Options

alcohol free antifreeze/not available in my county

The ethanol free antifreeze does not exist in my area.  Nucamp recommends a brand called Purf Century.  Do I absolutely need this ethanol free antifreeze for my 2021 tab 400 boondock for winterization?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Ethanol is poisonous if you get some in you.  You are pumping this stuff in your water lines…  Your call, but personally, I wouldn’t use the stuff in my water system.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 161
    Denny16 said:
    Ethanol is poisonous if you get some in you.  You are pumping this stuff in your water lines…  Your call, but personally, I wouldn’t use the stuff in my water system.
     Cheers 
    Poisonous, technically, but...most of us drink low concentrations of ethanol recreationally. It's isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) and methanol (wood alcohol / bad distilling byproduct) one usually might encounter and want to avoid. 

@PaulKethley - the short answer here is 'no', you don't. The ethanol that's present in many brands of RV antifreeze will accelerate breakdown of rubber gaskets/seals, but it's not going to do so in a single season. I'd avoid if if possible, but if it's not an option, this is a 'something is better than nothing' situation. You might also look into the 'blowout' method (search here on the forums) as an alternative method for winterizing. 

Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @PaulKethley, I  assume you may be referring to this..
    https://www.centurychemical.com/winter-pruf-antifreeze/
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    How about this Prestone RV antifreeze..
    RV/Waterline Antifreeze RVs, Pools, Boats and Seasonal Homes - 1 gal (-100° F) https://a.co/d/1BQaXJR
    Says safe for water system components.
    Cheaper at a local Walmart.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods