Options

Advice from 2020 400 owners with Air 8, possible purchase

Hello. I'm looking to purchase a used Tab 400, possibly within the next 4 months. It seems as though the 2020s are the most abundant models at this time. I have definite preferences for the outside color and interior layout, and presently I have spotted two units (one reasonably close) which fit the bill. One has been retrofitted with the Cool Cat, the other still has the original Air 8. I understand the deficiencies of the Air 8 in the 400. My question: Are there any 2020 400 owners who still have the Air 8, and are content with it? I live in the north central US, and will probably doing most of my travel in the northern half of the country. (That still does not preclude that there would be some hot, humid days.) One plus of the Air 8, as I see it, would be not having the ugly cut-out on the sidewall. But is the intake on the underside problematic? Is the Air 8 at all useful, or would I regret the purchase? Thanks for any comments or advice!

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    I don’t own one, but I’d take the CoolCat model if for no other reason than virtually any RV service tech will be able to fix it, and as an industry standard, parts are likely to be available for it for some time. The Air8 is a much less well known product, and if something goes sideways with it, getting it repaired will likely be more difficult.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    WohnwagenWohnwagen Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    We have the Air8, and have camped numerous times in 90-degree temps and have been fine with it. We live in the mid-Atlantic area. We're on the slim side and pretty active -- maybe that helps us be less AC-dependent.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The Air8 has other advantages over the CoolCat, it was designed for RVs, has a remote located thermostatic control unit, and is easier to run of an inverter/battery bank.  The CoolCat is a modified residential unit, thermostat control unit is in an odd location for reading temps, and it takes more power to startup and run.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks. So it seems as though the Air8 is not universally regarded as a bad unit, as long as brute power and capacity are not required. I've read elsewhere about some strange issues about cutting-out and temp settings, and these seem to be occasionally defective (wall) control units? Any major differences between the two, with regard to noisy operation? Is the Air8 otherwise repairable? Or is this the point at which owners swap-out for the CoolCat?
  • Options
    HBarryHBarry Member Posts: 25
    Have a 2020 which had the AIR8 in it when we purchased it. We’re in Vermont but we still see a pretty good number of summer days of 85+ and humid. In those conditions the AIR8 just didn’t keep the interior comfortable. A lot of how well it could keep up depended on how much shade was on the 400. In particular if the large rear window was catching sunlight there was no hope. The other thing I found objectionable about the AIR8 was the amount of vibration from the unit when you were sleeping. 
    The AIR8 was replaced under warranty  with the Coolcat. Night and day difference in performance. Very happy with Coolcat. The only negative is that it’s harder to access the storage space under the bed where the AIR8 was located compared to accessing the original space where the Coolcat now sits. All the bedding above the storage space makes it a bit difficult getting into that space. 

2020 Tab 400 BDL with Solar
    2013 Tacoma TRD with towing package
    Vermont
  • Options
    You could do what nüCamp did on the 2023, and convert the under bunk space formally occupied by the Air8 to a pull out drawer unit, or lift up front door…
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Thanks, HBarry. The factor of parking in sun vs. shade, while it can be overlooked, is no small consideration, not unlike a car. Amazing that could make or break the effectiveness of an AC unit. I guess that shows the marginality of the Air8.
    The allocation of storage, post-modification is a good point. I would reiterate Denny16, that a drawer modification under the bed would be best. Does anybody know, would Nucamp supply a drawer and fascia kit to do this? (It would be nice for everything to match properly.)
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    The nüCamp drawer unit they are now using on 2023 TaB400s, requires the face of the wardrobe/large fridge option area to be parallel with the wall, and not at an angle as it was on the early TaB400s.  It appears nüCamp started doing this with the 2020 model, so this might work for a 2020 TaB 400 also. 

That said, any good cabinet shop can make a drawer unit, given the dimensions of the space.  Remember to leave extra space under the drawer area form the water pipes and electrical cables that run across this area.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Planning to keep trailer many years, willing to boondock in shade (when possible) and carry a 200W suitcase solar unit -- go with Air8 if trailer price is lower than cost of solar suitcase unit. Not certain on longevity, occasional RV park use with plug-in, definitely go with CoolCat.
    We had Air8 and now CoolCat and have used neither. All dispersed camping. In partial shade we don't even bother to set up solar suitcase. State of Charge has never fallen below 85% overnight with 2-way refrigerator. NuCamp makes a great trailer!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    I found that this Pioneer 9k BTU under-bench heat pump AC unit is now being made. If one had 2020 Tab 400 (still) with Air8, might this be a viable replacement option? It could mount in the same location, and similarly vents through the floor. Sure would be nice not having to cut a hole in the front sidewall! Assuming this could be made to fit in the available space under the bed, seems it might be a less-invasive modification overall than the CoolCat upgrade. Any thoughts?

• Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    Unless you get a really good deal on the purchase, stay away. Even then, stay away. Over the past few years I have read many stories of trying to overcome the limitations of the Air8. Some people can live with it, but it's an issue that you know you'll have to deal with. Just avoid it. The CoolCat isn't perfect, but it works. I did add the EasyStart 364 modification that definitely made it that more quiet at night. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Suggestion and candor appreciated! Were I to pursue this particular rig, the Air8 deficiency would definitely be the bargaining chip. The plan is to wait until early 2023, see how depressed RV sales will get. There's also another rig I've got my eye on, much farther away, but already CoolCat-modified.