Options

Power tongue Jack cost less than a buck

2»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @BrianZ the Dewalt drill @Verna mentions is by far, the best option but as she indicated you have to use it a lot to justify the expense. I have often considered getting one but cannot justify the cost, just yet.

I have a Black and Decker 18v lithium and it has been awesome! Like the Dewalt, the charge lasts forever. I think both Ryobi and and B&D use interchangeable batteries on their stuff so you probably cannot go wrong with either of those brands.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I recommend 18 volts or greater. I can’t remember the last time I used a corded drill. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thank you all, I picked up a 20V DeWalt 1/2" cordless Drill/Driver with brushless motor and two lithium batteries that was 1/3 off regular price through today at Lowes (same price on Amazon, so I guess a manufacturer incentive).  It will be nice to have a clutch again.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    In reading this topic, I was intrigued by @Mercator's link & question about whether a stabilizer crank bit could fit over the hex bolt in order to provide more ways to crank the jack.  To that end, I found the parts shown below that might work..

We received the drill adapter at upper right as part of an accessories kit from the dealer, but never used it.  To answer Mercator's question, this one does not fit over the 3/4" hex head of the 1/2" bolt, but it does fit over a 3/8" bolt.  Moreover, the 3/8" bolt fits perfectly inside of a 1/2" steel tube.  So, I  think it should be possible to use the combination of 3/8" bolt inside a half inch steel tube as a crank axle, by inserting the gear's roll pin through a hole drilled through both tube & bolt.  Then, by adding a second pin on the outside of the gear box through only the bolt, it would allow the jack to be cranked by the drill adapter, while still providing a hex nut for use with a socket driver.  This would allow the stabilizer drill adapter to be used for both the jack & the stabilizers, while allowing the manual stabilizer crank to be used as backup for both.
    Another option might be to file down the 1/2" bolt's hex head to fit inside the adapter.
    Still wondering if one of these approaches would work & offer an advantage.  Any thoughts?

• Options
    I welded a 3/4” nut onto the stabilizer. That way one socket fits all four. Rear  Scissor jacks, front stabilizers, tongue jack, and 1/2” lag screws I use for stakes. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    That's a really nice solution, @Dalehelman!  Being able to weld is a real bonus sometimes.
    I guess one can always use a manual socket wrench as backup, or maybe one of these..

I actually used this & a manual saw to build a fence during a 5-day power outage after a hurricane.  It worked very well for drilling holes & would probably work well as a manual socket driver.
    Thinking I will probably just go with the single half inch bolt, since drilling the pin hole manually will be a bit of a challenge, and trying to go through two pieces & get them aligned & centered may be even more difficult without a drill press.  Would be stronger too.
  • Options
    Once again, thank you @Dalehelman for a great mod idea.  Of all the mods I've done, I think this one is going to have the greatest bang for the buck, both literally & considering how easy it was to install versus the huge payoff in time & effort that will be saved in setting up, packing up, hooking & unhooking.  Zip, zip, and you're done!  It's nice!  Wife loves it too.

I got an adapter like this to fit my half inch socket to the drill..

Also picked up a 5/32" & 7/64" DeWalt Cobalt drill bits made for heavy steel.  I used a fine point nail set with a solid strike from the hammer to indent the bolt where I wanted to drill, then used the smaller bit to get a centered hole started while holding the bolt in a vice.  Then finished the hole with the 5/32 bit and used an larger nail set to punch out the roll pin.  The whole thing was easier than I expected, including sawing off the threaded end of the bolt, which I filed smooth.  I left both ends sticking out about a half inch.

Using the drill also solves another issue for us - the discussion we sometimes have about how tight to crank down the stabilizers.  Now we can just set the drill clutch to some arbitrary number in the middle of the range, like 8 or 10, then let the drill decide when to stop tightening.

• Options
    Hey @Dalehelman, I just realized that removing the crank handle may also have security benefits, because a potential thief would need to have a drill to jack up the trailer, so one more deterrent besides a coupler lock.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BrianZ, don’t get overconfident. The thieves that were stealing catalytic converters were bringing their own battery operated reciprocating saws with spare batteries!  Sometimes thieves are smarter than we give them credit. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Well, at least the casual inexperienced ones, maybe not the real pros.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Let me say it again - this is my all time favorite mod. Thanks again Dale!! I use my drill on the tongue jack, stabilizers and BAL leveler. I make sure the drill battery is fully charged as well as the backup battery before each trip.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2019
    Terrific mod!  I think I saw that someone was using a grade 5 bolt: I used stainless to reduce rusting and added a nylon washer at the head to protect the painted surface of the jack.  Drilling went well with a cobalt bit at slow speed with cutting oil.  Thanks!
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    A very eazy way to drill out the 1/2 bolt FOR THE 5/32 pin hole directly into its center is to first after removing the pin and the old shaft, then after slding the 1/2 inch boldt in, slip a 5/32 OUTSIDE DIAMETER or smaller brass hollow tube right down the gear till it touches the 1/2 inch boldt, while it is on the jack, then using a smaller drill that fits into the INSIDE of the brass tube, it will guide you threw the center of the boldt then use a 5/32 drill to enlarge it for the pin.  The brass tube does 2 things, protects the gear hole from getting larger and centers the drill bit perfectly on the 1/2 inch boldt! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @gulfarea
    Super great tip thanks for your in put.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman Thank you for your great idea! I will be doing this mod VERY SOON! As I have the jack e up I can turn the jack so I can put my drill in from the driver side avoiding hitting the spare tire with the but end of the drill. Art
  • Options
    DukeHewettDukeHewett Member Posts: 41
    Thank you Dalehelman.    Question:  I noticed the small yellow spirit levels on the tongue in front of the jack.   Did you first use a longer level on the INTERIOR FLOOR of the T@B to establish when the trailer was level front to back and side to side?  We did this on our T@B, but placed the small bubble levels in areas on the trailer less susceptible to leakage or movement.   In actuality, we have found that leveling is important, but the accuracy does not have to be "that important" so long as you can sleep comfortably.   Duke Hewett (accused of being half-a-bubble off many times)
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I'm glad this post resurfaced - it and the "plan B" item Dale built is the best setup efficiency mod I've seen including the 1/2 " lag bolts for tent staking. sic "One Drill to Rule them all"

Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    I really do miss our T@B. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman Thanks SO much for your mod! I just completed it and can't believe how fast it goes up or down! It would take about 85 turns by hand before but now it is so fast I can't believe it! As I understand young folks might not need this mod but for me it means I can continue riving much longer in my old age! Art
  • Options
    At 76 I have the same issues. Makes my day when I can help someone. Comp on.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @Dalehelman I am only 1 year behind you! How long do you think we can keep going?  This lady drove her motorhome from Florida to Quartzite at 90 years of age! Art see this https://youtu.be/JEuTfWJprJA
  • Options
    We sold our Tab about a year ago. Then bought ourselves another boat. We live about 10 minutes from lake Coeur d’Alene in northern Idaho. Kinda miss our Tab, but we no longer go south for the winter. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Thanks for sharing that photo Dale (would have been better if your lovely wife was in it).  I know I speak for many when I say we so miss the inventiveness, ingenuity and practicality of your mods.  You were, and always will be, a treasure to the T@B community.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I still follow the forum regularly. The forum’s FB or the Ranger Tug’ s is not very active and not as nearly as much as the Tab forum. Is it just me or has the Tab forum slowed some. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun