Broken Roof Vent Hatch Lock

Anyone break the plastic locking mechanism on their roof vent?  Do not believe I did anything out of the ordinary other than engage lock when traveling or storing.  Is this a replaceable item or is their an upgrade locking mechanism? 2021 TAB Boondock original vent unit.  
2021 320S BD
2020 V6 Chevy Colorado

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    A picture may help.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • JudydoJudydo Member Posts: 2
    same thing happened on my 2016 T@b. I secured it before leaving the dealer an hour away. It's not too easy to access to see where it broke, but mine was a little plastic hook that caught on a screw to secure. So no advice, just commiseration! 
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    I’m guessing this is the part. I haven’t broken mine but it feels like it could when I close it. It’s a bit tricky to remove and put back on. I had to do that when I did the pwm variable speed mod to the fan (which I highly recommend). 

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • MobeanMobean Member Posts: 50
    Thanks WayneW.  That looks like the one.  Both the hook portion and the plastic washer shattered into pieces.  Perhaps I'll buy 2 since purchased brand new in May.  Tell me more about the variable speed modification.  It is a bit noisy at night.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    There are various discussions on the forum about modifications to the fantastic fan.  Some upgrade to a variable speed with remote, some have rain sensors, some domes open remotely, timers, ....  
    I went with a cheaper option.  It replaces the 3-speed resistor switch with a pulse width modulation controller (pwm) that costs $10-15.  It results in infinitely variable speeds, is quieter and saves power.  

Here is a link that explains it fairly clearly.  It's an older link and the pwm controller they refer to is no longer available but there are plenty of options out there.

http://ourelkhorn.itgo.com/camperII/fansw.htm

Good luck with the latch replacement and the variable speed if you decide to go that route.  I sure like it.
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • TABNewbiesTABNewbies Member Posts: 90
    @Mobean and here is the 'expensive' mod.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8556/fantastic-fan-upgrade-to-7350-dramatic-improvement-in-efficiency#latest
    The variable speed is a lot quieter however you get there for sure.

2021 T@B 400 BD T@bitha with 2016 Highlander
    Juliet and Andy in Massachusetts
  • K_C_915K_C_915 Member Posts: 34
    My locking knob broke in half. I glued it together and so far it is holding. You need to remove the wire screen to replace the parts.  Just pull it down, it is tight, but it does come out. Be careful if you take the fuse out. The holder is not very strong and another weak link in the fan.
    I bought the repair kit as well. I am sure I will need it.

2021 T@b 320 S Boondock
    2020 F150 2.7l V6 Turbo
    Tucson, Arizona
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Mine broke a few months after taking delivery of our 400 but it was around the same time that we swapped the fan for the Maxx Air fan. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 255
    Yes, mine was broken when I arrived home from picking up my camper last summer.  The kit shown in the Amazon link above is the correct kit.  It is difficult to reach, but easy to replace.  Simply remove the screw that holds the thumb-lever in place from the bottom of the latch shaft (from inside the camper).  Next, open the vent cover and go to the top of the camper using a ladder (be carefull not to lean or kneel on the roof of the camper).  Pull out the old shaft/latch and drop in the replacement.  Return to the inside of the camper and replace the thumb lever and screw.  You may want to have someone stay at the top of the camper the keep the shaft from coming out of the hole while you are screwing on the lever. 
    I would check the inside of the vent cover as well.  There is a small post that accepts the screw that the hook latches to.  The post on my cover was cracked and the latch would not remain in the locked position.  I reinforced the post with epoxy resin as a temporary repair.  It has been fine all summer as I am still waiting for a replacement cover.  

• MobeanMobean Member Posts: 50
    Thanks all.  Sounds like it's time for nuCamp to talk with the vent maker.  Appreciate all the crowd-sourced advice.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    After breaking four or five over the years, my new locking system has worked great: (1) Shine a flashlight up into the fan to see the locking tab, (2) lower the vent cover so it sits just above the locking tab, (3) position the locking tab so it will catch the vent post once completely lowered, (4) lower the cover to its lowest position, (5) MOST IMPORTANTLY, slowly rotate the locking tab so that it just makes contact with the vent post, (6) once the locking tab touches the vent post, GENTLY, GENTLY, GENTLY move the locking tab onto the vent post.  This last step is where the locking post will break because of too much pressure.  Using a flashlight is critical to see the location of the components.  It takes VERY LITTLE pressure to secure the locking tab to the vent post!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    The locking tab on our 2021 BD 400 roof fan broke, too. It happened while we on the road; I’m thinking the break occurred when the trailer bounced hard or flexed, stressing the plastic locking mechanism (which looks cheap to me). I had the dealer fix it because it was under warranty, but I don’t know that I am going to lock it any more. Snugging the lid down by hand seems to work just fine.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Binghi - on one of my many trips with a faulty vent lock, I thought I could simply close the vent cover all the way without using the locking tab.  Another T@B owner traveling behind me said the vent cover was bouncing up and down while on the road.  You really need the locking tab to be fully engaged with the vent post.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    I e-mailed Dometic when ours broke and they sent me a replacement under warranty. Poorly made part.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    Tabaz said:
    Binghi - on one of my many trips with a faulty vent lock, I thought I could simply close the vent cover all the way without using the locking tab.  Another T@B owner traveling behind me said the vent cover was bouncing up and down while on the road.  You really need the locking tab to be fully engaged with the vent post.
    Sounds like I need a different fan.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Alternative solution: if you install a vent cover like the Camco Aero-flo you don’t really have to worry about locking the vent lid.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab