Options

Help with Progressive Industries EMS

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,290
I'm fairly certain that I have my EMS-HW30C wired correctly, but have a problem. Either I lost the remote data cable or it wasn't included. Can't be sure because I got the EMS last summer and opened it, but I'm just now getting to installing it. The directions say it is not a phone cable but rather a data cable. It has a 4 contact plug. Some phone cable use two wire, others four. Is there some other difference between the cable provided and a 4 wire phone cable? Will I have to get on the phone with Progressive in the morning to order a new cable?
It powers up the trailer and a circuit tester show no faults, but with no display it's hard to tell if it's working correctly.
Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    You will need to call Progressive.  Get the correct cable.

Since you are powered up everything should be wired fine.  Once you have an issue you want to be able to read the display.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply @dlb. Having trouble getting through to Progressive Industries and I don't see just the cable available on their website. I just put in an order with Monoprice for a "Phone Cable, RJ12 (6P6C), Straight for Data - 14ft". For five bucks shipped, I thought it was worth the risk while waiting to get in touch with Progressive. The main box is all wired up but not attached to the wall yet. From what you say, it should be safe to complete that portion of the installation while waiting for the cable. Thank again.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @AnOldUR, having dealt with a lot of communication things and different protocols in my working career the thing that I would caution you on is this. It is very possible that the cable is a standard 4 wire phone cable but then again it is very possible that they cross the wires between the 2 ends.

What this means it that it may work, or it may not. And as always, if not there is always the potential for damage to either the PC board in the EMS or the remote display. 

If it were me, I would send them an email (likely closed this week) and complete the mounting. For testing at home, you will know if there are no errors based simply on the fact if it allows power through to the RV. 

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @Dutch061, I didn't think about a possible holiday shutdown at Progressive Industries. I also send an email to the tech department at Monoprice to see if they were familiar with this EMS remote, but that's a long shot.
    One other thing in the installation instructions that's confusing me is the time delay jumper. It's not clear which option to choose. Is the 15 second default what most people here use?
    edit to add:
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    I installed the Progress Industries model without the remote display.  I too found the info on the jumper confusing, but ultimately decided to pull it   Since then we've had our 2019 CSS powered from 30, 20, and 15 amp sources and had no problems.  The factory A/C and dual-power fridge were powered under each scenario and we had no issues (ie. premature appliance failures, blown fuses, soft or melted wiring, pungent smells, fires).  Your 320S has different appliances and wiring than ours so take our experience as a data point to be merely considered.  FWIW, our pulled jumper is kept in a pouch of user manuals stowed under the passenger side bench. 
    And Happy New Year to All!
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    @Slackers, so I'm guessing that with the jumper pulled there is no delay? Sounds reasonable to pull it since I have not found any explanation for the delay. Possibly something in the Progressive control needs processing time before power is allowed to pass through to the trailer?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    @AnOldUR, I have the same unit as you and I left the jumper as it was delivered. To date, I have had zero issues.

Happy New Year!

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Still no word back on the data cable, but thought I'd pass the time by posting pictures of the EMS install in my 2020 320S for anyone looking to do the same. (Although there are many, many more to view here on the forum.) The only real problem was that the 3" hole that the air conditioning duct passed through was preventing mounting on the panel that I had seen other use. Luckily I had a 3" hole saw, so rerouting it was not difficult.
    Hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year!

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    That's a professional looking install, like your other work.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    To wrap this up, the data cable came from Monoprice today. Plugged in and working fine. So, if you're in need of a cable, I ordered the 7' version of this one for $1.99 plus shipping.
    Monoprice Phone Cable, RJ12 (6P6C), Straight for Data - 14ft

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My understanding of the time delay is to analyze the power before passing power on to camper. My cycles through remote display a couple times so I see voltage and any error codes, if all ok, it then closes relay and power goes to camper.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    My older progressive has a two minute delay. It was originally used on my motorhome which had an on board generator. When using a generator it's better to have a minute or two delay so the power when the generator first starts can level out.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that there is a way to choose between two different time delay intervals, one shorter and one longer.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    On the version I have, there is a jumper that allows either a 15 second or a 2-minute delay. I am attaching the manual, see Item 13 on page 6 in the instructions for the reference to the jumper setting.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    See the link I provided in the following discussion for a reply I got from Danby regarding setting the EMS timer reset delay for window A/C unit protection..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/171009/#Comment_171009
    Our Danby window A/C unit doesn't have its own timer delay reset circuit, so using the longer delay is advised.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Slackers said:
    That's a professional looking install ...
    There are a lot of people who don't like display/pilot lights on at night. Neither my wife of I mind. Actually the night light effect is appreciated. Haven't spent a night in the trailer since this installation, but we're wondering about it. The continuous changing display give it a flashing appearance that could be a problem. May need to think about some kind of cover or flap.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    @AnOldUR we chose the model without the remote display to avoid the flashing display.  We have an older Jenson radio so we have plenty of night light effect going on.  Perhaps the lower (and under bed) location of your unit will reduce the worst effects of the leds.