Options

Cigarette Outlet Fusing

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
Our 2020 320S has a cigarette lighter type outlet in the back by the bed on the drivers side. While trying to find out what each of the 12V fuses provided protection for, I removed every fuse. None of the fuses cut power to that 12V cigarette outlet. Anyone know why or have an explanation?
edit to add: To see if there was power there, I plugged in a 12V device that had an LED pilot light on the plug. That light never went out. Could there be residual power keeping the light on even after the fuse is removed?

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @AnOldUR there is a response from @Bayliss that solved my issue that appears to be what you are describing. His response is at the bottom of the discussion titled 

Fuse keeps burning out

Cheers
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    @AnOldUR the referenced thread @Freespirit provided is a bit long.

The short version (pulled from the 'Fuse keeps burning out' thread) is your LED Pilot light is 'seeing' the available current used to light the Power Center 'Fuse Bad' LED.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Thanks. Sounds similar to the household wall switches that glow when in the off position so that you can find them in the dark. So any load greater than a little led would not pass through the resistor? Makes sense. I'll give it a test under load to confirm it in my head.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @AnOldUR that’s why I keep an old school incandescent 12v test light. It won’t glow on a high resistance circuit like the one above. It also provides a small load which helps me with diagnosis.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2021
    AnOldUR said:
    So any load greater than a little led would not pass through the resistor? 
    Not exactly, but, without the fuse in the circuit, the available current is limited by the circuit to something on the order of 10-15 milliamps.  That's enough current to light an LED.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods