About to Be 2023 T@B 400 Owners

gfreid09gfreid09 Member Posts: 14
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 2023 T@B 400 (Boondock package).  We are told it should arrive mid-late August.  We have been renting campervans for a while, but have decided the teardrop trailer is better suited to us needs and budget.  We have a Subaru Ascent Premium and will have it set up for a hitch according to our dealer's recommendations.  We are brand new to towing a teardrop and are a little nervous about it. Any advice (and reassurance!) anyone can provide is most welcome!  We're looking forward to being part of the Nucamp community. 

Comments

• manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Welcome!

One thing to make sure is that you have the wiring needed for a brake controller. This may already be pre-installed or may have to be run by the dealer. It sounds like the Ascents all come with the necessary upgrades (upgraded transmission cooling, etc) minus the hitch that you’re getting. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • gfreid09gfreid09 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks!  I’ll be having the break controller installed by the Rv dealer. 
  • RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    We used to have the same combination before.

2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
    Thanks RayJim.  Recently I traded my Outback in for the Ascent for just this reason.  I hope it was a good choice.  Did you have any issues/concerns towing the 400 with the Ascent?  Anything I should pay special attention to?
    I stopped using the Subaru hitch because it weighs about 60lb and started using a CURT 45036 Trailer Hitch Mount that weighs only 5lbs, that's 55lbs less weight on your Subaru, you just have to turn it upside down to get proper height. Also, if you're getting the boondock be careful when backing up not to turn to tight, or the aluminum racks on the boondock will come in to contact with the bumper resulting in damage to the radar sensor, cost close to a $1,000 to repair. As far as towing the Ascent we had no issues towing with it and average on level ground close to 15mpg. Lastly carful when you open the trunk it won't clear the jack and will dent your hatchback.
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @RayJim
    Do you have any method of sway control for your Ascent when towing a T@B400? 
    i.e. weight distribution hitch, or sway bar or electronic sway control.

2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @gfreid09 congratulations on your trailer and welcome to the forum. Great people, amazing knowledge and a wealth of experience and problem solving at your fingertips!
    Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    I believe you're not supposed to use a sway bar with the Ascent due to its unibody construction. I never used one, nor did I ever experience any sway, even when driving in extremely windy condition around Palm Springs California.
    @RayJim I think the sway control @jimcenname is referring to is friction sway control which is just a single bar connected to the tongue and hitch. Those are pretty basic and not the weight distribution hitches with sway control. Those could definitely mess up a unibody vehicle if used improperly. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    Thanks all!  Very helpful. I’m amazed at the resources, helpful advice and encouragement to be found in this forum. We’re excited about becoming T@B owners and looking forward to our first trip later this summer. We’re thinking of a short trip to a campground, perhaps in Southern Vermont or New Hampshire to get our feet wet. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Make sure you driveway camp before going too far from home.  Try out all your systems and get to know your TaB before venturing out.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Make sure you driveway camp before going too far from home.  Try out all your systems and get to know your TaB before venturing out.
    That's a great idea!  Are there any issues related to plugging into the house with the shore power set up (other than an adapter)?
  • qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Welcome to the forum @gfreid09. We use our garage outlet with an adapter with no issues but there is a caveat. Make sure you check the rating for the house circuit at your breaker box. It is likely 20 amp or it may be 15 amp. The systems in your new 400 can exceed that circuit load depending on what you turn on. The CoolCat AC is a biggest draw, and the Alde on the electric heat setting has a 1KW and 2 KW setting. If you have a microwave that can add more draw. From the advice of others here I make sure to have all systems and battery disconnect to OFF when I plug into the garage, then I turn on the systems I need. Do the opposite when disconnecting to prevent any surge that might blow a fuse. Speaking of fuses, check out the systems that are fused, from the converter to the Alde, and get some spares as these can be hard to come by when out camping. Take it slow and you will begin to understand your trailer and that will allow you to worry less and have more fun. Your trailer is well made is will operate great in nearly every instance. Enjoy!

