001 and @rfuss928,
    I wasn't able to get back to my T@B today to measure or check the model number of my stove. The ones from PantherRV sure look right and they are silicone.  I will send a note to Dometic as soon as I can check the model of my stove.

FYI, rubber is a generic term or perhaps applies to natural rubber which isn't used much anymore.  Neoprene, Buna-N, Nitrile Rubber, Viton, silicone etc. are man made elastomers for various purposes.  One of the main ingredients of silicone is silicon.  While describing o-rings this page outlines the use of these materials https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings/

SweetlyHome
    FWIW - The part picture at the Panther RV link look like my original neoprene parts that that crumbled.  The parts Dometic sent me are like the gray picture above and are silicone material.  Those replacements are two years in and still like new.  We cook a lot.

edited September 2021
    @lkc001 and @rfuss928

FWIW and as a sanity check for myself.  I found the paperwork!!  :)

The Nucamp Part Number for the Stove Grommet maybe 66-00-4766. These are the grey silicone rubber ones and yes them seem to be lasting well.  I am concerned this may not be the correct p/n but rather a generic number for random items supplied under warranty.  They used the same number for the Window Track Ends for my front window.  Both items were provided under warranty.

Written while waiting on the phone for my turn at Dometic.

@SweetlyHome did you ever get through to Dometic?  I have sent them two e-mails and waited for almost 30 minutes one day on hold and had to get off the phone.  So disappointing that I can't get ahold of anyone or get a response., ... . . 
    Woohoo!
    @lkc001

I got through to Dometic on Friday.  They were friendly and professional after the 20-30 minute wait.  However they would not talk specifics without the model number of the stove which I didn't have.  Note the numbers on the cover of operators / installation manual supplied by Nucamp with the T@B are not model numbers. They suggested I check the stove or contact Nucamp for the information.

Went to the T@B to get to the model number.  I would have to unmount the stove or pull the refrigerator as the model number is on a sticker on the bottom of the stove.  Not doing that, at least not yet.

Sent an email to Nucamp Help.  Received the model number from them about 30 minutes ago.  Dometic is at lunch until 1:00 pm EST.

Will keep you advised. 

edited September 2021
    Try searching "Dometic RV gas stove top" images and look for one that matches yours to get the model #.  I think that how I figured out mine.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Dometic+RV+gas+stove+top&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS830US831&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPjOKCt_zyAhUPneAKHbfjAGcQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=771&bih=370

@SweetlyHome and @rfuss928 below is a pic of my stove.  I am not seeing anything that exactly matches my stove at dometic website.  The closest one that matches has different knobs.  

@SweetlyHome what year/model Tab do you have and if it is the same as mine, what was the model # they gave you?

I have a 2017 Tab 320S.  

Woohoo!
    @lkc001 @rfuss928

On the phone with Dometic as I write.  What a lousy system they have.  So far they have emailed me a photo of the part we want in a 15 minute wait.  Now they need to find the p/n!  No wonder we are on phone so long!

@SweetlyHome bless you for having such patience!  I'm still waiting a response from my 2 e-mails--not impressed with Dometic
    Woohoo!
    @SweetlyHome @rfuss928

Speaking of the . . . .   I just now got a response back from Dometic--he states "Unfortunately the grommets are not available on their own from Dometic".

I have responded asking for a manager in that department to contact me because that is not what we are being told.  

This is their "customer service"??  
    Woohoo!
    @lkc001 @rfuss928

I survived their system. A 30 minute wait for my turn and an interesting 35 minute walk through their system while Tawnny found a part number.  She is shipping me 8 free of charge.

The current p/n is 50708.  FYI PantherRV https://pantherrvproducts.com/50708/ :)

The Panther p/n 50805, I asked specifically, listed above in this thread is obsolete.  Maybe this is the black one?  We can only hope.

When I get these I will post a photo and guesstimate the material.

FYI, Tawnny is now working on the p/n for the little glass top bumpers on my sink. (5 minutes) and will email me the answer. :|

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Can't wait to hear the next installment!  : =)

And yes, the resolution would be nice to hear too. I've had a split grommet or two ever since we bought the thing!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited September 2021
    ChanW
    If you want another entertaining thread on this topic go over to the T@G forum and search stove grommets.  Lots of interesting solutions...

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    You could probably make some grommets with Sugru.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    @SweetlyHome. Thank you so much for the part # from panther rv products.  I will be ordering some.  Please let us know a part # & where we can order the bumpers as well.  The bumpers on my stove seem to be held in by a small screw or something?  I can't tell what is holding it in.
    Woohoo!
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Here's our label, if it helps..

Grommets are white, as you can see.  Our build date I think was May 2017.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    @lkc001
    • The Dometic part number is 50708.  Panther is using the manufacture's p/n.
    • I haven't pursued the part number for the stove glass bumper.  An oversight on my part that I will likely regret.  I did remove and inspect one of these on my stove.  It is a cap that snaps onto the head of the screw.
    • The stove model number given to me by Nucamp was 50214.  It did not help.  Where the 50214 provided by Nucamp comes from is a mystery.
    • In the end it was the method suggested by @r@rfuss928 that got some results.  I looked at the Dometic website and gave Tawnny the stove model CE 99.  This got us to a valid part numbers.
    Thanks @BrianZ for the photo.  Having that real model number will surely help in the future.  Your photo demonstrates that there are at least 3 different grommets out there: white, grey, and black.  Looking forward to opening the my packet of grommets to see what I get.

@Marceline Sugru might work in a pinch as it is apparently good to 180°C (356°F).  Better than neoprene but not as good as silicone.  Thanks for the suggestion.

@BrianZ Thank you so much!  I'm positive  have the same stovetop as you do, so this information, at least for the Model # is very helpful.  I believe my build date was @May of 2017.  I will be taking a screenshot to keep with my info about the stove:)
    Woohoo!
    @SweetlyHome Thank you for all the time spent on this and for the information.  I will be ordering some grommets from Panther and will report back as to whether they fit when I get them.  Please let us know what you get from Dometic.  Thank you again

Woohoo!