Options

Brand of new Alde glycol

We are in the middle of changing out out Alde glycol.  We bought what we thought was Rhomer rg rtu 50, but the container is labeled Jeffcool P-150.  The seller says it’s the same stuff but the internet says it’s red.  

I can’t get thru to Truma.  Does anyone know anything about this glycol.
2020 T@B 320 BD u / Toyota 4-runner / Whitefish MT

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,310
    Not an answer to your question, but can you tell me where you purchased and the cost? Will be following to hear what the group has to say.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Not the same stuff, as far as I can tell.  I would return that stuff and contact a nüCamp dealer of choice, and get the correct Rhomar fluid from them.  I think going through nüCamp is going to be your best price, from what has been reported here.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    SagillerSagiller Member Posts: 7
    We got the address of a Rhomer dealer in MT from Rhomer website.  It’s Northwest Pipe Fitting in Kalispell.  I was very specific with the sales guy that I wanted Rhomer rg rtu 50.  They said they had a 5 gal container for $185.  So I went to pick it up and made the mistake of not reading the label when the guy loaded it into my car.  It say Jeffcool P-150.  there was no other info other that caution statements,  we haven’t opened it. 

I called them back today and they said this is the same chemical content a s RHomer and is what they are selling normal commercial users.  Their receipt does say Rhomer rg rtu.

We have completed all steps (drain old stuff, rinse with water and then distilled water).  It was just then when we noticed different labeling.

now we’re scrambling to find Century TF stuff since we’re expecting hard freeze this weekend.  No one seems to have the Rhomer in our immediate (driving) area including Nucamp dealer n Missoula.  Instead, I can drive 3 hours to Missoula to get 4 gal of Century for $85 per gal.

will be calling Truma tomorrow AM in hopes they say the Jeffcool stuff is ok.

very frustrating, after the drain and rinse went really well.
  • Options
    Boomerb77Boomerb77 Member Posts: 17
    Amazon has Century TF 1 stuff for about $60/gallon.
    2021 400 BD / 2020  F-150, 3.5L EcoBoost / NE Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,715
    The fact is: we just don't know.  Truma keeps the ingredients all "secret".  The product described here could be exactly the same as the Rhomar or the Century.  But, we are not allowed to know. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2022
    @Sagiller, are you camping or at home right now.  If at home, just drain all your tanks, drain the Alde hot water and Flo tanks with the yellow pressure relief valves (in the Alde compartment on the floor), and blow out the water lines, to give you a basic wintering job for the upcoming freeze.  This should buy you some time to get the fluid issue sorted.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 625
    @Denny16, His concern is the water in the Alde glycol circuit that has distilled water in it.  Regular winterizing won't protect the glycol circuit.

@Sagiller, I'm not familiar with the 320 circuit, but can you get to both hoses off the reservoir and use a shop vac to pull the remaining distilled water out?
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 468
    The fact is: we just don't know.  Truma keeps the ingredients all "secret".  The product described here could be exactly the same as the Rhomar or the Century.  But, we are not allowed to know. 
    To be fair, it's Rohmar that considers two of the ingredients on the safety data sheet "proprietary". It still is 98% propylene glycol and water though. Is it really better than the previous Century TF-1 or did Rohmar merely underbid Century we don't know. 
  • Options
    SagillerSagiller Member Posts: 7
    I called Truma this morning to check on Jeffcool glycol.  I got what I think is a call center person who was going thru script.  She asked me for a ‘product code’ on the container, which I found.  It was 733350.  She said that wasn’t on their list of compatible glycols.  Supposedly the list of code is somewhere on their website. 

So I got some of Century TF 1 glycol and we just finished the filling of system and testing of heat.  All seems well.   

An additional issue for us is that we are planning a monthlong trip over Christmas and we will want the Alde to be working as we’ll be boondocking a bit in chilly weather.

The service guys I talked to at the NuCamp dealer in Missoula did not know much about the changing of the glycol, or why they can’t get Rhomer.   I don’t have much faith in them now for anything nucamp.

A gazillion thanks to the creator of the great How To pdf.  We had no problems doing all the steps.  A tip we figured out is to run the output (excess) hose outside the camper via the outside shower area.  We could flush everything out into a bucket and not worry about spills inside.