Options

Several broken screws on brackets that hold the underside cover

Hello, has anyone seen any issues with the metal support brackets that hold the underside cover?

I was crawling under my 2022 T@B320S and found several screws holding the large sheet of protective undercover to be broken. I've only used the trailer for one summer so far so this is concerning as if it comes off while I'm driving it could puncture one of my tires or get loose and hit cars behind me.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I think I need to drill the old screws out and put new screws in but the question is how long are these screws? I guess I will have to remove an existing one out to find out. Weird...

2022 T@B 320S Boondock
2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Instagram: new.t@bventure

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,301
    edited April 2023
    This is one of the head shakers we've found with our T@B. For the most part it's a quality build, but the sloppy attachment of the splash pan is not one of their better features.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    I had a few broken on mine also. If there was a gap or sag I just drilled a hole and put a new one in about an inch away from the broken one. Most likely everyone has broken ones from the factory.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 207
    SLJ said:
    I had a few broken on mine also. If there was a gap or sag I just drilled a hole and put a new one in about an inch away from the broken one. Most likely everyone has broken ones from the factory.
    Thanks, I'm assuming you used Stainless Steel screws for the news ones? How long are they?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm assuming you used Stainless Steel screws for the news ones? How long are they?
    I used 3/4 inch as it's what I had. I've removed a couple of the originals to access underneath when running wire. If I remember, they were 1/2 - 3/4.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    Thank you for this. I couldn't figure out what to search on
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    "Coroplast" is one of the wonderfully goofy things I've learned about since being in this group!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I just got a very fast (minutes) response from Nucamp
    ==================================
    Hi Eric,

Thank you for being a part of the nuCamp family.

We are sorry that you are having issues with the underbelly. The screws needed to re-attach the material are #6x 3/4" stainless.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Have a great day, 
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,214
    Unless they’ve switched to stainless steel screws I find it hilarious they’re telling you to use stainless steel screws. Mine were breaking off and they were just galvanized. 

Somebody posted about their plastic exterior trim falling off which was partially due to over-driven screws. What’s going on with the coroplast cover seems to be the same thing along with a bit of corrosion.

They either need to train their people on how to use an impact driver properly or switch to a clutched drill. These campers have stripped out or overly-driven screws everywhere and it’s leading to a plethora of issues. I found so many stripped out screws in the interior cabinetry. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 83
    @Maple_Geek:  I ask NuCamp about bellypan screws and got a different answer.

Thank you for being a part of the nuCamp family.

​You will want to use a self tapping #8x 1" screw. You can just put them in next to where the other screws broke off.

​If you have any other questions please let us know.

2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90
  • Options
    I counted nine broken screws from the factory when I bought my 2021. More of an issue for me was the wheel lug nuts were all way over torqued which could have easily lead to a catastrophic wheel failure on the highway.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2023
    There are few fasteners on our 2021 that ARE properly installed.  

Yes the Coloplast scrim was installed with ferrous not stainless self tappers.  Nucamp setting gapped crooked heads, overdriving, and not predrilling, mean a large number were sheared off or stripped when I had to remove them for maintenance work. 
     Rather than woodpecker the very thin structural C channels with more holes I backed or drilled out failures and replaced all with ss no.12 hex/washer head sheetmetal screws, predrilled.

No cabinetry screws were predrilled, causing widespread splitting and veneer failures.  Sink overhead cab doors fell on our heads as they did not drill and fully seat short hinge screws.

Circuit breaker screw terminals were overtorqued with gun and stripped, some not reusable and one loosely jiggling 120v feeder.

Were this a building I could cite ICBO fastener codes and fail them all.  A contractor would be in serious legal jeopardy for such poor workmanship.  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck