Options

Brake controller-Curt Echo vs Tekonsha Prodigy RF

jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
While I am waiting on the delivery of my new Ultimate Toys camper, I have been procuring all of the fun bits and pieces to support my new adventure.  One item remains… which brake controller do you recommend? I do not want to hardwire into my tv (Volvo xc-40). What have your experiences been with these two?  Pros and cons. Cheers!
Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
Volvo XC-40
SF Bay Area, California

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    edited July 2022
    Etrailer has good info on the Prodigy.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/TK94FR.html

We have used the Prodigy RF for 5 years.  Reliable, easy to set up and adjust.  You do not need to rely on a phone.  Our Bluetooth signal from the minivan has been completely reliable.  Good customer service - our hand held device failed while out in Utah.  We contacted Tekonsha and they shipped a new device to our next campground.  The unit continues to work at the prior settings in the event the hand unit fails.  You need a charge wire, but you don’t need a brake wire (we installed one anyway to have a complete 7 pin).  No complaints here.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Read through this active related thread. 
    Echo Brake Controller and Grabby Brakes Question - Page 3 (vanillacommunity.com)
    The last post is from an Echo user who describes how he overcomes the ghosts in the unit. He uses it only at highway speeds and turns it off whenever he is driving under 30 mph forcing the TV to do the braking.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    I'm in the Prodigy camp. Installed in May 2016 with the acquisition of our t@b. 45,000 safe, functional miles, interstate, state, county and  farm roads. When our original tow vehicle was totalled, by getting rear-ended, we just plugged the controller into the replacement vehicle. Family members have borrowed the trailer and the controller has moved flawlessly to their vehicles and between our multiple tow vehicles. Second best purchase we've ever made, with the t@b being #1!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Every person I have known With the Curt unit has had problems.Grabby brakes, c9btroller falling out, etc.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited July 2022
    We are new to the camper world with only about 3,000 miles under our belts with the T@B, but the Prodigy has worked flawlessly. Can't speak to the Curt.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2022
    @tabiphile Thanks for pointing that thread out! I have a Curt Echo controller and it had the grabby problem until I was able to find an adjustment procedure that works "for now" for me. The dealer where we bought our trailer provided the controller.

I did post the procedure in that thread and maybe it will help other folks. Anyway I will continue to use the Curt Echo, but if it acts up again it's really great to know that there our options out there! Thanks all!
    2001 Toyota Sequoia || 2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    Another one you may want to look at is the the ReDarc Liberty. I had the Curt (two actually, they sent me a replacement) and it gave me a lot of problems. I would develop a mind of it's own at times so I finally replace it it with the ReDarc. Nice thing about it is that it doesn't take up room underneath dash like some of the others where you can knock you knee on it. Just a little rotatable knob. Had worked flawlessly for 2 years. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The standard ReDarc (has off-road feature) ismrhe one Jeep is using for their OEM brake controller on the Gladiator, the wee knob control unit replaces the 12-VDC (cig lighter) on the dash.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SprocketSprocket Member Posts: 46
    I have the echo.  I hate it. If I had it to do over, I would not get it.   My brakes are grabby.   I had my mechanic check my brakes. I have talked to Curt three times, and I am using the recommended pairing procedure.  Those conversations have made a difference, and it is better. But the brakes are still more grabby than I would like.   Every time I stop the car, I have to redo the pairing process. It is also a bit of a pain to have your phone be in use as a part of the brake controller. 
    Subaru Wilderness/Tab320s 2022
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Just wanted to share this screenshot posted to the TaG forum.  This may be an excellent option and you can reserve your main phone for communication, etc.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, I thought about using an old cell phone, but the ones I had were too old :(
    A cheap Tracphone is an excellent idea. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 147
    Our 400 came with an AuTOWbrake wireless controller and it has worked flawlessly.  Not sure of feature or cost differences with Prodigy but may be worth checking out.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    + @RMo we love our Autowbrake, I second flawless operation. IMHO it would be hard to top this brake controller. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    RVMikeRVMike Member Posts: 24
    Just today, 7/17/22, I finished the install of a Redarc Two-Pro Liberty brake controller, with diode, in our Subaru. The controller works great.  Wiring up under the dash was tough.
    Mike and Priscilla, White Salmon, WA
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge, 2020 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    RVMikeRVMike Member Posts: 24
    I  went to the Autowbrake website. That unit sounds great.  The price seems high but if I add up all the stuff I had to buy to install the Tow-Pro, the price is almost the same.  I would have saved a lot of work and worry and study had I known about the Autowbrake.  I  am happy with my Tow-Pro though.
    Mike and Priscilla, White Salmon, WA
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge, 2020 Subaru Outback