Options

Golf Cart Battery Set Up

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a dual GC battery set up. I see mixed thoughts from people on the Trojan versus a Costco or Sam's battery set-up. Any recommendations based on your own experience?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Jenn...sorry I can't directly answer your question (I would go with Trojan...), but I am curious about 1) how many AmpHours you'll get, and 2) if this is enabled by your new "Outback" setup (i.e. bigger propane/battery box).   The best I could do was to replace the marine battery we got on sale with an AGM 84 Ahr group 24...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Jenn...sorry I can't directly answer your question (I would go with Trojan...), but I am curious about 1) how many AmpHours you'll get, and 2) if this is enabled by your new "Outback" setup (i.e. bigger propane/battery box).   The best I could do was to replace the marine battery we got on sale with an AGM 84 Ahr group 24...

Thanks, J.D. - I have not changed the battery box or added a platform, so I will be using angle to act as a platform as @normfun
    and others have done. I am hoping that and solar will allow me to stretch boondocking a bit. I will report back.

I have 90 watts of solar and will need more. My decision was between adding more solar or improving the battery capacity, first. Since my first extended boondocking will come this fall, I opted for the extended battery capacity. I will probably be adding more solar, later.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I may go the 6v route.  The propane/battery box on the Outback is the same size as the plastic one.

Jenn
    I'm sure you already found the youtube vid of the dual 6volts mounted inside a standard tab propane/battery box. Sorry, can't link right now,  the guys "name" was Rallylsetta

Sorry, no direct exp, but my research indicated the Lifeline batteries are the top rated and super silly expensive, and the Trojan appeared to be the next in line.  As you have found out, other brands like Interstate have been successfully used.  

When I do mine I'm going Trojan.

good luck.

• Options
    Yup, that is it

I should add that I have 6v interstate battery experience.  I have a dual set in my wife's power chair.  They produce a tremendous amount of power and move that almost 400lb chair at a brisk pace for a good amount of time.  

I did did kill a set because I let the voltage drop to low and they would no longer take a charge.  Since I replaced them I have heard there is a technique to bring them back to life that sometimes works.  Moral is, keep them charged.  
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Jenn...thanks...my 80W Zamp solar only produces 4amps with full sun, not much more than a trickle charger, so I agree with your thought to increase for boondocking (we're good for 2-3 days)

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Jenn...thanks...my 80W Zamp solar only produces 4amps with full sun, not much more than a trickle charger, so I agree with your thought to increase for boondocking (we're good for 2-3 days)
    Yes, and the fall (foliage time) can be overcast, even in Colorado. The last couple of times that I was there in late September - early October, we had rain.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    One word - Generator :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    One word - Generator :-)

I seriously considered this one. It gets very good reviews, from people who have Honda generators. http://www.amazon.com/WEN-56200i-Gas-Powered-Generator-2000-watt/dp/B00SMNLF4M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437002279&sr=8-3&keywords=wen+generator&pebp=1437002275739&perid=1BVQYXQAE4XYJK1Q68S7

• Options
    So, I didn't buy any of it from Amazon on Prime Day. :)

The best price I found from the battery box was eBay.

I found the Trojan T-10 batteries for about $150 a piece from a local supplier who will deliver to my house.

• Options
    Jenn - I stuck with the Honda 2000i because there seems to be a Honda dealer in almost every town (even smaller ones) in case you need service.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Jenn you're on the right track. Trojan is good. Like I said I'm cheap. Good price on the box too. I will have 200 watts of mounted solar and a port to add another portable 100 watt panel. I know I can go 4 days without solar and still have 70% battery. You will do fine. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Thanks, @normfun ! Did you remove the original battery, or do you keep that as a back-up?

• Options
    I removed the original so I could install a second propane tank. Because around here winter happens. And you never know when. We camped in snow in August before. 

• Options
    normfun said:
    I removed the original so I could install a second propane tank. Because around here winter happens. And you never know when. We camped in snow in August before. 
    I have thought about that. I actually have a spare 20lb tank I could use. Did you have to move the original tank holder and add a second brace?

• Options
    I didn't move the original. When I got the battery box out I found a metal platform under it. The new tank is strapped/bolted to that platform. It's very solid. The hose will reach either tank. Picture is a rest fit with bungee cords. 

• Options
    There is plenty of room for both in there! How awesome is that? Nice! I have also considered keeping the battery box and using it to store sewer accessories (chemicals, gloves, etc) but this seems almost too good to pass up.

Are you sick of my questions yet? How did you strap/bolt it down?

• Options
    I'm not at all sick of your questions.  That is what this forum is all about.  I am actually on my third version of extra tank hold downs.  All have worked fine but the first used all bungee cords and was very time consuming to undo  to refill the tanks.  The second used 3 relatively heavy ratchet straps, better but overkill.  I am currently using a little lighter 1 inch 2000b strap attached to a metal S hook.  This is very secure and yet easy to undo to refill the tanks.  I have 3 strap hooks on the spare tank.  After several thousand miles of towing it has not moved at all.  So far so good.  As with everything though your milage may vary  ;)

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    That generator is quieter than a Honda.
    it says it ships in 3 to 8 months can that be true? Better order early.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    I think you can but it from other places now. A lot of reviews by Bine customer reviewers, so it is probably a brand new product. I think l, in general, Wen generators get pretty good reviews but this is their first inverter generator.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    For me noise is the biggest issue. We have a Powerhouse 2000 and it is louder than I would like. I bought it because it has an electric start with remote. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    For me noise is the biggest issue. We have a Powerhouse 2000 and it is louder than I would like. I bought it because it has an electric start with remote. 
    Yup.  Even the Honda.  I bought the Honda because I have had such great success with their cars and motorcycles, but even as quiet as it is I run it only during mid day and even then time appears to move ever so slowly until I can shut it off.  

Jenn

That Wen generator sounds like a great deal.  The reviews sure are good.  If I had known about the Wen when I was generator shopping I might have one now instead of the Honda.  Be sure to keep us posted how you like it if you get one.  
  • Options
    Says the deaf man... I find the noise level depends somewhat on where you position the Honda and what direction the muffler points. But, the bigger issue I find is all the other generators in the campground. Some of those big rig generators are pretty noisy. I don't find many campgrounds that police the generator noise very vigorously. They endorse the hours but not the dB levels.
  • Options
    Rad said:
    Yup.  Even the Honda.  I bought the Honda because I have had such great success with their cars and motorcycles, but even as quiet as it is I run it only during mid day and even then time appears to move ever so slowly until I can shut it off.  

Jenn

That Wen generator sounds like a great deal.  The reviews sure are good.  If I had known about the Wen when I was generator shopping I might have one now instead of the Honda.  Be sure to keep us posted how you like it if you get one.  
    Rad, it will likely be few months, possibly even the spring, but I will let you know. Evidently, Home Depot sells them, too.

My Trojan batteries were delivered today. The total was $277 and Dan, the owner, was a really nice guy. I highly recommend them if you are in the Pittsburgh area and need batteries.

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Says the deaf man... 
    I hear ya, sort of.......just another body part that has seen better days.  

As as for generator noise, my Honda is waaaaaaaaaay quieter than my big Class C Onan generator was.  
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @normfunand other battery experts, does this diagram look right? Disclaimer: drawing is not my forte.

(Drawing removed so as not to confuse readers.)

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
     No, that is NOT right Jenn. The RED wire from your Zamp will go to the + terminal on the LEFT battery and the Black wire will go on the - terminal on the RIGHT battery. That way you will be charging BOTH batteries at 12 volts. The way you have it drawn up you would be putting 12 volts into a 6 volt battery. LOL, and please be careful. With 2, 6 volt golf car batteries you have a lot of WOMP---!
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have 12 volt in parallel, but as I recall you should bring in the zamp  from the left + and complete circuit on right battery negative.  The switch should be on the + side as I recall.  Here is a diagram from the web.

• Options
     No, that is NOT right Jenn. The RED wire from your Zamp will go to the + terminal on the LEFT battery and the Black wire will go on the - terminal on the RIGHT battery. That way you will be charging BOTH batteries at 12 volts. The way you have it drawn up you would be putting 12 volts into a 6 volt battery. LOL, and please be careful. With 2, 6 volt golf car batteries you have a lot of WOMP---!
    Thanks! That's why I drew it out for input. I will draw it again.

• Options
    mash2 said:
    The switch should be on the + side as I recall.  Here is a diagram from the web.

From what I have read and watched it is safer to run the switch from the negative side. I think, it will work either way and there are people who feeling strongly about each.