Options

Double checking winterizing 2018 T@B 400

I just finished winterizing our 2018 T@B 400. I've done this 3 times now, but I still want to check my procedure. I use the antifreeze method. 

My main question this year, is how much antifreeze do you really need in the tank? I do not blow out my lines. Creed's YouTube video says 4-5 gallons, but I'm finding that 2 seems to be enough. My steps:
1. Drain all fresh water, including low point drains and Alde drain. Drain gray tank. 
2. Bypass Alde. 
3. Add 2 gallons of RV antifreeze to freshwater tank. Turn on water pump.
4. Turn on each faucet and shower, hot then cold, until pink comes out. Flush toilet until pink is in the bowl, and covering the seal. Run outdoor shower, hot then cold, until pink comes out. 
5. Put a cup or so of RV antifreeze down each drain, including the shower drain. 
6. Quickly pull the black and gray valves to get a bit of antifreeze in them. Open low point drains until pink comes out. 

Done, right? Do I really need that extra 2 gallons of RV antifreeze in the fresh tank as Creed said to do, or is 2 enough? 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    As long as you completely drained your plumbing (including emptying the supply to the toilet) and each tap ran pink, you should be good to go.  I think you really should blow out your lines though.  Anything to reduce the chance of eliminating pools of water that can then dilute the concentration of antifreeze.  But, if you have gotten away with it for this long…!

Do you have the Flow?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @Sharon_is_SAM I think I do have the Alde flow, since I have the 3020. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    You can look under your bunk on the driver’s side and see if there is a small red and black tank aft of the Alde boiler.  Not all 3020 Alde units in 2018 have the Flow tank, our 2018 TaB400 hasmrhenA
    de 3020, but missed getting the Flow tank  by one or two months.  :|
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    So, @Sharon_is_SAM and @Denny16 if I have the Alde flow, does it change the winterizing procedure?

My main question still is, is 2 gallons enough in the fresh tank if all the faucets and the toilet run pink? Or do I still need 1 or 2 more gallons as in the NuCamp Creed video? 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Yes, once you get the pink stuff coming out all the faucets, make sure to do the outside shower have ever used it, it will have water in its lines that need flushing.  

If you have the Flo, you can also see it from the outside door where the low point drains are, or at least the 2nd yellow flipper valve, be sure to lift both yellow valves (one for the Flo and one for the main boiler to insure the Alde boiler and Flo are drained.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @Deb55 - if you have the Flow, just make sure it is drained by the yellow flapper valve.  Bypassing the Alde will bypass the Flow.
    2 gallons is enough if antifreeze comes out of each tap/toilet.  No reason to leave any extra antifreeze in the water tank.

Using less means, less sitting in the tank and less draining and rinsing in the spring!
  • Options
    @Denny16 @Sharon_is_SAM thanks. I'll check for flapper valves tomorrow. What I did do, was open the three low point drains until no water came out. I assumed one of the 3 was for the Alde, but I also noticed a yellow valve way in the back. And yes, I did make sure that the outdoor shower ran pink.

I'm probably overthinking this, but I lost the notes I took on winterizing, so I'm trying to be sure I remembered everything from last year! 
  • Options
    Yes, the 2018 TaB400 has a hot water low point drain, but if you have the Flo tank, the low point drain doesn’t get all the water from it.  The best way to check this, is to pull back Yorgen’s rear bunk, and lift the driver’s side bed panel up, it is hinged, no screws to remove, and you can see the yellow pressure relief valve(s) and if you have the flow tank, shown below:

The two yellow pressure relief drain valves shown with yellow arrows.

The Alde red Flow tank is circled in blue, and one of the yellow pressure relief valves circled in red, are shown above in a late 2018/2019 TaB400.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    @deb55 it is highly unlikely you have a flo with your 2018 400 as you and I purchased campers from DuFours from the same trailer load of 400’s. My 400 is configured with an Alde 3020, 2 6v AGMs but no flo system. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    @DenisP thanks! Just out of curiosity, did your 400 come with an inverter? Ours did not. I don't miss it, but it seems like most 400s have one. 
  • Options
    @deb55 Yes my 400 has the factory solar with inverter and two 100 watt solar panels on the roof. Don't use the inverter much.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    I just confirmed by looking under my bed. No Flo tank. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @Deb55, so you are only going to have one yellow flipper valve, and the hot water tank low point drain should have emptied the boiler, but you need to use the yellow flapper valve to verify it has been drained, and drain any remaining water in this valve also.  The hot water low point drain may not drain all the water, and you need to drain any remaining water from the pressure relief valve unit also, which opening this yellow lift handle valve will do.

you can find the month and year your TaB400 was built, it is on the Vin No. sticker on the tongue (drivers side), pls post what month/year your TaB was built.  I am trying to document when certain features like the Flo became standard features.  Thanks
    cheers
  • Options
    @DenisP, can I ask what month and year your TaB400 was built?  Info is on the Vin Sticker on the driver’s side of the tongue.  Thanks, trying to work when features like the Flo, solar panel options and type of options became available.
    Cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16 the build date is March 20, 2018
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Thanks.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @Denny16 I lifted the yellow valve, and only a little bit of water came out.

The build date on our T@B 400 is March, 2018. BTW, ours did not come with solar--we went to NuCamp and had it added, along with the Victron battery monitor a couple of years ago. We don't have an inverter in ours, either, or a microwave. 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Reading this thread and just doing mine I followed a tip from 320 owners winterization steps who said after flipping the yellow flapper on the Alde hot water, raise the front about a half a bubble or more and the tank may then drain the full gallon or so it contains. When level mine drained only a bit, but a lot started draining when I lifted the tongue. Worth a try

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    The 320 with Nautilus models have the fresh tank drain (and pickup) that now comes off the rear as well, so jacking up the front helps to drain the fresh tank, plumbing lines and Alde.  The pre-Nautilus model 320s fresh tank drain comes off the front of the tank, so lower the front to expedite emptying.
  • Options
    tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    DenisP said:
    @deb55 it is highly unlikely you have a flo with your 2018 400 as you and I purchased campers from DuFours from the same trailer load of 400’s. My 400 is configured with an Alde 3020, 2 6v AGMs but no flo system. 
    We got our 400 at DuFours as well, March 2018 build ! No Flo on ours. Great deal when we got ours, they had about 20 of them on the lot. Only been back once since, they were no longer selling new RVs, just used and servicing. Do you go through them for service or have you found someone else?

2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • Options
    @tphaggerty Dufour's is out of business, unfortunately. The owner retired and closed the place down. They had such a great service department too, and only a half hour from our house! Now we go to Dan Kearney's in Rutland VT.  It's a 3 hour trip each way, but they are a fantastic place for service, and it's a really nice trip to their location. There could be worse places to get work done, that's for sure!