Options

Swap microwave for cabinet door?

I'm picking up my 2022 T@B 400 BD tomorrow and since we needed it quickly we got it "off the lot" rather than ordering.  We really don't use a microwave much and I have seen pics of other 2022s with it removed and a cabinet door in its place.  I guess I'm thinking whether I can get the dealer to order a door and then return a microwave as an even swap? Is a cabinet door for the microwave cubby even an orderable item? Just though I would check here before I approach the dealer with this. I don't mind installing the door (hinges and latch) so it is really simple for the dealer.  Comments?
2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The stock door that comes in the non-microwave model should fit, and should be available from nüCamp, via the dealer.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Someone on one of the FB group pages recently posted about this and I believe it cost them $120 for the door going through their dealer. Not sure what they did with the microwave.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    CruiserCamperChrisCruiserCamperChris Member Posts: 76
    I want to do this. What do I need to order, the cabinet door, and the hinge, and.... what about the trim above the door? It would need trim there correct?  Sure wish we didn't have to go through a dealer. Rathe deal with Nucamp for parts.
    Karen and Chris
    2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 149
    @CruiserCamperChris I just ordered this last week thru Missouri Teardrops (Dana and Barb).  It was called a microwave delete kit, $147.99. Not cheap but it is more useful than a microwave for us. Make sure they know what the interior wood is (mine is birch).
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    edited March 2022
    We just use the microwave as a cabinet...
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    lavaitaitislavaitaitis Member Posts: 3
    I just received my microwave delete kit and looking forward to installing. Did anyone receive any installation instructions with their kit? I’m anxious about jumping into this in the blind.  Thanks for any info.

Leon
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 304
    My “Microwave delete” kit for our ‘23 400 did not come with any instructions and was missing a few screws. Was a bit of a challenge trying to get everything to line up correctly but the end results came out pretty good.
    no instructions, I did have all the parts included.  Worked out well.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    If someone would share a few photos of the installed cabinet door it would be appreciated. Maybe a shot from the inside to see how the battens are positioned.

thanks,
    Leon
  • Options
    @lavaitaitis here you go, left, right, inside looking out x2

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2023
    subkron said:
    no instructions, I did have all the parts included.  Worked out well.
    Is installation obvious? Were spring hinges pre-installed to door? Thanks, @subkron!
    I was content to just use microwave itself as storage. Then I tried to angle fit the gnat vac. No go. The microwave frame is an immense space stealer. Will be glad to put it in storage.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    @johnfconway Installation was not entirely obvious but working thru it wasn't too bad. Hinges were no installed but that was simple enough.

@lavaitaitis et al. I took a bunch of pics when I did the install, not sure if they are useful or not but this may give you all an idea of parts provided and how they go together.

All in all the space is well used and we really like the conversion.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Trying to get order through Missouri Teardrops moving ahead. The folks at NuCamp sent Barb at Missouri Teardrops this: I was ready to do this order and then I realized that for this year model they have to change the cabinet door beside where the microwave goes needs to be replaced as well.  do you want to check with your customer if that is ok.  we don't have a door for the 2020 models.
    Have no idea what this means. Buy 2 doors? Buy giant 5 hinge door that spans 2 cabinets?
    I would be surprised the combined space between microwave and adjacent cabinet changed from 2020 to 2021 models, but it must have.
    Has anyone swapped out microwave in a 2020 T@B 400?   Thanks!
    p.s. the dealer go-between thing is pretty inefficient
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited May 2023
    The front of the overhead door faces is different, you need to rep,ace both sides if you want matching doors.  The TaB400 had several overhead cabinet door styles, the original 2018/2019 has a two tone door, with a white wave in the face of the doors and natural birch Obote and below the white part.  The 2020 went with a solid color door face available in two color schemes, and 2021/2022 doors have a different look with different latching hardware, and a cutout at the bottom for a hand pull.  I would replace both doors to get them matching.  The size of the openings, I believe, is the same on the 2020 versions and later with the microwave option.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I am working with Missouri Teardrops on this. I think for obscure requests like this, NuCamp takes their time even with dealers as middleman.
    Oddly enough, I have in garage all the 1/2" Baltic Birch laminated plywood that was the driver's side dinette bench when Air8 was replaced with Cool Cat. Plenty big to cut for door and trim piece. Would need to build it out 1/4".
    Needed would be spring loaded hinges, nickel-looking handle and open/close plastic hardware pieces. Finding them searching online is a bit of a minefield. Has anyone found a site that organizes these items in a reasonably efficient way for searches?
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    The front of the overhead door faces is different, you need to rep,ace both sides if you want matching doors.  The TaB400 had several overhead cabinet door styles, the original 2018/2019 has a two tone door, with a white wave in the face of the doors and natural birch Obote and below the white part.  The 2020 went with a solid color door face available in two color schemes, and 2021/2022 doors have a different look with different latching hardware, and a cutout at the bottom for a hand pull.  I would replace both doors to get them matching.  The size of the openings, I believe, is the same on the 2020 versions and later with the microwave option.  
    Cheers
    Hmmm.  I just ordered the replacement door for my 2019.  They asked for a picture of my current interior (blonde birch).  Now I'm curious what I'll receive.  I'll share when I get it.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Horigan said:
    Denny16 said:
    Cheers
    Hmmm.  I just ordered the replacement door for my 2019.  They asked for a picture of my current interior (blonde birch).  Now I'm curious what I'll receive.  I'll share when I get it.
    Now I wonder if the 3/4" Baltic Birch veneer plywood used in 2020s as cabinet faces and doors is no longer available? Otherwise, the hole left by microwave is the same across model years. Besides the cabinet hardware and inside support wood, all that is needed would be finished door piece and trim piece.
    I hope NuCamp can send hardware and support wood pieces so the 1/2" Baltic Birch doesn't go to waste.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    If you have a 2020 T@B 400 and are contemplating gaining storage space by replacing microwave with cabinet, hardware makes it pretty expensive. We're lucky in that we have a piece of matching 3/4" veneered plywood to use as door. Not quite enough for both doors.
    Hardware issue is with matching pull handles and latch. Smaller, adjacent door has nice "thumb" latch and 8" nickel pull. Can't match the pull. Wasted way too much time scouring internet for similar latch. No go. The "push button" latch is now the only game in town. I like the thumb latch better.
    Had to buy two matching pulls. Will leave thumb latch on small door, Found a "mini" button latch that hopefully will be hidden under the 15/16" wide pull. Will not invite anyone with cabinetry observation skills into trailer, as they would be the only one (besides me) to see the mismatch!
    Quick question for those who have done the swapout. I am new to double spring hinges. Not attached to wood, I can't make them budge. No instructions with them and "DGN" the manufacturer doesn't have instructions on their website. Is there a release of some sort on the hinge that I am not seeing, or will it work as intended once installed?  Thanks!
  • Options
    I was able to receive instructions from nu-Camp on the Microwave delete kit installation.
    attached. I don't think everyone here has the same kit.

best regards.
  • Options
    Quick question for those who have done the swapout. I am new to double spring hinges. Not attached to wood, I can't make them budge. No instructions with them and "DGN" the manufacturer doesn't have instructions on their website. Is there a release of some sort on the hinge that I am not seeing, or will it work as intended once installed?  Thanks!
    The ones that come with the kit and installed on the smaller door are just spring loaded.  I would confirm they move with a couple of pliers before you install them.  They are pretty strong springs on the delete kit we got given how wide and heavy the replacement door is.  Note on my delete kit they also include the smaller door with the matching pushbutton release.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 96
    This is the shelving I put in that area...

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    We’re totally copying this design. Thanks @KK1L !
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA