Options

Are the window shades and screens on the new T@Bs up side down?

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
There is a thread on Face Book T@B that suggests the screen/shades on the newer tabs are up side down. That it makes more since to have the shade at the bottom and the screen at the top. That way the shade can provide privacy on the bottom and allow ventilation at the top. Makes good sense to me. What are your thoughts?
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Interesting thought.

Not sure it really matters.

I guess it would depend more on how tall the 'peeping tom' is.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Interesting observation, maybe I will flip mine over if at all possible.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I thought it was odd also, the opposite of our windows in our homes.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Works fine for me the way it is. If reversed so you could leave ventting at the top, it wouldn't take a tall person to still see in. Even I could peep. The T@B windows just aren't that high.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sgtjohn said:
    I thought it was odd also, the opposite of our windows in our homes.
    Hmmm, I'm confused.

Our (2014) Tab screens come up from the bottom, and the shades come down from the top.

Sgt, what do your shades at home do?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    The shades are designed and installed with the screen coming from the bottom and the shade coming from the top.

With the older shade and screen set that is the only way they would work as the shade is spring loaded and has to be able to grab onto holes built into the frame.  I think the newer shades, which started to be used last year, are accordion like like the newer screen door is, and are not spring loaded, so they theoretically could be installed and work upside down.

Personally, that is how I would install them were I to switch out, which I have thought about doing.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I think there is little doubt that the current system is representative of a typical home window shade set up.  Almost no home units rise from the bottom unless they are the two way system that raises and lowers from either direction.

The question really is, should the T@B shades be installed upside down in order to meet a slightly different need than a home window shade does? Could be, I could see a slight advantage with ventilation vs visibility. I don't think I would bother to change mine. 
  • Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    My husband would like to change ours, do to the zombies.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I saw the FB photo, it looks odd to me - but that is just personal preference.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    When my brother built his house many years ago, the builder installed one window upside down in the kitchen (over the sink) so the internal blind goes up - Has bugged me for years - just seems unnatural.
  • Options
    BWidgetBWidget Member Posts: 35
    With the screen at the top, maybe there is not as much air flow since the window itself opens from the bottom.
    Bill from Los Angeles Arizona
    2015 T@B S Maxx Outback
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    BWidget said:
    With the screen at the top, maybe there is not as much air flow since the window itself opens from the bottom.
    Bingo, we have a winner
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2015
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LilredroverLilredrover Member Posts: 7
    For whatever it's worth I love having the shades coming up from the bottom.  We just camped last night and I found it convenient to be able to leave the shade down a couple inches on top allowing airflow but maintaining a little more privacy.  It's all about personal preference I suppose!