Options

First Trip with Tab 400 Boondock 2022

Took our first long trip (500 miles) with our Tab 400 BD 2022.Pulled it with 2015 Tacoma Pre-runner with V6 and towing pkg. Dealer had installed an Anderson weight distribution and anti sway hitch. I added helper springs to rear side of oem springs. ON way up to the camp site ( 250 miles) mostly on expressway we averaged 14 mpg going 55 to 60 mpg. I installed a scanguage to monitor my transmission temp it averaged 180f and would go up to 190f + when entering the highway or when climbing some hills in eastern Ohio around Zanesville. I only towed in 4th gear no overdrive or cruse control. Ambient temp was in high 80's with AC on. I took the chains off the Anderson hitch to see how would handle on the way back. I did not notice any difference in handling no sway and truck and  tab were level. NO wind to speak of and no sway when trucks were passing and believe me everybody was passing when I am only going 60mph. Same mpg going home and same transmission temp. I am going in install a bigger transmission cooler in place of oem cooler as a precaution of higher temp when we hit the mountins out west. For now I AM leaving the chains off the hitch and storing them in the container with the propane tank, Maybe if its very windy I might need them or when going down the MTS out west. Let me know if you have any thoughts or comments Sincerely Tim and Laurie -

Comments

• Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Without the chains an Anderson hitch is nothing but a hitch ball and ball mount.  The friction sway control is a cone under the ball.  The coupler will rotate on the ball, rather than on the friction cone.

Know that helper springs on the truck's rear axle only prevents some sag at the rear.  They provide no weight distribution.  The purpose of a weight distribution hitch is to restore weight to the steering axle, therefore restoring stability, steering control, and braking.  When selecting a weight distribution hitch, the trailer hitch (tongue) weight AND the weight of gear loaded in the tow vehicle behind the rear axle must be considered.

While an Anderson hitch is a decent sway control device, when using it I found the weight distribution chain contraption of limited value as a weight distribution device.  I replaced it with a hitch using conventional weight distribution (spring) bars capable of the load it carried.

The only way you will know if your truck's rear axle is overloaded and if too much weight has been removed from the steering axle, is to go to a Cat (truck) scale and weigh your unloaded truck only to get it's unloaded axle weights.  

Then go back with the hitched rig loaded for travel, and compare the rear axle weight with Gross Vehicle Axle Weight (GVAW).  Compare the steering axle weight with the unloaded steering axle weight to learn how much weight has been removed from the steering axle.  The manufacturer should give you the recommended amount of weight that should be restored to the steering axle with a weight distribution hitch.  Too much weight restored will cause oversteer and too little weight restored will cause understeer, both undesirable conditions.  Some experienced travelers like the added weight to be split evenly on the truck's two axles.

You can also compare the trailer's axle weight, as the CAT scale will give you the weight of all three axles.  

It's a very simple and inexpensive procedure.

A word of caution carrying a heavy hitch load and heavy loads in the back of the truck on a light truck such as a Tacoma, the weight distribution hitch may not be able to distribute much weight due to flex of the truck's frame, and may bend the truck's hitch receiver mounting system.

Light truck's are designed to carry light loads, so plan your travel gear and passenger weight accordingly.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    TimandLaurieTimandLaurie Member Posts: 19
    Thanks Doug all very good advice. Was plaining on going to cat scale when we go on a longer trip and have more load in truck and camper. As i said truck and camper were level and stopping and steering were good. I had the chains off to see what is would do without the anderson system. Tim
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    Best of luck with your 400 @TimandLaurie. We have a 320S BD and love it, but with 2 dogs, things are a bit tight and we're considering moving to the larger camper.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    ImNotThereYetImNotThereYet Member Posts: 34
    Love your last comment! I stay at 55 mph, not because I’m retired, but I feel it’s just safer when towing. Mostly the minute you try and go faster, you are constantly speeding up and slowing down, so for me it’s just more relaxing to keep that speed and let everyone else do the stress of speeding up and slowing down. I wish you the very best in your retirement!
    2023 TAB 320 Boondock towing with a 2006 Highlander-www.donjohnsmusic.com
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, towing at 50-55 mph is the sweet spot for max fuel economy and least stressful trip.  This is what I always do, who cares if it takes me an hour longer to get there, I enjoy the journey as much as the destination…  B)
     cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.