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • CormFECormFE Member Posts: 10
    Welcome. We also have put in an order for the 2023 T@B 400 Boondock. We just sold our T@B 2016 Outback. You will not be disappointed in these campers or the company. We are so excited to get our D@wG House II
    Happy camping!
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock // TV: 2021 Dodge Durango - Location: Gander, Newfoundland, Canada
    There are differing opinions on whether you need a surge protector but I would definitely invest in one. We’ve already saved our camper from being fried due to a power cable that had reversed polarity. We have a hard wired one which, to me, is the way to go. You never have to think about it or lug it around. It’s just mounted behind the lower drawer under the wardrobe closet. Saved our butt from potential disaster.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    And remember, any additional equipment you install on a trailer reduces the cargo capacity of the trailer by the weight of the equipment being added.  Whilst a hard wired power surge control unit is handy, it is still heavy, and takes away from the trailer,ER’s cargo capacity, as does a full tank of water, which is about 260 lbs for the TaB400.  You do need to keep track of how much weight you put into the trailer.  After water and propane, you are left with around 600 lbs of cargo capacity.  It adds up quickly.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @gfreid09 - to protect the TaB wiring and appliances it is always best to use a surge protector.  An Electrical Management System (EMS) is better as it will also react to low voltage which is harmful as well.  I have been to private and state campgrounds that had pedestals with open grounds that had been hit by a vehicle.  They are not always maintained.  I have returned to our trailer following an electrical storm to find that our EMS saved our bacon.  As far as your house is concerned, we just found out that we had an improper ground, so you never know.  Just make it a habit and it is one less thing to worry about.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Thanks again to you all for this helpful advice.  So much to learn!  What a great resource this forum is, especially for newbies like us.  
  • richardspahnrichardspahn Member Posts: 17
    @gfreid09 - to protect the TaB wiring and appliances it is always best to use a surge protector.  An Electrical Management System (EMS) is better as it will also react to low voltage which is harmful as well.  I have been to private and state campgrounds that had pedestals with open grounds that had been hit by a vehicle.  They are not always maintained.  I have returned to our trailer following an electrical storm to find that our EMS saved our bacon.  As far as your house is concerned, we just found out that we had an improper ground, so you never know.  Just make it a habit and it is one less thing to worry about.  
    Victron 3000 controller on 2023 lithium option will supplement low voltage and cut off when necessary. An EMS that shuts down on low voltage will cause you to have to reset your Victron and lose valuable charging time. I do recommend an outlet pole mount dongle protector with a high voltage, and polarity...and an indicator only for low voltage

These comments and suggestions have all be very helpful.  As we await the arrival of our T@B 400, I've been reviewing the 2022 owner's manual online.  I have to say, its rather intimidating.  Did you experienced folks out there have a similar feeling when you first started out?  As I mentioned in my initial post, we have some RV experience, but as renters, not owners.  We're looking forward to this next step, but want to go into this as well informed as possible.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    It is easy to get overwhelmed by something new, like,the YaB, and it’s manual.
    like any project, break in down into the major components, the Nautilus control system, which sounds complicated, but is actually quite a simp,e manifold valve setup.  Next is the Alde, works like most radiant heating systems, not hard to work out, and the Cool Car AC works like most home window type AC, but with a remote control, and is simple in its operation.

Towing the trailer is the biggie for most new owners, and a little practice and experience here, you will soon get the hang of it.  A good check list when you start out is a big help.  Getting the TaB ready, is just a series of relatively simple tasks, joined together.  Just take it one step at a time, and enjoy…
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Great advice, Denny16.  Thanks for the encouragement!
  • marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 129
    I was terrified when I arrived at the dealer to pick up my 2021 T@b 400 two years ago.  This was my first (and likely only) RV, and my towing experience was limited to a small utility trailer.  It certainly seems daunting to learn how to operate and maintain all the systems - after all, this is a tiny house on wheels.  But I have become more proficient and confident over time and still learn something new on a regular basis.  

As you have already discovered, this forum is an incredible wealth of knowledge, and seasoned members graciously answer newbie questions over and over.  Reading through old posts will yield tiny nuggets of helpful information.  I also find following various RV You Tubers, even the big riggers, provides valuable tips and tricks to make my experience more enjoyable.

Welcome to the club, and enjoy the journey.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota